CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

buying frozen ones vs breeding my own

Old 04-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #21
Christen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorgrim View Post
I dont jnow if i would want to give my snake dogfood is the bigger question .

I buy mice of the internet from the mouse factory. Work buddies and i get together and order around 1000 mice maybe twice a year? We get a discount because of the ordeder size and get a huge box of dryice to play with haha! Each mouse ends up costing pennies and it keeps me stocked year round!

Also . Anyone in the md area who wants to hop in on my orders let me know lol. I ned to make anither one here in a few months
I enjoy my dry ice more than I think the snakes enjoy their mice. We just got an order from Rodent Pro yesterday and today we have a few dry ice bombs. We even stuck dish soap and in bowl of water. The kids had a great time scooping up the bubbles and clapping their hands together so the "smoke" would come out.

It is a great way to have fun after a day of sorting mice.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #22
dwyn127
I had a local pet shop that would sell me a pregnant female mouse. I'd raise the babies to the size I needed and give the female back to the pet shop along with a couple of Normal hatchlings. Was a great arrangement with only a handful of hatchlings around.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #23
Emanon
If it is only one I would buy live weekly... I have a bunch so I buy frozen. I did the breeding thing and it was more mess and smell to deal with and was not worth it.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:09 AM   #24
Fishy
i cant buy live weekly since my petstore doesnt sell the right kind of mice i need and i would have to go out of my way to find a petstore that sells the babies. my petstore is less then a mile away

Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #25
lunaticzx10r
dang fishy i wish i lived in texas. i breed and sell mice and rats and when i seen u say that a mouse is 5 dollars. dang. my mice sell for .75 cent each and if u buy 50 at one time i sell them for $30 for all. but if u are going to raise ur own mice u will only need one mouse. they will have babies every 21 days. and after another 21 days the first litter can be taken away and she will be giving birth again if not all ready. i take it you have a corn snake so if ur just going to feed them pinkies then u will need to kill them. best why is to use co2. let me know if u need any more info.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #26
Wyldrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaticzx10r View Post
dang fishy i wish i lived in texas. i breed and sell mice and rats and when i seen u say that a mouse is 5 dollars. dang. my mice sell for .75 cent each and if u buy 50 at one time i sell them for $30 for all. but if u are going to raise ur own mice u will only need one mouse. they will have babies every 21 days. and after another 21 days the first litter can be taken away and she will be giving birth again if not all ready. i take it you have a corn snake so if ur just going to feed them pinkies then u will need to kill them. best why is to use co2. let me know if u need any more info.
If your going to breed them you will need two not one. A male and a female can produce a litter every 20ish days.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #27
lunaticzx10r
right

yeah my bad yes u will need 2. male and female.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #28
pheonix
I've read that co2 is not a good method to kill pinkies at all. Newborns are capable of being sat on by their mother with limited oxygen, so it would take them a long time to die in a co2 chamber. In fact, the best way to kill PINKIES is to put them straight into the freezer imo. They are hairless so they can't keep in heat very well and die quickly.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #29
lunaticzx10r
yeah ur right i just put all my in a bag and push out as much air as i can and put them right into the dry ice freezer for a couple hours.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #30
TheGentileScribe
I actually considered buying frozen pinkies in bulk just because I have a huge deep freezer with very little in it as it is. I refuse to feed live ever because of the danger to my snake. Pinky is only about a month old, so I will be going on pinkies for quite a while.

A bag of 100 extra small pinkies = $35 at www.rodentpro.com
For each size increase, the bag goes up by $5 all the way up to $65 for hairless hoppers. The larger ones vary. But that seems to be cheaper than buying them individually in the store.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google