CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

buying frozen ones vs breeding my own

Old 03-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #41
Carpe Serpentis
I spend about .50 cents on my bedding each time I change it. Food is a combination of table scraps, chicken feed, and bird seed formula... again... pennies out of my pocket as I buy 15 lb bags from our tractor store.

As for feeding live or dead... that is up to the individual, but there is nothing saying you can't raise live and then feed them dead to your snake or even freeze for that matter if your worried about parasites. I do spend a little money on liquid vitamins I feed my mice mixed into their water though as I think the healthier my mice are the healthier my snakes, dragon, arachnids, etc. will be from eating them. I don't know how store bought frozen mice are taken care of, but I think mine get enough diversity in their diet plus the vitamins I give them to make them healthy enough. I even feed my mice cabbage, collards, green beans, etc., but again these are mostly scraps that we would have thrown into our compost heap if it were not for having our mice.
I think I'm doing a good job and it makes me happy to be able to select out the sizes that are most appropriate for my animals as for me at least, I've noticed a considerable difference in sizes of the frozen mice I have purchased.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #42
Ana Sofia R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Serpentis View Post
As for feeding live or dead... that is up to the individual, but there is nothing saying you can't raise live and then feed them dead to your snake or even freeze for that matter
In my opinion, live mice is not that good. Of corse you take care of it and they are healthy... but in some snakes it turn them too agressive. Probably isn't your case...
Rise them to give them death takes it more expensive but there's the point of "I know they don't have problems". Im my case, I totally trust the place I buy it ^^

Old 03-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #43
pheonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Sofia R View Post
In my opinion, live mice is not that good. Of corse you take care of it and they are healthy... but in some snakes it turn them too agressive.
Proof? I mean how many snakes have you had that were angels when they were fed f/t and are now demons cause you switched them to live? My snakes practically lunge out of the tub when they think I have food. Sometimes in hunting mode and about to bite. I've been bit when feeding them even. They wrap the mouse with a whole lot of "aggression". And I feed frozen thawed.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #44
Carpe Serpentis
Just because you raise life mice, doesn't mean you have to feed them to them live.

Kill them before you feed them. Easy fix. Freeze them when you have too many.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #45
Ana Sofia R
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
Proof? I mean how many snakes have you had that were angels when they were fed f/t and are now demons cause you switched them to live? My snakes practically lunge out of the tub when they think I have food. Sometimes in hunting mode and about to bite. I've been bit when feeding them even. They wrap the mouse with a whole lot of "aggression". And I feed frozen thawed.
First of all I was talking to Carpe Serpentis. I never said it was a fact, it was my opinion and i said "IN SOME SNAKES". You have you snakes, others have theirs I have mine and none are the same neither have the same actions. And its kind of obvious that its more likely to be aggressive with live mice.
So read it the right way before you comment

Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #46
Ana Sofia R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Serpentis View Post
Just because you raise life mice, doesn't mean you have to feed them to them live.

Kill them before you feed them. Easy fix. Freeze them when you have too many.
that's what I said... but its more expensive in my case. so I prefer to buy frozen ones and I totally trust where I buy it

Old 03-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #47
Carpe Serpentis
I understand what you are saying now. I didn't however at first. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #48
pheonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Sofia R View Post
First of all I was talking to Carpe Serpentis. I never said it was a fact, it was my opinion and i said "IN SOME SNAKES". You have you snakes, others have theirs I have mine and none are the same neither have the same actions. And its kind of obvious that its more likely to be aggressive with live mice.
So read it the right way before you comment
I'm not aloud to talk to jump in on this conversation? You never said it was your opinion. You said, "in some snakes it turns them too agressive." That is a statement that implies you have at least some knowledge of an actual case where a snake underwent the change from docile to agressive simply because he was fed live. Which, at this point in time, I don't think you do have that knowledge. You assume that feeding a snake live mice will make it more agressive based on no experience, it seems. Please explain why feeding live would make said changes in their attitude? Sorry if this comes off as rude.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #49
Carpe Serpentis
Live mice around here (Wendell to Cary) North Carolina go for anywhere from 2$-7$ depending on whether it is labeled as a feeder mouse or a fancy mouse.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #50
Ana Sofia R
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
I'm not aloud to talk to jump in on this conversation? You never said it was your opinion. You said, "in some snakes it turns them too agressive." That is a statement that implies you have at least some knowledge of an actual case where a snake underwent the change from docile to agressive simply because he was fed live. Which, at this point in time, I don't think you do have that knowledge. You assume that feeding a snake live mice will make it more agressive based on no experience, it seems. Please explain why feeding live would make said changes in their attitude? Sorry if this comes off as rude.
I never said you can't enter de conversation... but the way you did it was like "i bet you don't understand anything about that" :s
and yes, I know a lot of cases of snakes that turn too aggressive and the owners can't handle it... they just try to give it away to another owner because they start to bite a lot. and if you done a quick research you can find a lot of people saying the same as I do. More then the ones saying the opposite. I don't assume anything neither want any knowledge LOL what I won with that? And you thread me... and didn't notice "in my opinion" --' and it was the first thing I said..
but ok, just chill!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google