• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My corn snake Ruby kills Adult male mouse.

I'm not sure what to say that other people haven't said already. I am new here, and to owning snakes but I am a strong believer in feeding F/T not only because of the harm it could cause my snake in the future but also the unneeded suffering it causes what ever animal you feed it.((I own pets rats and a pet mouse btw and can assure you Jasper the mouse is never on the menu)) In my opinion as in many others, you are sick to enjoy hearing/seeing something scream as it slowly dies in total and absolute pain. I am switching my previously fed live Benji to F/T even when the people I got him from told me I would have to force feed him to do so ((I have fed F/T and DON'T have to force feed him, they where idiots -_-)) anyway I just wanted to tell everyone else that I'm glad this isn't a site of depraved lunatics. I was really worried that all/a lot of you would be into feeding live because it's "cool". Thank the stars for small miracles.

Okay, so I just stumbled across this thread...and have a few things to say :)

1. Feeding live is not "sick." I think its amazing to watch a snake attack and kill an anole the way it would in the wild. Its enjoyable.

2. I love to hunt. I enjoy killing deer, it makes me happy. It also makes MANY other people happy. This is no different from feeding your snakes live food (besides it being dangerous)

3. I couldn't watch the video, but from what everyone is saying...he just fed his snake live and liked it. So...? Whats the big deal? Its just a mouse. They are just...mice. Not seeing what the big deal is between you killing them and the snake killing them (besides danger to your snake.)

4. I feed live anoles for a few reasons. One is because I enjoy giving my snakes something "different" now and then. Two is because I breed anoles. I freeze some, I feed fresh ones live. It gives my snake exersize, something to hunt, and a challenge. Its just a lizzard.

Anyway, not looking to get flamed...just pointing these things out and putting in my two cents.

Well to me, your just a person. My love for animals is endless, though I hunt too and understand the pet vs feed quote. I raise and show mice only to turn around, smack some and hand them to my other babies :eatsmiley

People on the other hand.... "people" ~~~ drop me off in some remote forest be rid of them forever.. Man I was born in the wrong era.. As a Queen I would enjoy to see some dangle while I sip my tea.. Maybe put on the rack and slowly torn apart.. Yet even when I think of the guillotine that is just to much of a fast death for me.. I mean, they are just people.... The world is over run with them.. Just like mice all they do is eat, sh** and sleep.

541792wa215ulmip.gif

The one delight to be a "people" :poke: is that we can determine right from wrong, what we can do in our lives to make it better as well as the things we own "snakes" Our pets no longer live in the wild and it can be dangerous for a mouse to give a serious bite to our beloved pet. Infections can occur, or some sort of skin disease might happen. What if it just happens to be the snakes eye? Things like that happen. Why "if they are pets" should the snake have scares? I'd rather see a nice clean smooth set of scales. It's fine in the wild and where it should be observed. I don't like my snakes flinging their head around because they are use to live when I go to reach for them. "My adult amel was like that for the longest time till he realized it doesn't move anymore why get so uppity"

Yes, it's fun to see them do what they where made to do just as it's great to see the sporting dogs work the field. Yet I don't have to worry about the birds clamping on the dogs or defending themselves while the dog is on point. A turkey is another story and I won't go there on this tread :p

If your so new here then you "I think" would have already read most of the posts and know most how the breeders feel. Why make yourself known with something you know would get the tread heated????? If you want to be sadistic, don't get a hard on by watching your snake. Go poke some ants or HEY get a magnifying glass and watch em run.. Slugs twitch too but they twitch more with salt
1102514nugaxacg8m.gif

Some people worry me when they look for attention..

You have issues!!

Okay, so I just stumbled across this thread...and have a few things to say :)

1. Feeding live is not "sick." I think its amazing to watch a snake attack and kill an anole the way it would in the wild. Its enjoyable.

You think it amazing to watch a snake kill a mouse or an anole. That is sick and sadistic! I don't know how any sane person, could take pleasure in watching the slow death of an animal? That just befuddles me!

2. I love to hunt. I enjoy killing deer, it makes me happy. It also makes MANY other people happy. This is no different from feeding your snakes live food (besides it being dangerous)

I'm an avid hunter as well and I can honestly say that the one part of hunting, I don't enjoy, is the killing. I enjoy the nature, that I am in. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. I enjoy seeing the animals, I do not take. I enjoy the company of my friends and family.

Killing a dear, a bird or whatever it is, is the one thing I do not enjoy. That is a life. I take a life to provide my family and myself with food. To do my part in controlling the population of a species.

