CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

CO2 Mousicide

Old 03-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #11
Morph Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
No problem, I'll bow my head and walk away quietly.
:/ Thats not what I intended... I just wanted to hear everyones oppinion (no matter their skill level). If I offended you, that was not my intention.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
patm1313
Quote:
I really don't blame you. I know that I have put myself in a position where my advice sometiems can't be trusted. I'm trying to work on that...

But really, you thought I had no clue what I was talking about, and you said so. No big deal.

-Patm1313

Old 03-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
Roy Munson
Quote:
Don't worry, Wade. There are many of us who recognize the fact that opinion is the lowest form of knowledge. Modern society has elevated opinion to the realm of the sacred, when in fact it is usually of about the same value as the stuff you scrape off your shoe if you aren't attentive during your walk at the dog park. An informed opinion is a different story. I look forward to reading more of your informed opinions, Wade (and discounting the uninformed ones). If other members want to rely on the guesses of people who have no experience, don't let it get you down.

I've never euthanized with CO2, so I don't feel qualified to opine about it. I've purchased CO2 cannisters for other purposes, and I've read a hundred accounts of CO2 euthanasia. But since I've never used them to kill rodents, I wouldn't expect anyone to care about my opinions on the matter. Of course, It's not important for me to appear to be an expert in all things, so I'm comfortable keeping my mouth shut on topics about which I have zero practical experience.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #14
greatcornholio
So in regards to the homemade CO2 "killing machine" I tried it out the other night. Needless to say... if you can stand mice freaking out for a couple minutes as they suffocate and pass out it works just fine. Had one twitching when it was done but the other 10 died just fine. Works well for me. Although you need to be really careful the water doesn't freeze cause it gets wicked cold in the bottom of the tub... had some mice fur freeze to the tub with dry ice in it.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 AM   #15
Morph Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
Don't worry, Wade. There are many of us who recognize the fact that opinion is the lowest form of knowledge. Modern society has elevated opinion to the realm of the sacred, when in fact it is usually of about the same value as the stuff you scrape off your shoe if you aren't attentive during your walk at the dog park. An informed opinion is a different story. I look forward to reading more of your informed opinions, Wade (and discounting the uninformed ones). If other members want to rely on the guesses of people who have no experience, don't let it get you down.

I've never euthanized with CO2, so I don't feel qualified to opine about it. I've purchased CO2 cannisters for other purposes, and I've read a hundred accounts of CO2 euthanasia. But since I've never used them to kill rodents, I wouldn't expect anyone to care about my opinions on the matter. Of course, It's not important for me to appear to be an expert in all things, so I'm comfortable keeping my mouth shut on topics about which I have zero practical experience.
... ok ...

I guess screw it, I should keep smacking their heads together. Because this is worthless.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:19 AM   #16
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph Collector View Post
... ok ...

I guess screw it, I should keep smacking their heads together. Because this is worthless.
Now head-smacking is a rodent euthanasing method that I HAVE employed extensively in the past...

Old 03-31-2008, 10:55 AM   #17
wade
Quote:
Originally Posted by patm1313 View Post
I don't breed mice, and thus I don't kill them, but I would suggest just doing the paintball CO2 setup. It' easier to control, and is probably easier to get C02 tank refils then it is to get dry ice, and may be cheaper.
Ok, I have a few minutes and I will jump back into the fray for that amount of time.

I do breed mice and thus have killed many of them. I have cut back a great deal right now but at one time I was selling approximately 1000 mice a week to local pet stores and consuming approx. 300 mice per week myself. I personally have used the dry ice method, the paint ball method, and now use a 20# bottle of co2 from a local welding supply house. Based on that experience, this is my opinion. If you are going to be killing 20 or 30 mice a week, cervical dislocation is probably the easiest and least expensive way to go. Whacking their heads on a table edge works well but is not approved by PETA.

If you are going to be killing more mice than that or don’t like to break necks, then co2 is by far the best way to go. Dry Ice is readily available to me at the local grocery store. For a buck I can pick up a chunk on my way home from work or have my wife do so when she goes shopping (every d*** day of the week). That is easy and cheap.

If you want the convenience of having it at home and ready at any moment, then you need to get a canister to keep the gas in at home. A 20oz paint ball canister costs around 20.00 and you can get the valve and necessary fittings for another 10 or 15. The gas itself is inexpensive to the point of being a non-item.

You can go to much bigger gas bottles from welding supply houses but then you are talking a couple hundred bucks for the tank and regulator.

Which is best is entirely up to you and your personal circumstances and preferences.

Whichever method you chose, the co2 procedure is the same. Put the mice in the container first. Introduce the co2 slowly. It will put the mice to sleep. If they appear to be suffocating, it is probably because you added too much gas to fast. Let them go to sleep, then add enough gas to deprive them of oxygen until they are dead.

Don’t loose site of the fact that the whole point is to kill these animals. There is no nice way to kill things. That is a fact of nature. The methods I have outlined here are probably as close to nice as you can get. If that upsets you, you probably should sell your snake and get a rabbit.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #18
patm1313
So Wade, are we in agreement about C02? I'm trying to shut my hole, considering that you breed a couple thousand times the amount of mice I do (literally). But really, I have never found dry ice near me locally. I have found very large and impractable blocks of it at drink companies, though.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 PM   #19
wade
Where I live and everywhere that I have looked, it is avaliable at grocery stores. All grocery stores here. You can buy one pound or twenty, what every you want.

If I were only killing a few mice on occasion, I would use dry ice or some mechanical method. It would not be worth the trouble to get set up to use co2 gas.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 PM   #20
Flagg
That's definitely not the case everywhere. Here in the Chicago suburbs it's not sold in grocery stores. The only source is an ice company, and they sell dry ice 10 lbs minimum for $7.50.

You may use a few lbs of that for killing mice but within a few days all that extra will be vapor.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google