CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

can you feed cooked chicken?

Old 09-11-2007, 11:18 PM   #41
Cat_Eyed_Lady
well,I myself can be outspoken at times too. I actually prefer to deal with ppl who tell it like it is rather than the others... just my personal preferance

but I have to say this.... the guy who has my burm at his house feeds her whole chickens and she is doing wonderfully but this thread also brings to my mind about little baby corns who appear to be afraid of mice in any form... I hate force feeding and this thread is making me wonder if maybe offering a little peice of cooked chicken or a pinkie rubbed with that smell might help my last little hold out to eat?? What do you think?? this has made me very curious about it maybe helping little ones who dont want to eat.. would be great if it worked!! This might be an old thread but it does give another option to try

Old 09-11-2007, 11:31 PM   #42
Vinman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Eyed_Lady
well,I myself can be outspoken at times too. I actually prefer to deal with ppl who tell it like it is rather than the others... just my personal preferance

but I have to say this.... the guy who has my burm at his house feeds her whole chickens and she is doing wonderfully but this thread also brings to my mind about little baby corns who appear to be afraid of mice in any form... I hate force feeding and this thread is making me wonder if maybe offering a little peice of cooked chicken or a pinkie rubbed with that smell might help my last little hold out to eat?? What do you think?? this has made me very curious about it maybe helping little ones who dont want to eat.. would be great if it worked!! This might be an old thread but it does give another option to try
I have used the broth to sent pinkies and some took it that would not eat unsented pinkies

Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #43
Cat_Eyed_Lady
I tried that on her.... she is being super stubborn.. tried plain f/t, live, washed (2 dif kinds of soap) broth scented, tuna scented and lizard skin... I think I got them all we tried.... she hatched over 2 months ago so its been a real trial. She has been force fed many times to try to keep her weight up, she went from 6 grams to 4 grams... I am just out of ideas and I thought maybe This smell might work??

Old 09-11-2007, 11:50 PM   #44
Vinman
My best bet would be to FF as much as you can then put into brumation. When they come outr about 1/4 to 1/2 start to eat. Also change cage and wher tghe cage put it in another room is a diffrent set up wash with bleach everything and thas was in t . change everything the type of substrate you been usins ad dont fee it fo a week after you change the setup. Have you tried putting into a smasll continer with no holes for a 1/2 a hour in a dark closet.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:00 AM   #45
Cat_Eyed_Lady
What she is in now is a 3 cup gladware container with papertowel for substrate and of course a little condiment cup for water. for feeding... we have been leaving her in that same container but removeing everything but her and the mouse and then covering with a towel for 2 hours before peaking... tried leaving her there over night too but nothing has worked. I appreciate you trying to help me with my last little holdout... She is so small that every time I have to forcefeed her I am terrified that I will kill her.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:04 AM   #46
starsevol
I think there is an enormous difference between "telling it like it is" and acting like a jerk if someone disagrees with you or questions you. Remember, the truly great exude greatness. The ones who aren't so great have to keep reminding you just how incredibly wonderful and experianced they are! I sure as heck don't know everything. I don't have all the answers and never pretend to. Life is for learning.

That said, Cat-eyed lady, I am sorry your little girl is being such a handful! I have tried chicken in the past on non feeders, with no luck. I used breast meat but I wonder if they might have preferred dark meat (I know I do!). Maybe try turkey if chicken doesn't work. And have you tried scenting with tunafish? I always had the best luck with washing the pinkies in warm water and soap. If one soap didn't work, I would try another.

I think a huge problem is that in many cases its just a matter of finding the right "trigger". But considering that trying to feed them stresses them out you have to wait so many days in between. It's finding the "right trigger" before time runs out.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #47
Vinman
I hope the 3 cup glad ware is very small Dont get me wrong I have some hatchlings the do fine in a 16 oz deli cup others would not eat or only a couple of times I know it sounds funny but I would put her in a bigget cage around 5 gal critter cage and put a pinky ( newborn) at inght time . Set it up with a few hiding places.

starsevol, next time use the chicken or turkey fat . slow boil on low flame. you want to get that boiled chicken greese. use thigh or save chicken fat when you clean the chicken. My mom taught me before frying chicken to remone any big hunks of fat. I save this and give to my females wit a mouse after egglaying It pumps the back up. Heck if you dont maybe wasting a thigh Smash it with the back of a cleaver , break up all the bones so the marrow inin the water. That will give it a diffrent flavor. You know how mamales love the marrow in a kill. also you can try boil chicken skin. go to your bucher. when they make chicken cuttlets they throw away the skin you might get it free. Try turkey one never knows what the trigger is.

now with lizards I had hatchlings not take lizzards sent but eat a lizard. try mole skink, anole, eastren fence lizzards. tghese atre native lizards the are in the range and are the pray lizard of baby corns and most rat and king snake babies on the eastern cost of N. Amercia. I would never tell any one to do this because of pathingens and parrasites, but you may have to feed it a live small lizard. maybe some on the board might fence lizards or mole skinks if not bight the bullit and get a small wild caught from the local pet store

Old 09-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #48
starsevol
Thank you, Vinman.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #49
Vinman
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol
Thank you, Vinman.
your welcomed

Old 09-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #50
diamondlil
Calamity is still my fussiest feeder, at one point she would only eat the wings or thighs from f/t day-old chicks. I broke the thigh bones as much as possible before she ate the little drumsticks. Now she eats live or f/k mice most of the time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google