CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

breeding mice

Old 12-28-2010, 01:15 AM   #11
dirtymaxLB7
How long do the frozen mice keep? I just want to have back up food but i dont want it to ruin or something.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:21 AM   #12
MysticExotics
generally about 6 months

Old 12-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
dirtymaxLB7
ive been reading different views n this but if i have 2(maybe3) females with one male can they all stay together through the births and everything?

Old 12-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
ZoologyGirl
I have 1.2 and 1.3 colonies (1 male to 2-3 females) and I never take the males out.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #15
baitman
i have 1 male with 4 females in a 2 ft tank (20 gallon) they stay together all the time and have babies in the same nest where all the females will feed all the babies.......

never had any probs yet.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #16
dirtymaxLB7
thats what i thought too but i saw like two sites that said you have to totally isolate the female but i figured that would be such a pain andthen one told me that they actually help each other even the male so thanks for clearing that up

Old 12-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #17
atmox
I'm considering this too. For 2 snakes what ratio would you recommend? And how do you kill them? COČ seems to be the best option but than i'd have to build a COČ chamber and than would ruin the benefit of breeding them myself and i just as well could get them F/T. (The reason i'm considering to do this for only 2 snakes i because i still don't know any large mice/rats breeders here that ship to belgium)

Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #18
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymaxLB7 View Post
thats what i thought too but i saw like two sites that said you have to totally isolate the female but i figured that would be such a pain andthen one told me that they actually help each other even the male so thanks for clearing that up
IMO, that adds more stress to them, moving them back & forth.
I've had no problems keeping my colonies together all the time. Like mentioned earlier, they work together with caring for the babies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmox View Post
I'm considering this too. For 2 snakes what ratio would you recommend? And how do you kill them? COČ seems to be the best option but than i'd have to build a COČ chamber and than would ruin the benefit of breeding them myself and i just as well could get them F/T. (The reason i'm considering to do this for only 2 snakes i because i still don't know any large mice/rats breeders here that ship to belgium)
How old are your two snakes?
With only two snakes, you can probably get away with a 1.1 ratio, since they tend to have close to 10 or more babies at a time.
If the snakes are older, you will need a grow out bin, for the babies to get to the size you need to feed them at. (You don't want to keep the babies in with the adults, because they will be trying to breed as soon as their mature.)

Pinkies you can put into the freezer. Without fur, they lose their body temp rapidly. Do not use the freezer method for anything with fur-it takes too long for them & they suffer as they die slowly.

It's fairly easy to make a CO2 chamber. Pick up a CO2 canister from any place that sells paintball equipment, along with some hose & fittings. Get an airtight container, to put the rodents in, drill a hole just big enough for the end of the hose to fit in tightly, near the bottom of the bin. Drill 1 or 2 small holes near the top or in the lid, on the opposite side of the container, (these are for oxygen to escape).
Put the rodents in the bin, & close the lid. Stick the hose in the hole near the bottom, turn on the tank (you don't need to turn it on very much, you want a slow flow in to the container-if you have too high of flow, the CO2 canister will freeze up & you will need to wait for it to thaw before you can use it again.)
Have a leather glove or good work glove handy, the CO2 canister will get cold.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #19
atmox
My corn is an 8 months old (i guess) but i asked in preparation for the BCI i will buy next fall. I want to be ready for everything before i have the boa here at home.

Sound like a plan to make it, any idea how much COČ costs and how long it will last? Probably gonna have to buy it from a hardware store or aquarium shop (there are no paintball shops near my location)

Old 12-28-2010, 11:14 PM   #20
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmox View Post
My corn is an 8 months old (i guess) but i asked in preparation for the BCI i will buy next fall. I want to be ready for everything before i have the boa here at home.

Sound like a plan to make it, any idea how much COČ costs and how long it will last? Probably gonna have to buy it from a hardware store or aquarium shop (there are no paintball shops near my location)
Anywhere that sells paintball stuff..you will have to check your area for prices.
How long it lasts will depend on how much you use it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google