CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

I've got ASFR babies, progression pics!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #41
wade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenstar View Post
I've been trying to find them over here but most people are only willing to ship them frozen... I would want to keep it as a pet, they are so cute......
The frozen ones don't make very good pets. They tend to melt.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #42
Jenstar
I wouldn't have to clean its cage or feed it though... I guess thats a plus...

Old 08-19-2008, 10:23 AM   #43
Velvet
My adults are more prone to cowering rather than biting and don't bite often but when they do OH BOY! They do it properly!!!!

Be careful of those babies though, they become jumping beans MUCH earlier than mice do! lol

I LOVE my African Softfurred rats! Even my non-snakie, rodent hating BF loves them! lol The other day he went into my rodent room (I ONLY have ASFs now) and said "wow, these guys smell great! The room doesn't stink anymore!" hehehe

I'll never go back to mice! lol

Old 08-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #44
Susielea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
My adults are more prone to cowering rather than biting and don't bite often but when they do OH BOY! They do it properly!!!!

Be careful of those babies though, they become jumping beans MUCH earlier than mice do! lol

I LOVE my African Softfurred rats! Even my non-snakie, rodent hating BF loves them! lol The other day he went into my rodent room (I ONLY have ASFs now) and said "wow, these guys smell great! The room doesn't stink anymore!" hehehe

I'll never go back to mice! lol
I know what you mean about them cowering, they definitely seem more afraid of me, than I am of them

The fact that they don't smell bad is a very big plus point!

I've never kept mice, but these ASFR's do smell much less than the rats, hamsters and gerbils we've had before. I also like the fact that they pick a corner to urinate in and a corner to poop in, well mine do anyway, so it makes it much easier to clean too!

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:42 AM   #45
Susielea
Can you see what I see?

Here's some more pics of the babies, at 6, 7, and 8 days old

So, can you see what I see?

Old 08-22-2008, 05:30 AM   #46
claireree
they look so spikey and cute.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #47
Jenstar
Those babies are so freaking cute, how will you ever feed those to a snake??? They would all be my pets just like the time I accidently had 12 baby dwarf hamsters... Thats another cohabing is a bad idea story for another day...

Old 08-22-2008, 06:47 AM   #48
Nanci
So cute! I wonder if you let the mom make nests out of your old clothes, if the babies would be more tame for you.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #49
Susielea
So, did no one notice the new babies in the last photo?

The second female had a small litter of 3 babies yesterday and I didn't realise until after I'd cleaned the tank out. I opened the nest box to check on last weeks babies and there were the three new ones, with the second Momma suckling all 11, ahhhh!

I know Waldo said that they become jumping beans at about a week and a half old, but she didn't say how high they jump! It's about 3 inches off the ground when they get going, so I think I've got my work cut out

Nanci, these guys don't seem to make nests at all, at the moment they are using paper towel sheets to form a barricade at the door to the nest box, to stop the babies getting out, because they are so mobile now, but have not used the bedding I put in the box, they even kick it out if I put more in

Thanks for the nice comments everyone

Old 08-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #50
akewa
not pets

These rodents will never make good pets. There are a few reasons for this some well known. One they are very prolific having upto 20 at a time and 16 being the norm every 3 weeks. Many more males than females born and males fight with themselves when they come of age if there is a female around. They are much more hyper than normal rodents needing alot more room and exercise. Tubs are really not big enough even though people keep them in them. Yes, they bite and often when they start which can happen anytime.

I have been breeding them a year and feed them to my corns. My male does not bite for he is timid but he has bitten me when scared once. My oldest female has nailed me 3 times so far. They have gotten out of their cage once. Oh, and they chew if board, alot and anything. I give alot of wood to mine for they need it to keep off plastic.

No, these will never become pets because they are so hyper. Handling them is not a option when they launch away from you. I could never think of giving these to a child for they would be running arouind the house in no time. Sure they smell next to nothing and look cute but just wait you will see why those of us that have had them for a bit say what we say. Be carefull feeding them to your corns also they will make them FAT fast. I have only been feeding weanlings and fuzzies to mine and I have to put them on a diet now. LOL They are candy to corns they can't get enough of them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google