CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Storage

Old 05-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
jaymillz
Storage

What is the best way to freeze a bunch of feeders to avoid freezer burn without a vacuum sealer?

Old 05-27-2014, 05:35 AM   #2
Nanci
Buy a cheap Glad vacuum sealer at the grocery store. Then use quart and gallon sized bags, and put those inside sealed plastic containers, like those flip-lock type.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
jaymillz
Is there any way without using a vacuum sealer?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Old 05-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #4
smigon
I bought a vacuum sealer (hand pump) from Ziplock along with some bags for under $20.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymillz View Post

Yeah, do the same thing with freezer bags, and get the air out the best you can.

The advantage of the vacuum sealer is it gets the moisture-carrying air out. Moisture causes freezer burn. If you can eliminate it, the mice last longer.

The little ones you buy at the grocery store are super-cheap, and you can use the bags over and over. it's very cost-efficient.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
drybgerg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymillz View Post

Without some sort of sealer it's hard if not impossible to get the air out so they will still freezer burn eventually even if put into another locking type container.

I'd do as Nanci suggested and get the ziploc sealer, will make your life much easier as you won't have fuss with trying to remove the air each time you open the bag, just use the hand pump to pull out the moisture and your good to go.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
drybgerg
Just purchased the Ziploc Vacuum Starter Kit and a dozen quart bags for a total of $7.90. I've been playing around with it and will start using it instead of dragging out the food saver.

1. the bags are easier to open no cutting.
2. you can actually pump all the air out of several bags in the same amount of time it would take to get down the food saver.
3. bags are less expensive and reusable without cutting, food saver bags get smaller each use because you have to cut them open.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
jaymillz
Thank you I will have to look into getting one

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google