CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Humane Euthanization?

Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #61
TandJ
Quote:
I'm so proud of myself. I haven't said one word on this thread.

Oops, there I go again. Opening my mouth.
Oh way to be Wade.. You just blew it all to hell with comment.. *LOL*

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Old 03-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #62
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatLaz View Post
...I know it's probably not the most humane thing, but they die rather quickly ....
I bet they'd prefer you just break their necks! I kid, but even though you don't have to see them, they are going out of this world in a lot worse way bagged and tossed in the freezer, I think most would agree. A CO2 tank and regulator is pretty cheap, if you put many down. Anyway, back to Wade.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #63
Em Wright
Yeah I would agree... that seems like a pretty awful way to go out of the world. Though when you get right down to it anyway to die probably isn't much fun.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #64
danny819
I use FT most of the time but for some of the fussy ones who want live I find fresh killed works almost every time if you dance it around on tongs so I went to a paintball store and got a small co2 tank, with a regulator and hose for $28. If I am out of co2 I would hold them by the base of the tail and throw them to the floor as hard as possible. I know it sounds cruel but they are dead in seconds and if it was me that had to go I would preffer to have it last only seconds.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #65
wade
OK, I’ll jump into this foolishness. I have that kind of time.

The fundamental basic premise here is to take a live animal and make it be dead. The word humane is hard to work into that sentence smoothly. So let’s be real. We’re going to kill animals. We hope it won’t hurt. But maybe we should be like a doctor and say, “This might hurt a little,” before we slam it’s little body on the cement floor.

What I’m trying to say is that killing any animal is not going to be fun for that animal no matter what method you choose. The Humane Society has come up with some guidelines but again, keeping reality in sight, they are not always practical for everyone. I think we need to do our best to minimize suffering, give it some thought and use the quickest method available to you.

My suggestions:

#1 best way is CO2 gas. If you can afford to get a set up with a CO2 paint ball tank I think that is the easiest way and would probably even get a pat on the back from the bleeding hearts. If you can’t afford that then next best would be dry ice. For less than a dollar you can get enough dry ice to kill a couple hundred mice.

#2 would be cervical dislocation. This takes a little practice and to be honest there is a learning curve. You may not do a great job on the first few. Prepare yourself for that and remind yourself that you will do a better job on the next one. Once you get the technique figured out it is quick and pretty painless for both of you.

#3 is the whack. This is the way I started years ago and it served me for years. Hold the mouse by the tail and whack its head against something hard. The edge of a table or the like works well. I used to lay a hammerhead on the table and would try to hit the mouse’s head on the hammerhead. The down side to this is sometimes you don’t hit it well or hard enough. Sometimes it requires a second whack. Do your best and God will understand.

There I’ve thrown my hat in the ring. Bash away.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #66
jpccusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
OK, I’ll jump into this foolishness. I have that kind of time.

The fundamental basic premise here is to take a live animal and make it be dead. The word humane is hard to work into that sentence smoothly. So let’s be real. We’re going to kill animals. We hope it won’t hurt. But maybe we should be like a doctor and say, “This might hurt a little,” before we slam it’s little body on the cement floor.

What I’m trying to say is that killing any animal is not going to be fun for that animal no matter what method you choose. The Humane Society has come up with some guidelines but again, keeping reality in sight, they are not always practical for everyone. I think we need to do our best to minimize suffering, give it some thought and use the quickest method available to you.

My suggestions:

#1 best way is CO2 gas. If you can afford to get a set up with a CO2 paint ball tank I think that is the easiest way and would probably even get a pat on the back from the bleeding hearts. If you can’t afford that then next best would be dry ice. For less than a dollar you can get enough dry ice to kill a couple hundred mice.

#2 would be cervical dislocation. This takes a little practice and to be honest there is a learning curve. You may not do a great job on the first few. Prepare yourself for that and remind yourself that you will do a better job on the next one. Once you get the technique figured out it is quick and pretty painless for both of you.

#3 is the whack. This is the way I started years ago and it served me for years. Hold the mouse by the tail and whack its head against something hard. The edge of a table or the like works well. I used to lay a hammerhead on the table and would try to hit the mouse’s head on the hammerhead. The down side to this is sometimes you don’t hit it well or hard enough. Sometimes it requires a second whack. Do your best and God will understand.

There I’ve thrown my hat in the ring. Bash away.
Great post Wade! I just wanted you to elaborate a little more on the alternative method mentioned in number 1 - the dry ice!

I can see people interpreting that as "freeze your mice" and I know that is not what you mean.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #67
wade
Thank you JP. No don't use the dry ice for freezing. It will sublime and give off CO2 gas.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #68
MinLynn
Thank you, Wade! I was thinking to myself that there can't be a 100% humane way to die, can there? I mean dieing is dieing right? I'm thinking the Co2 is the closest your going to get to humane but either way your killing it. Plain and simple. Maybe I just look at it different because down yonder on the farm here, mice are pests so we keep traps and no they aren't live traps. I'm sure that's not very humane but hey they're out of my house.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #69
Buzzard
Love the post Wade, well spoken, well said.

My 2 cents, if you can not stand to put a mouse down in any of those manners then buy them already frozen.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #70
danielle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Love the post Wade, well spoken, well said.

My 2 cents, if you can not stand to put a mouse down in any of those manners then buy them already frozen.
I second that, but wades whacking method is gross- do they explode, lol? I just get them frozen thawed and never plan on breeding my own so investing in co2 would be pointless. Death is death and really you can't call killing humane exactly so do it the best way you know how!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google