Every person I hunt with and have hunted with, have felt the same way. I don't think I would want to experience a person, that takes thrill in the "killing" aspect of the sport.

3. I couldn't watch the video, but from what everyone is saying...he just fed his snake live and liked it. So...? Whats the big deal? Its just a mouse. They are just...mice. Not seeing what the big deal is between you killing them and the snake killing them (besides danger to your snake.)

Yes, it's just a mouse. Did you forget, that it's also a life? When you go hunting, do you shoot a deer in the legs, so it dies slowly? OR, do you try to make the most ethical shot you can, to diminish the suffering of the animal, and cause it to expire quickly.

When I kill the feeders I have. I use the most ethical method available to me, to diminish the suffering of the feeder. When a snake kills an animal. In some cases, it can take up to fifteen minutes for the animal to expire. That's fifteen minutes of unnecessary suffering, forced upon an animal that could have been euthanized, humanly and still eaten by the snake.

4. I feed live anoles for a few reasons. One is because I enjoy giving my snakes something "different" now and then. Two is because I breed anoles. I freeze some, I feed fresh ones live. It gives my snake exersize, something to hunt, and a challenge. Its just a lizzard.

My wife and I breed rodents. Lots of rodents! A lot of different types of rodents, as well. We sell some as pets. We show some. We sell some as food. We feed them to the members of our snake collection. We freeze them.

The difference between what you do and what we do is, I take the time to minimize the unnecessary suffering of the animals, that I use as feeders. I believe I owe that to them.

And if your worried about your snake, getting exercise. Then take it out of it's enclosure once in a while and handle it. I guarantee, that that's more exercise then chasing a mouse around a little enclosure!

Anyway, not looking to get flamed...just pointing these things out and putting in my two cents.

You have issues!! You are obviously aware that what you are doing is wrong. People like you, with your sadistic, smug attitudes are what give the credible members of this industry, a bad name. You knowingly force unnecessary suffering, on the animals that you feed. You endanger the lives of your snakes. And, the part that really bothers me, is that you take pleasure in it. I'm sickened by this!

There is a big difference in feeding a snake live, because it won't take anything else and feeding a humanly euthanised rodent or lizard.

I also, don't want to hear the "in the wild" argument. That doesn't make sense in this situation! Your snakes are not in the wild. They are captive specimens. They are kept in tubs or tanks, live in plastic or paper houses and crap on newspaper or some other prepared substrate. Does that sound natural to you? As captive specimens, they have the opportunity to eat a meal, prepared for them, be kept in a safe and secure manner and treated with respect. If you can't do that, then you are in the wrong business!

JMO!

Wayne

You have issues!!

You think it amazing to watch a snake kill a mouse or an anole. That is sick and sadistic! I don't know how any sane person, could take pleasure in watching the slow death of an animal? That just befuddles me!

I'm an avid hunter as well and I can honestly say that the one part of hunting, I don't enjoy, is the killing. I enjoy the nature, that I am in. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. I enjoy seeing the animals, I do not take. I enjoy the company of my friends and family.

Killing a dear, a bird or whatever it is, is the one thing I do not enjoy. That is a life. I take a life to provide my family and myself with food. To do my part in controlling the population of a species.

Every person I hunt with and have hunted with, have felt the same way. I don't think I would want to experience a person, that takes thrill in the "killing" aspect of the sport.

Yes, it's just a mouse. Did you forget, that it's also a life? When you go hunting, do you shoot a deer in the legs, so it dies slowly? OR, do you try to make the most ethical shot you can, to diminish the suffering of the animal, and cause it to expire quickly.

When I kill the feeders I have. I use the most ethical method available to me, to diminish the suffering of the feeder. When a snake kills an animal. In some cases, it can take up to fifteen minutes for the animal to expire. That's fifteen minutes of unnecessary suffering, forced upon an animal that could have been euthanized, humanly and still eaten by the snake.

My wife and I breed rodents. Lots of rodents! A lot of different types of rodents, as well. We sell some as pets. We show some. We sell some as food. We feed them to the members of our snake collection. We freeze them.

The difference between what you do and what we do is, I take the time to minimize the unnecessary suffering of the animals, that I use as feeders. I believe I owe that to them.

And if your worried about your snake, getting exercise. Then take it out of it's enclosure once in a while and handle it. I guarantee, that that's more exercise then chasing a mouse around a little enclosure!

