CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

I just put 3 pinkies in the freezer *cries*

Old 08-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
diamondlil
Ok, I'm odd! I grew up with relatives raising pigs and cattle on small farms. My great uncle in particular absolutely loved his herd of free-range pigs. I was encouraged to pet the animals and to help choose which were going to slaughter as a natural thing. My uncle felt just because an animal was a worker or future food you could and should still be affectionate towards it. So I really do still like my feeder mice, and name the breeders, but stop short of naming each baby unless I decide it's a future breeder. I generally do stroke and talk to the feeders just before I cull them because it makes me feel better than if I just thwacked them.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #12
azzagoth
So by petting them first you make your own conscience feel better you mean? Interesting. I probably felt part like that too, "hey, if I'm gonna stick you in the freezer I should probably give you some love first." Made me feel less cold, but got me attached to them.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #13
starsevol
Sure it costs less to breed your own snakefood....but I don't care. I can always make more money. As much as I love my snakes, I doubt I could keep them if I couldn't buy pre-killed, pre-frozen food.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #14
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzagoth
So by petting them first you make your own conscience feel better you mean? Interesting. I probably felt part like that too, "hey, if I'm gonna stick you in the freezer I should probably give you some love first." Made me feel less cold, but got me attached to them.
Yep, by giving them good conditons to live in while I have them too. I like them!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:48 PM   #15
dwilliamsmms
My understanding is that freezing without killing 1st is an extremely painful/ inhumane death for even the youngest of animals. I can't do it. That's why I don't raise my own and buy frozens off the internet.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #16
bigjerm
By breeding your own, at least you know what your putting into your snakes belly.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #17
tom e
I think the general concensus has been that that's a very acceptible way to do it till they are furred. Then you should put them down before the freezer.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:37 PM   #18
azzagoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom e
I think the general concensus has been that that's a very acceptible way to do it till they are furred. Then you should put them down before the freezer.

This is what I've heard too, so I'll probably do it the same way next time. They are so little developed, and hardly feel any pain. I hope so anyways..

I agree with the other poster about knowing what we are feeding our snakes, this way we can monitor what the mice eat, their bedding, and their general health. Plus it saves money, which I would assume is a major motivator for most breeders.

It was just that those pinkies were so darn cute

Old 08-16-2007, 02:40 AM   #19
Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom e
Personally, I wouldn't freeze any mammal life, no matter how old they are...but that's just me. It take 2secs out of my day to kill them all, I'd rather spend those 2 secs and not risk them having a horrible, lingering death in the freezer...

I stroke my breeder mice etc etc but I don't get attached to them. But just because they are food or breeding food, does not mean that I mistreat them in anyway, they are very well taken care of, fresh food, water, bedding etc etc.

Much as I love my mice and rats, and I do, I just can't think of pinkies being cute...lol Fuzzies yes but not pinks! lol They look like little pink maggots with legs...lol

Old 08-16-2007, 03:49 PM   #20
JustineNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilliamsmms
My understanding is that freezing without killing 1st is an extremely painful/ inhumane death for even the youngest of animals. I can't do it. That's why I don't raise my own and buy frozens off the internet.

Yea. Something about their bodies being made up of water, and water expands when it freezes. Thats the pain part.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google