CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

I just put 3 pinkies in the freezer *cries*

Old 08-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #51
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Zulu
lol
this part sounds an awful lot like the meth dealers that say "well if they didn't get it from me they would just get it from someone else"

if that sort of attitude clears your conscience and allows you to sleep at night then more power to you
I know nothing of meth dealers, tyvm. This analogy would make alot more sense if buying frozen mice was illegal and ruined the lives of others.
We all do what we are capable of. We do what we can live with. I have kept snakes for over 12 years now and never would have gotten my first if frozen mice were not available to me. I have a boatload of respect for people who raise their own and humanely do what they have to do. They are made of stronger stuff than I am.
That said I despise the type of person who doesn't care one way or another if the death they orchestrate is humane because "itsjusta". And you know full well the kind of person I am talking about.
I shouldn't even have to explain this, but apparently I do.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #52
susang
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol
I shouldn't even have to explain this, but apparently I do.
I agree with you, you shouldn't have to explain, no one should. We all operate on different levels (not the word i like, but can't think of a dif word) some have no problem with raising food and killing it to feed, some do.
I guess I need to explain as it wasn't you, but someone did make the remark about "sleeping at night," which implies people who do raise animals for food shouldn't sleep well because they kill animals.
My belief and my belief alone is if I can't kill it I shouldn't eat it, I repeat this is my belief. My opinion is many of us have multiple carnivorous animals dogs, cats, snakes... we can't all raise the food for these animals. If I can buy it in a can I will, if I can raise it I will. If all you can do is buy it in a can you have every right to without explanation, just please don't make me feel sleepless because I do (not aimed at starvesol). susan

Old 08-17-2007, 04:26 PM   #53
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang
I agree with you, you shouldn't have to explain, no one should. We all operate on different levels (not the word i like, but can't think of a dif word) some have no problem with raising food and killing it to feed, some do.
I guess I need to explain as it wasn't you, but someone did make the remark about "sleeping at night," which implies people who do raise animals for food shouldn't sleep well because they kill animals.
My belief and my belief alone is if I can't kill it I shouldn't eat it, I repeat this is my belief. My opinion is many of us have multiple carnivorous animals dogs, cats, snakes... we can't all raise the food for these animals. If I can buy it in a can I will, if I can raise it I will. If all you can do is buy it in a can you have every right to without explanation, just please don't make me feel sleepless because I do (not aimed at starvesol). susan
Thank you Susang

Humane people have no reason to be sleepless, and inhumane people have no conscience, so they sleep just fine.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:26 PM   #54
susang
I'm so sorry but I have a question, not aimed at anyone. Has anyone seen how mice are commercially raised, I haven't. I have however worked on dairy farm, where pigs and veal calves were also raised. I have been to stockyards, slaughter houses, commercial egg farms, and chicken farms. These animals are not treated well are crowded in, forced to lay more eggs in a day then they would on their own. I don't drink milk and don't eat eggs anymore. I eat meat but if I think about it I start to gag. So I don't eat much meat anymore, because I don't farm anymore. I guess I know my answer about the way commercial mice are raised also, I'm glad I raise my own mice, susan

Old 08-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #55
starsevol
The guy I get my frozen mice from gets his frozens from NY, and also has his own. I can tell that my frozens are humanely killed with gas but I don't know how they are raised.

The guy I get them from uses pine (which is not a great bedding) for his live mice, and they are a bit crowded. But they ALWAYS have fresh food and water and the cages are cleaned regularly.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #56
Cat_Eyed_Lady
well, I am sure you Can guess the answer... because the one I seen makes me real hesitant to buy frozen online... I really prefer to raise my own.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #57
JustineNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Zulu
could be the apocalypse or it could be something as simple as getting stranded in the woods or lost at sea

the point is that just because someone else killed your food for you doesn't mean you don't have blood on your hands

do you people cry when you squash an ant or swat a mosquito?

And just because someone chooses to kill their own food does not make them better then I.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #58
JustineNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzagoth
So you're calling people who breed mice murderers who shouldn't sleep good at night?

Is that what I said? ROFLMAO...WOW

Old 08-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #59
JustineNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang

I am the one who made the comment about "Sleeping at night" As to that "IMPLYING" people who do raise animals for food shouldn't sleep well because they kill animals.....I dont know where the heck youd get that, in fact I specified

Quote:
.not taking away from anyone else who chooses to take that road, raise their own feed.....thats fine....its not for me though

If you read what I said, I said "I can sleep being a hypocrite"

I thought it was really crappy that hypocrite word was being thrown around....like someone is better then the rest of us who choose not to kill our own feed. Someone even went as far to throw a situation out there where "there are no supermarkets" a tad bit extreme from voluntarily owning snakes no?

For future reference, i dont imply things, if I feel people who kill their own feed shouldnt be able to sleep at night, Ill say it.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #60
susang
Ok you are correct about your quote Justine, you also said you'ld rather be a hypocrite than a murderer. Which could perhaps be lumped into one phrase "people who raise animlas are murderers and shouldn't sleep at night". I'm just taking a step back and looking at this whole thing. I don't feel any of us is better than the other for our views on raising our own food. I don't want you to feel bad because you can't kill an animal. Before I raised my own mice I had to get a feeder rat hopper, I couldn't kill it asked the guy at the pet shop so do it, not because I couldn't kill it, I hate rats, can't stand to touch them, they scare me to near death. The final straw to me raising my own feeders.
After this thread started I really did sit back and start watching my mice. They are cute and funny and very good parents. I won't buy anymore feeders because of all the reasons I stated before, so I am left with the problem kill mice or get rid of snakes, I like both. For me and just for me it would be hypocritical to ask someone else to kill mice for me, again this is only me. You have to do what you have to for your snakes. We both sleep at night and so does the butcher.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google