You have issues!! You are obviously aware that what you are doing is wrong. People like you, with your sadistic, smug attitudes are what give the credible members of this industry, a bad name. You knowingly force unnecessary suffering, on the animals that you feed. You endanger the lives of your snakes. And, the part that really bothers me, is that you take pleasure in it. I'm sickened by this!

There is a big difference in feeding a snake live, because it won't take anything else and feeding a humanly euthanised rodent or lizard.

I also, don't want to hear the "in the wild" argument. That doesn't make sense in this situation! Your snakes are not in the wild. They are captive specimens. They are kept in tubs or tanks, live in plastic or paper houses and crap on newspaper or some other prepared substrate. Does that sound natural to you? As captive specimens, they have the opportunity to eat a meal, prepared for them, be kept in a safe and secure manner and treated with respect. If you can't do that, then you are in the wrong business!

JMO!

Wayne

Couldn't have said it better myself. Love you, Wayne!

Oh, no please! I don't have issues or anything like that! I do not "enjoy" seeing the mouse die, I do enjoy watching my snake eat though!! Its cool to me, IDK. It doesn't really "bother" me to feed live, but I guess thats just the pure country girl in me. I do not ENJOY inflicting pain on animals! Ever! But, feeding live does not "bother". Which is not bad or terrible!

Just opinion...

I'm really sorry about saying all that, but it sounded worse than what it meant! I would never put a mouse into a cage and laugh at it being eaten, ever. Really.

Plus, I didn't actually WATCH the video, and what the guy did was really messed up...I wouldn't do that or agree with that.

But I am NOT an animal rights activist/humanitarian. At all. I am a country girl. We have killed cows we had named so we could eat them. We have raised a pig from a baby, let it run around in the yard, and ended up making bacon from her.

Stuff like that doesn't, and never will, bother me.

That video was a little...weird though. It did bother me a bit. I WOULD NEVER DO THAT! I don't wanna give the wrong impression or have people start to not like me!

OKAY, listen I am NOT SADISTIC. Please don't say that!!! I am not focing suffering on an animal! Feeding live lizards is OKAY. Its just a lizard, I do not ENJOY it, most of the time I don't really even watch...Its just I raise them, and want to feed them to my snaks when I have a few newly hatched ones. I have since stopped doing this because I have LISTENED to YALL GUYS! Please, listen to me and know I am not Sadistic!

You know, the more you say, "I'm just a country girl!" as your reasoning for how you treat animals is pretty sad, and gives "country girls" all over a bad name.

Most people who live on farms, who hunt, and live in the country have a respect for animals of all sizes, which you completely seem to lack.

It's "just" a mouse, it's "just" a lizard. It is a life. You're a pretty messed up person if you deliberately drag their deaths out for your enjoyment, because you think it's "cool".

It's "just" a mouse, it's "just" a lizard. It is a life. You're a pretty messed up person if you deliberately drag their deaths out for your enjoyment, because you think it's "cool".

I never said that, and if I did, I did not mean it that way.

And I am not giving them a bad name at all! It is not my reason for treating animals badly at all! I do not treat animals badly! First...a few questions for yall.

1. Is killing a cow that was raised by us being cruel?
2. Is killing a "pet" pig we raised, cruel?
3. Is feeding a snake live anoles, just because I have them, cruel? Which I mentioned before, I have STOPPED because I listen to everyone on this board! Will yall please just listen to me! I am not trying to cause I stink, just a discussion. So please hear me out. Just trying to defend myself. I am really gettting flamed and have had some bad things said about me!
4. Is shooting a mean, stray, dog, because it has some disease, cruel?

Just a few questions for you guys to answer, I am curious of the opinions!
Note: I have done the first three, MANY people do the fourth but I never have personally bcause I have never been in that situation.

Most people who live on farms, who hunt, and live in the country have a respect for animals of all sizes, which you completely seem to lack.

I have three dogs, three snakes, sixteen cows, numerous chickens, hogs, goats, horses and I respect them all. So no, I do not lack that. Thank you.

Everyone, please read what I wrote earlier again...It is re-posted below

(
That video was a little...weird though. It did bother me a bit. I WOULD NEVER DO THAT! I don't wanna give the wrong impression or have people start to not like me!
I'm really sorry about saying all that, but it sounded worse than what it meant! I would never put a mouse into a cage and laugh at it being eaten, ever. Really.
)

Kandie Kitten, before getting angry at me, please read my post thourougly, just as I read yours :) Thanks so much

The LAST thing this hobby needs is yet ANOTHER teenage asshat getting his rocks off by feeding live on film.
Not neccessary and not cool.

