• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I've got ASFR babies, progression pics!

Is the tuna, kitten food etc ok for mice as well then, I have about 7 new mums at the moment and they have a mixture of food with dry dog biscuits can I also mix in dry kitten biscuits as well for All the mice then.

Kitten food tends to be higher in protein and fat, which is needed by pregnant and nursing females. Dog biscuits should be fine as well, though they'll be lower in protein.

Their staple diet, preferably lab block, should be 16-20% protein. Dry kitten food will be like 25-30% protein. I don't give them a lot of it, just sort of a "treat" once a day, though definitely sufficient quantity to make sure every female gets a good share.

Same with the tuna and cooked egg, those will work for any rodents. Other obvious sources of protein as well, like lunch meat or cooked meat.

Another thing to check for, is to make sure all of their water bottles are functioning properly. Nursing females need a lot of water. Vacuum type bottles can get locked up and not work, or release water too slowly.

Thank you Flagg, I did send you a PM before I posted on here about the unexplained deaths, but you seem to have answered all I asked anyway :)

My ASFR's have a variety of food, the main staple being about 18% protein, with a mixture of seeds, millet etc as well. I have also been giving them kitten biscuits, scrambled egg, cooked chicken, meal worms and the odd wax worm too and they seem to relish all of these. (not all at the same time, obviously).

The water bottle is working perfectly and I check it physically twice a day, I also watch that the bubbles are rising when I see them drinking. They are in our main living area, so I can watch them quite a bit.

All three mothers seem to be doing their fair share of baby rearing, although the first female did slack off a bit about a week ago, for a few days and she is due to deliver her 2nd litter any day now, but she has been doing more this week.

The remaining 4 babies from the first litter, who will be 4 weeks old this Wednesday, are out and about in the evening/overnight and eating and drinking well, so I will be moving them out to a seperate tank tomorrow.

Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it :)

The little ones from the 3rd litter are 16 days old and are starting to open their eyes and it looks like the 3 pale ones are "Pied, pink eyed, dilute agouti".

Here's a couple of quick pics of one of the pink eyed, that Ron helped me snap this evening, he wants to keep these 3 as pets, we'll have to see what sex they are and how good they are ;) :D

I love the second pic, it seems to be thinking "I wish she'd turn off the light, it's too bright!"

Attachments

• Forum ASF 086.jpg
    Forum ASF 086.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Forum ASF 090.jpg
    Forum ASF 090.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 80
Oh they're sooo adorably cute, Sue! Hard to believe these little precious things were recently such naked, oddball-looking little things! And you're right, that second pic is priceless!

p.s. Hope you're feeling a bit better. *hugs*

After I took that pic, the little one decided it was darker inside Ron's cupped hands, so it ducked down and curled up in there. Ron sat with it for almost an hour and I'm sure it was asleep in there *too cute* :D

Thanks J9, the remaining 4 from the first litter and the 3 from the second have all been moved to a growing on tank and seem to be doing really well :)

I have read that they require at least a 24" long cage or tank. I started with a 15 gal for my first trio with a wheel. They did quite well. I've also had a trio in a10 gal and they seemed to breed fine, though I wouldn't go any smaller than that.

I think the tank I have the adults in, is what you guys in the US call a 20L, it's 30" x 12" floor space, but I just got a 36 x 15 and was considering moving them up?

From what Flagg said, I think that's a good size and I haven't lost any more :)

Thanks for the links akewa, I have already got them in my favourites ;)

Back