CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

13 bucks for 6 pinkies?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
JessKeen
13 bucks for 6 pinkies?

So my baby just came today from BHB, she's my first snake so I am a novice at where to get her food. I went to petsmart today and the only option available for pinkies was a tiny box of 6 for 13 bucks. This seems absolutely outrageous to me, I bought it anyway because obviously I needed to have some in the freezer.

Is there a better way? Is this a normal price for pinkies?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Mark_L
My local pet store (LLL Reptiles) in San Diego has live pinkies and fuzzies for $1 each. Frozen are 10 for $6. Bulk buys are even cheaper. I would look around and compare. A store that specializes in reptiles would be a good place to start. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
JessKeen
Thanks, I know of a couple stores relatively close by that specialize in exotics, I'll call around before I buy again

Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
Nanci
For that much, you should just order a bag of 50 from Big Cheese. Their shipping is very reasonable. You could even add a bag of fuzzies.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
JessKeen
Will my baby use up 50 pinkies before she moves up to fuzzies? Might be a dumb question, sorry.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:20 PM   #6
JessKeen
I mean, obviously you can't know how big/old my snake is, I just got her today and I would say about 13 inches and bigger around than a pencil, but smaller than a sharpie. I'm just asking the typical baby...if there is such a thing

Old 02-27-2014, 05:48 AM   #7
Nanci
Well, a bag of large pinks is only $10- and 50 fuzzies are $12.50. The worst that could happen is you have to vacuum seal the bag and save them for your next baby! But you can feed double pinks for a while, to use them up, too.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:57 AM   #8
rich333
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessKeen View Post
Will my baby use up 50 pinkies before she moves up to fuzzies? Might be a dumb question, sorry.
No such thing as a dumb question. Without questions we do not learn.

Probably not. BUT.... Do the math.... You could buy a car with the money your spending on 6 pinkies at a time. Bulk is always better/cheaper. Besides, if you think you're never gonna have a second or third corn.... You're sadly mistaken!

Old 02-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Alli_Draggy
I'd also suggest calling local universities. If they have reptiles, they probably buy in bulk, and you may be able to piggyback on an order and save on shipping.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
Alicia P
You could list your extras on craigslist or post asking if anyone wants to go in on an order with you. Likewise if you use facebook, there might be a local reptile group where you could find someone to order with or sell your extras too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google