CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

i dont know if i can

Old 10-27-2006, 06:47 PM   #11
starsevol
I think your best bet would be to buy from a reputable breeder and make sure the little one is well started on thawed food.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:48 PM   #12
Dave123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~slither~
I don't know if you mean to thaw them out or kill them, but people actually put mice in the micro???? I'm not saying that you do, but whoever you've heard does that needs shooting. Cooked food aint good for sankys, and if it's to kill them then thats a terrible way to die.
Yeah i am wondering that too.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:09 PM   #13
chibitamalove
If you put mice in the microwave for a few seconds, it doesn't cook them, it only thaws them out. You're supposed to put them in on a "Defrost" or "Low" setting, or else they'll explode.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #14
starsevol
Ew... I just thaw them in warm water. I feed them wet and none of my snakes mind it.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #15
Roy Munson
You can't trust a microwave to heat evenly, so why risk it? Thaw in hot water-- the hottest you can get from the tap. I think a good rule of thumb is to heat the prey item in water that is just barely tolerable to YOUR finger...

Old 10-27-2006, 10:42 PM   #16
cornspot
I did give some hatchlings live pinky gerbils last year--put them in walked away!

Old 10-28-2006, 06:36 AM   #17
~slither~
I've never fed gerbils/hamsters myself, but I hear once they start on them it's hard to get them back on mice/rats which are much cheaper.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:17 PM   #18
cornspot
The gerbils were for the non feeder hatchlings. Everyone else gets mice.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:09 AM   #19
jenkva
I would disagree with putting the mice in the microwave to defrost as it dries out the mice with also the risk (like chibitamalove mentioned).
I put mine in hot water from the tap and while it is defrosting, I handle the snake being fed.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:48 PM   #20
chibitamalove
You can either just put the mouse in the water, or you can put the mouse in a baggie and then in the water.

By the way, I'VE never put a mouse in the microwave. I've just read that it can be done, with the risk of mice blowing up. I don't know if you guys have heard of this, but there's also an "urban legend" of an old lady who stuck her weiner dog into the microwave to dry it off and the dog exploded. True or not, I'm not putting mice into the microwave after that story.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google