CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

can you feed cooked chicken?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #51
Vinman
I have heard of condro pythons breeders using soft chicken feathers on a moist pre washed pinky. I wonder if finch or cannery feathers would work from the local pet store.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #52
dizzl
Wow, This post really blew up. I was only asking a question for a substitute feeder while the pet store was out of pinkies. All of the arguing was not needed!! All you had to do was post your oppinion not bicker at each other. As far as the people that bashed Vin for experimenting you all are a little... ! Seems to me he has been doing this for some time and has a lot of knowledge of corns in the wild. I'm all for providing as much of a natural environment for my reptiles this includes giving them food that they would have access to in the wild or at least as close as possible. As for the people who did not bash eachothers opinions thank you for the advice.

I tried to feed a piece of cooked chicken but Marley did not eat it. Since then I have gotten a hold of some pinkies and she ate it fine. Thanks again.

Yes a lot of people here and on other forums seem a little over sensitive!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #53
Roy Munson
Sometimes there's more history than would be apparent to someone who's been here less than two weeks. Judge not lest ye be judged...

Old 09-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #54
Vinman
allright thats cool at least you found some mice good luck and wellcom to the show!!! I mean forum.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #55
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzl
I'm all for providing as much of a natural environment for my reptiles this includes giving them food that they would have access to in the wild.....
and then....

Quote:
I tried to feed a piece of cooked chicken...

regards,
jazz

Old 09-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #56
Ssthisto
Quote:
Wow, This post really blew up. I was only asking a question for a substitute feeder while the pet store was out of pinkies.
Out of curiosity... why not keep a dozen frozen pinks just in case this happens? Though I know not all corns will take f/t instead of live (which is the only reason I can think of for having to wait while a pet store is out... if one plans ahead and buys the frozen before they totally run out of food) it might be worth a try.

Quote:
I tried to feed a piece of cooked chicken but Marley did not eat it. Since then I have gotten a hold of some pinkies and she ate it fine. Thanks again.
Think about it this way.

Snakes like their steak rare. Really rare. Why would they want meat that's been cooked and toughened?

You might have had more success with raw chicken, but that's still just meat and does not have the mineral and vitamin content that your snake needs - that comes from the bones and gut contents. Meat's protein - which is good for growth - and fat - good for energy - but you can die of malnutrition eating nothing but muscle meat.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #57
Vinman
But is better than nothing I rather something than nothin. any way why dont you ask corn morphs about the snakes he is getting from me at the Hamm show . All the parents were on chicken diet before and after egglaying and ask him about the juvie's and adults that were raised up on a mostly cooked chicken diet

Old 09-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #58
Drewby07
Slightly off topic,

But I have a pair of Savannah Cats that I feed what is called a BARF diet. BARF stands for Bones And Raw Flesh and Biologically Appropriate Raw Food.....in reading up on it I always read that animal products given to other animals should NEVER be cooked....cooking destroys a LARGE portion of the nutritional value of the food. Also if an animal in the wild eats WHOLE animals, in camtivity it also needs WHOLE animals. The nutrients a snake would get from, say, a m,ouse or lizard or bird chick come from the WHOLE animal....skin, fur, feathers, organs, brains, eyes, stomach contents etc.

Now this always made sense to me......so I for one will not be feeding my snakes cooked chicken any time soon.

Just my .02.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #59
starsevol
I don't have a dog or cat but have heard wonderful things about the BARF diet. I know a vet who also runs a small animal rescue who swears by it. She had a chronically ill doberman that had digestive problems, a dislocated disk in his back, and cancer. Even with these problems, he was working in the field, winning obediance trials and playing like a puppy. His fur was like satin, so soft. He died in his sleep at the age of 9. She lost her best friend.

But she credits that diet for his great quality of life.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:47 PM   #60
dizzl
Exclamation

I'm all for providing as much of a natural environment for my reptiles this includes giving them food that they would have access to in the wild.....

and then....

Quote:
I tried to feed a piece of cooked chicken...

Like I said before: I did not plan on feeding cooked chicken as a staple only temporary.

You might have had more success with raw chicken, but that's still just meat and does not have the mineral and vitamin content that your snake needs - that comes from the bones and gut contents. Meat's protein - which is good for growth - and fat - good for energy - but you can die of malnutrition eating nothing but muscle meat.

I was only worried about the cleanliness of the chicken thats why I wanted to know to cook it or not.

Sometimes there's more history than would be apparent to someone who's been here less than two weeks. Judge not lest ye be judged...

First off I did not judge any one! I do not appreciate people who have to argue their point with others in a rude manner. All I did was ask for info, some gave their views respectfully while some acted like little school girls when they don't get their way. And I would love to see you or any one here judge me!!! You do not know me as I do not know you. All I know is if you or any one else were to judge me you would only do so knowing that you are safe far away from me!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google