CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Humane Euthanization?

Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #31
Rotach
Yeah, my girl will take a f/t right from my hand, then I just put her on the floor and she has no prob eating right there in front of me as I walk around the room. I know the constricting is good for her muscles but I handle her rather often so she does get in a good amount of excersize.

Em, why would anyone euthanize a hatchling in the freezer?

Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #32
HoosierHerper
Maybe I am just heartless...but if the most inhumane thing I ever do is cause a pinkie "pain" by freezing it...then I can still rest easy at night...can't be any more painful than being eaten alive.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #33
Rotach
Hoosierherper has a strong point.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #34
Em Wright
Due to sickness, defect, refusing to eat.... Using CO2 for reptiles is not an option, whereas placing them in the fridge (to induce coma) and then the freezer is the more prefered method if you're doing it at your home.

I'll have to dig up some threads.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #35
Rotach
I absolutely loathe the idea of euthanizing a baby snake due to a kink it's tail, or it refusung to eat. I think it's appauling. I'd rather see the little guy set free in your backyard.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #36
Em Wright
Set free in your backyard?

You do realize that if this were to be done cornsnakes would start to become a problem and it could very well cause problems for snake keepers. We're already under scrutiny, people just releasing their snakes to the wild and creating an over population or something is NOT the way to go.

I don't really think a small kink should matter much (this is not the thread to debate that in), however what about a severe kink? What if the snake is obviously refusing to feed and is close to death? Is starving or dying of a severe kink better than putting it down? I think not.

If an animal is suffering "setting them free in your backyard" is not going to ease that. Euthanization isn't something we enjoy, but it IS a necessity. An old dog or cat that no longer has control of their bowels, doesn't have any teeth, and is suffering from joint pain, diabeties, etc would be better off being euthanized. Don't you think?

Old 02-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #37
danielle
Also if the animal is that sick it would be prey in the wild and not survive anyway. Letting any animal suffer is mean freezing it to put it out of its misery is much better.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #38
Rotach
If I had a snake that was refusing to eat to the point where it was on the edge of death. I would leave it up to the the snake, as silly as that may sound. I'd leave a mouse in there with him. That way, the balls in his court.

I see humans deciding upon euthanization as an unnatural approach. It's interfering with nature's most basic response to the end of life. BUT, I do believe that, where there's life, there's hope. And I just don't believe that's up tp you or me to decide.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #39
danielle
You may want to rethink that statement. If a snake is refusing to feed and close to death leaving it with food would add more stress to the end of its life. I know euthenization is a personal thing and i will leave it at that, but its not for you to decide that for someone else either.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #40
Rotach
Also if the animal is that sick it would be prey in the wild and not survive anyway. Letting any animal suffer is mean freezing it to put it out of its misery is much better.

Yes, Danielle, putting it in the wild it may very well become pray to another animal, but itmay NOT. It may eat, become strong and survive. Either way, humans wouldn't be the one's deciding it's fate. What ever happens to the animal would be more natural then putting it next to your frozen peas.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google