Actually, what YOU said was not neccessary and not cool. Really. Everyone needs to post respectful replies, instead of rude ones calling me sick and sadistic.

Sorry for so many post, but I can't help it.

If your so new here then you "I think" would have already read most of the posts and know most how the breeders feel. Why make yourself known with something you know would get the tread heated????? If you want to be sadistic, don't get a hard on by watching your snake. Go poke some ants or HEY get a magnifying glass and watch em run.. Slugs twitch too but they twitch more with salt

Some people worry me when they look for attention..

First, I am a girl. Not gonna get a hard on feeding my snake :D Do some background resarch.

Second, I am not "new" really, I have been here a while and have never read a discussion about feeding live like this. This is a place to share opinions. Everyone will have different opinions. Lets just agree to disagree.

Also, no one, please refrain from using "sick" "sadistic" "pathetic" as words to describe me. These are very hurtful, and VERY far from the truth. If I was a mod, I would have someone put on "probation" or something for saying that to someone else. But thats just me.

Also, as kids we put salt on slugs. It was kinda neat. We did it as a science expeirment to. They are just slugs.
We also burned ants with magnifing glasses. It was all we had to do really, and that does not make me sadistic, sick, or pathetic. Just a country girl who found fun in her own back yard.

Actually, what YOU said was not neccessary and not cool. Really. Everyone needs to post respectful replies, instead of rude ones calling me sick and sadistic.

Sorry for so many post, but I can't help it.

Actually you were NOT the person to whom I was referring...but if the shoe fits.....

Sorry Emily, I have to disagree.
The LAST thing this hobby needs is yet ANOTHER teenage asshat getting his rocks off by feeding live on film.

Actually, yes you where! I am Emily...always re-read post before replying.

Also, as kids we put salt on slugs. It was kinda neat. We did it as a science expeirment to. They are just slugs.
We also burned ants with magnifing glasses. It was all we had to do really, and that does not make me sadistic, sick, or pathetic. Just a country girl who found fun in her own back yard.

While I do not think you are (and will not call you) sadistic or pathetic, I do not think that you can continue to repeat "country girl" as though it excuses less than humane treatment of animals. I am not unsympathetic, and I am far from an AR activist, but I find the "salting slugs in the name of 'science'" off-putting. Your setting, be it rural or urban, makes no difference to me.

I'd love to know what scientific breakthroughs you made watching slugs shrivel up? The process by which this occurs (osmosis) is well studied and there are many other ways to observe it without inflicting needless suffering.

I won't tell you that if a slug is "just a slug" then you are "just a person", because I can clearly see a difference. However, as somebody who just carefully scooped up a big old slug off the sidewalk last night so nobody would crush it, I am a little bit saddened by your general disregard for life.

But, ces la vie - I am not you and you are not me, even if we have the same name. ;)

As for the OT at hand, there is no question in my mind that f/t is both safer and more humane.

starsevol said:
Sorry Emily, I have to disagree.

Teenage asshat getting rocks = the OP, not you

Emily = you (and me, but not in this case)

She was addressing you, but referring the OP's video and to the OP as the asshat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, starsevol, but that's how I read it?

Actually, yes you where! I am Emily...always re-read post before replying.

LOL... I also wanted to say this but had to run out and wrote what I did real quick.... I also hunt but I prefer to make a clean kill rather than watching the animal kibby out, bleat and scream before it dies or I have to do something about it. It doesn't please me to take a life even though I hunt or sometimes raise my own meat but I understand the need to feed..

Hope your safe in the woods while you enjoy watching something die. Hope your a responsible hunter and not one of these mix drink/pill pooping weirdo's that ruin it for other who actually enjoy sitting in the woods only to get lucky to bring something home to the table...

As for the OT at hand, there is no question in my mind that f/t is both safer and more humane.
I agree with safety, not so much with it being humane. F/T are gassed to death. I don't care either way, its just a mouse.

As for me being country, I am saying that because I did play outside alot. With bugs and other things. IMO, I did nothing cruel ot inhumane. I killed a slug, who cares? How many ants have you stepped on? How many burgers have you ate? How many spiders ect have you smooshed?

And I made no breakthrough watching the slug, it was just cool cause I had never seen anything like that before and I never knew slugs did that. My dad showed me how to do it. It was neat-o.

And you can be saddened, but its not gonna change me or the way I am. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Back