• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heads Up: Salmonella outbreak tied to PetSmart mice

A small rat is $12.99 at my local PetSmart. I'm surprised they've ever sold one.

It's a single frozen packaged sm rat. I guess people think "It only cost $13 a week to feed my BP, that's not so bad."

$12.99 across the board....PetSmart has a strict policy of no live feeder mice sold to customers or offered to in-house livestock (= snakes and lizards for sale). I always loved peoples reactions when I'd inform them I couldn't sell them a live mouse, rat, gerbil, guniea pig for feeder purposes. Back to strict policy, it was 2008 and I was a Museum Naturalist curating a Nature Center. I remember walking into the local PetSmart, and the Pet Care Manager whom I had a great professional relationship with, heard I was in store and came up to me all excited because corporate was finally clearing stores to sell snakes. The strict no live policy was "loosened" so the company could start selling snakes. The policy, as I was originally told, was in place due to PetSmart not believing in selling animals as food for other animals; nevermind the thousands of feeder fish and insects though. :/

they are packaged as follows:
6 pinkie mice, 6 fuzzies, 6 small mice, 4 medium mice, 4 large mice, 2 small rats, 1 medium rat.

When I started in 2010 they were $9.99, when I resigned in Dec 2013 there was talk of another price jump coming on them, feeder fish, and live feeder insects.

Typically for $20 + shipping you can get a 100 count of pinkies from just about any frozen rodent supplier. :shrugs:

$12.99 across the board. they are packaged as follows: 6 pinkie mice, 6 fuzzies, 6 small mice, 4 medium mice, 4 large mice, 2 small rats, 1 medium rat.

Typically for $20 + shipping you can get a 100 count of pinkies from just about any frozen rodent supplier. :shrugs:

And "across the board" also applies to most pet shops and feed stores. I just paid $13 for 6 pinkies the other day from our local feed store. That was okay when it was one snake, for 5 or 6 who were eating all the way up to XL mice I would be in the poorhouse. Amen for suppliers and living near other corn owners to share shipping expenses!

And "across the board" also applies to most pet shops and feed stores. I just paid $13 for 6 pinkies the other day from our local feed store. That was okay when it was one snake, for 5 or 6 who were eating all the way up to XL mice I would be in the poorhouse. Amen for suppliers and living near other corn owners to share shipping expenses!

Yup, local mom & pop type store charged $1.49 for pinks IIRC. I'd get the rest of my feeders from petsmart due to my employee discount. The fact that I maintained an accurate inventory within our pet care dept also equated to a constant, assumingly fresh supply of feeders and pets so long as the vendors had stock.

Even then, it wasn't cheap though.

Let's put numbers to it, based upon petsmart's pricing and what we as a community know WE can get the mice for from a supplier (let's use Rodent Pro as an example). Keep in mind, this pricing isn't whatever deal Reptile Industries gets for outsourcing frozen rodents (per the article). This is a comparison of petsmarts pricing ($12.99 per box) against Rodent Pro's current pricing (orders under 500) to show what you the consumer pay. This does not factor in shipping, discounts, and all those other fun business degree equations. Oh, and revenue per unit is calculated using the rodents per box I listed in post #6.

Also keep in mind, what I know as a medium mouse, the petsmart box has as a small adult. What I know as a small adult, the box has as a hopper. What I know to be a large mouse, the box has a standard adult. Small rat, more like a weanling rat. Medium rat is more like a small rat. I adjusted pricing to reflect such. It's rather a joke on the sizing and frankly a ripoff.

Attachments

• petsmartrodentfigures.jpg
    petsmartrodentfigures.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Here's a better article, giving the source of the mice.

Thank you for giving the source. I don't have much of a loyalty (=I needed a paycheck) to PetSmart any longer, but one thing that always p***ed me off was we'd get the beating if we got crappy fish or reptiles in and not the vendor. Neither of those groups of animals went through any type of quarantine period before hitting the store sales floor. Only small animals (=rodents) and birds had a quarantine and that was 3 days for rodents and 5 days for birds.

Oh the stories I could give of the condition some of the reptiles we received from some of the large, well-known names in the industry and the crap I'd get for the vet bills my store would have at times.

These crazy prices of feeders and knowing the condition they are kept in are a couple of the many reasons I breed my own.

And "across the board" also applies to most pet shops and feed stores. I just paid $13 for 6 pinkies the other day from our local feed store.

Wow, I sell pinks 10 for $5 and people still complain! I have once had a customer leave b/c they thought that was too much "They're just a few cents online" and then drive to Petsmart (15+ miles away) and try to put together an online order for their single hatchling snake. About two hours later they came back and bought pinks.

I don't understand the logic behind wanting 766% markups -but especially when you have competition.

Wow, I sell pinks 10 for $5 and people still complain! I have once had a customer leave b/c they thought that was too much "They're just a few cents online" and then drive to Petsmart (15+ miles away) and try to put together an online order for their single hatchling snake. About two hours later they came back and bought pinks.

I don't understand the logic behind wanting 766% markups -but especially when you have competition.

That's a pretty dang good price for a pet store! The reptile stores I have been to usually charge $1.00-$1.10 per pinky.

I bought some of these about three weeks ago. The local store charges two fifty for hoppers. I'm so mad now. Gah I will order online next time.

For one snake, that can be tough to do. It won't be on hoppers long, and they usually come 50 to a bag. And with shipping, you have to buy a good bit for it to be a bargain. But if your local store is that bad, you might come out cheaper buying online, you'll just have to do the math.

I'm very lucky to have a local store that offers tiered discounts on feeders - his best pricing is at 200+ feeders....so even though it's still a bit more than ordering online, I get 200 at a time and support a local business. :)

Times when I have been in a bind, I have gone waayyy across town to a great all around family-owned pet and supply store. They have a giant of a bearded lizard there...and juveniles.

They sell live mice no questions asked. The large tasty juicy luscious lip-smacking adult mice go for $3 a piece. Never bought more than 8 or 12 in a visit, so no large scale endeavour.

I like going there. They have the supplies, and corals, to make a nice reef aquarium. Which I soooooo want,...with the human needed to probably keep it looking good (which they _don't_ supply...). LOL.

My local pet store charges 1.39 per pinky I wish I had a better place to go

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I bought some of these about three weeks ago. The local store charges two fifty for hoppers. I'm so mad now. Gah I will order online next time.

Check out Layne Labs. You can order smaller quantities, and they are on the west coast, in California.
Taht is where I geet my feeders from.
I am very happy with the quality!

Back