CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

My corn snake Ruby kills Adult male mouse.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:26 AM   #11
snakewispera snr
Whether or not it's the right thing to feed live is one debate......
To film it for other snake keepers to see, apart from being pointless (We all got snakes, if you didn't guess) is a cruel, stupid and dangerous form of entertainment....
And LOL made it even stupider than it already was.......

Old 09-01-2009, 04:00 AM   #12
rolandslf
I feed live, however, I pre-kill before giving to my snakes.
I have no wish or desire to advertise this fact to all and sundry, I merely mention it because I find this thread to be sad, revolting and the clip upsetting.
Never mind the danger to the snake or the stress and pain caused to the mouse.
There are ways of doing things, and unnecessary pain etc. should at all times be avoided.

To the originator of the thread, no points gained here.

Ciao

Old 09-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
Buzzard
The feeding of the mouse to the snake is not offensive to me. However the laughing, the filming and the way you did it(not knocking the mouse out first or euthanizing) just flat up p(&^&%& me off. Thanks buddy for putting something out there that you think we need to watch....NOT.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
CaptBogart
Hmmmmm, I believe this hasn't exactly turned into the bonding experience you were hoping for. At least you learned a few things I hope,
1) That feeding live prey to your snake can actually become harmful to your snake, maybe even cause it's death.
2) The snake community takes feeding seriously, not as a laughing matter to be shown to the world for entertainment, but to set an example of responsible snake owners to the general public. We have enough bad publicity as it is.
3) That this site can help you mature not only as a herper, but as an individual.
4) Good, bad, or ugly, there is always someone here to give encouragement, criticism, education, and sometimes even friendship, and it's up to you to take from it what you want.

I believe if you truly want to learn, this site offers that chance of education you would be hard pressed to find elsewhere. I would suggest starting with the search function as well as checking out some of the threads for awhile to get the feel of the community as a whole. There are also some great FAQ's on husbandry as well....

Old 09-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
medusacoils
What can I add, that hasn't already been said!

Wayne

Old 09-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #16
wildlifephotographer
I for one don't have a problem with feeding live mice to my snake Diamond. I don't stun them or knock them out first either. I let the natural process of her killing it on her own take place. I personally had no idea so many people on a snake forum...that has snakes was sooo...against feeding snakes live mice. I understand however, that it could become a problem if you show it off to the world on a video thinking it's a funny ha ha...kinda of deal. I wouldn't do that , and I don't do that but I do however feed only one of my snakes-my oldest one Diamond live adult mice for the fact that she will not take f/t mice anymore. I had her on f/t but now she refuses to eat them. I don't think it's a laughing matter when I feed Diamond live mice because I know it can be dangerous for her to do so, but since I haven't been able to get her to take f/t for awhile I had to switch to live again. And I am always watching her and keeping my eye on her the whole time, and every time that I feed her one. To watch her eat makes me feel safer about giving her the live mice. I haven't ever left her un-attended while feeding her live. And I never will. That is how I feel about this subject. I also don't think it was a great- or even a good idea for the orginal poster to have posted something like this just for the fact that it's not something anyone should want to see on the internet and for the fact that as snake owners we already know what it's like to feed mice to our snakes wheather f/t or live. So it's very unnecessary.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #17
DarkSmoke
oh come one guys , its alright and true that live feeding is dangarous to the snake but dont say that its a not a nice thing. how can you like snakes and dont like the way they attack and constrict a live prey ? O_o i mean its one of the most things i love about snakes the way they kill and eat. its dangarous ok you're 100% right but complaining thats its something not entartaining and intresting to watch i think your all exegarating.

i mean man you jumped on the guy and even ended up complining about his street racing lol. chill dudes. peace

Old 09-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #18
medusacoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post
oh come one guys , its alright and true that live feeding is dangarous to the snake but dont say that its a not a nice thing. how can you like snakes and dont like the way they attack and constrict a live prey ? O_o i mean its one of the most things i love about snakes the way they kill and eat. its dangarous ok you're 100% right but complaining thats its something not entartaining and intresting to watch i think your all exegarating.

i mean man you jumped on the guy and even ended up complining about his street racing lol. chill dudes. peace
With all that we know today and a readily available safer method of feeding, why not do it? Oh I know, it's not done for the snake, but some sick twisted enjoyment in watching a mouse be slowly constricted, suffer and then finally expire. My snakes all eat F/T and or Fresh Killed. They all grab, constrict and eat it and without the needless suffering of the mouse.

Now that I have said that, I realize that there is a difference in feeding a snake that will not eat F/T or F/K and one that hasn't been offered the opportunity.

OH, and I don't want to hear the whole, "It's Natural" argument. Is living in a tub or tank natural? Is drinking from a bowl of fresh clean water natural? Is sleeping on shredded paper or wood chips natural? Is being handled by human beings on a regular basis, natural?

If you want your snake to be natural, then let it go back to nature, because it doesn't deserve you!

Wayne

Old 09-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #19
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post

1) if you love your snake, and something is dangerous to the snake.....DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

2) It is UNECCESSARY cruelty to the mouse, unless you have a snake that flat-out refuses thawed food.

3) Live feeding can infest a snake with parasites.

4) If you think that watching one animal kill another is "entertaining", you should not be allowed near ANY living thing.

I love the way my snakes constrict and kill THAWED prey!

Old 09-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #20
CaptBogart
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifephotographer View Post
I wouldn't do that , and I don't do that but I do however feed only one of my snakes-my oldest one Diamond live adult mice for the fact that she will not take f/t mice anymore. I had her on f/t but now she refuses to eat them. I don't think it's a laughing matter when I feed Diamond live mice because I know it can be dangerous for her to do so, but since I haven't been able to get her to take f/t for awhile I had to switch to live again.
I had one like that too, and I tried for four years to switch her and she wouldn't have it. I did find that feeding multiple live rat pups was much safer as they still either had their eyes closed still, or had just opened them and still not aware of their surroundings or the danger of being eaten by the snake. Adult mice on the other hand tend to be fighters, so I just avoided them all together, giving my snake the edge over it's prey...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
corn snake, mouse