• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can snakes be fed a vegan diet?

It's all cool as long as you have a zombie plan!! :D

As to the comment about a dog eating around the brain..... if you're picking up fresh road kill to feed to your dogs wouldn't you dispose of the "bad" parts and feed them the "good" parts? IE: discard the brain and feed the meat.

I dunno, I feed my dogs kibble.

Wow, I missed alot. As far as Starla, I'm sorry if I seemed rude or anything like that. After reading up, I agree with Danielle and I think Lori. I don't think you are a troll. You seem to know what your doing, just went about the question the wrong way.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.. And don't be hesitant to ask people for advice or answers on specific questions. If you make it in well and become kind of established its a great forum/community. :)

Wow...just Wow. This thread is just typical of the winter doldrums BS that infects this forum every year. However, there have been a few super posts by several members that I have been unable to rep because I need to spread it around a bit more!

Is this a troll thread? If so, it's not a very good one. A beginner's effort at best. However, another member has just about perfected their ability to have me wave my finger over the little red button and one of these days, "POOF!", that member will cross the line and be gone forever.

Being a vet tech, I have a pretty good knowledge about the proper diets for many of the typical household pets. I have seen fad diets come and go, and the sooner the raw diet goes, the better, IMO. People tend to forget that when a wild carnavore makes a kill, they don't eat the muscle first. They rip that intestinal wall open and go for the soft and mushy internal organs first, including the mostly digested plant material inside the prey's intestinal tract. Pet food manufacturers, including the many staff veterinarians that they employ, have spent decades researching the exact nutritional needs required by our pets, as well as our livestock and any other animal they make food for. I seriously doubt these new specialty companies have spent as much time and money on their research. They're going for the novelty their product provides and the suckers that fall for their line of baloney. Just think of all the wonderful diet plans that have come and gone for the human populace over the years.

I was once an RVT (though I only worked in the field a year) and I'm a big fan of a well thought out raw diet. My pooch was eating primarily whole prey anyways, and he did exceptionally well. Unfortunately, I now share freezer space with my mother in law, and keeping more than a few frozen mice in there would be pushing my luck with how well we get along, I think. :)

Edited to add: Though I must agree that it's a really easy diet to screw up and I've seen some really sick animals whose owners thought they could toss them a raw chicken breast each day and call it a complete diet. Ugh!

I was once an RVT (though I only worked in the field a year) and I'm a big fan of a well thought out raw diet. My pooch was eating primarily whole prey anyways, and he did exceptionally well. Unfortunately, I now share freezer space with my mother in law, and keeping more than a few frozen mice in there would be pushing my luck with how well we get along, I think. :)

Edited to add: Though I must agree that it's a really easy diet to screw up and I've seen some really sick animals whose owners thought they could toss them a raw chicken breast each day and call it a complete diet. Ugh!
I'm a big fan of the raw diet. I'm lucky that I have a spare freezer and a couple of sympathetic butchers to get supplies of bones and offal from.

a lot of good posts here....
this add came up at the top and i thought i would post it. its supposed to be organic meat? i don't know just thought i'd post it...
http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/

I won't post about the discussion, (though i am very tempted to) but i will be watching closely!

I don't agree with killing the snake to save the mice, but that is because I enjoy having a snake as a pet. Someone who loves and gets attached to mice would see it the other way. We all have biased opinions and it's not okay to say someone else's bias is wrong just because it's different than yours.

Actually, I've kept both snakes and mice (separately- the mice before the snake rather than as feeders) and have loved them all as they were pets. I still wouldn't see it the other way though, I definitely wouldn't kill a snake because I didn't want the mice to die. Whether I have a snake and feed it mice or not, there will still be mice killed to feed to other people's snakes. The issue is clearly that people are worried about the life that the mice had before being food, and I think that actually it's a damn sight better than the life they'd have in the wild, where they'd also get eaten alive by the snake.

I don't mean to rant, but I recently had an argument with a vegan over this kind of thing because she was saying it's not natural to eat meat etc and she can't believe I have a carniverous pet- and when I asked her how she explains the food chain she just didn't really have an answer. I've yet to meat a vegan who isn't deluded and quite frankly ridiculous.

I've yet to meat a vegan who isn't deluded and quite frankly ridiculous.

Sorry, but this typo made me laugh! ;)

I don't want to get into the whole vegan thing again because I don't understand it, and it does seem to bring out extremes. I don't like being told that I'm going to die or that I'm wrong to eat meat, and I'm sure they feel the same way about their choices.

I WOULD like to hear more about what Susan mentioned about pet foods. I'm having a lot of trouble with my cat and food allergies. The vet has suggested that she not have any type of beef, chicken or milk in her diet. I've got her on a seafood kibble, but she's still getting hot spots on her face. If cats ARE obligate carnivores, is she getting what she needs or could it be another type of allergy? I'm at my wits end.

I've yet to meat a vegan who isn't deluded and quite frankly ridiculous.

Sorry you havent met a sane Vegan.
Just remember not all Vegans are like this. I have Budist friends that are Vegans. They are really great people. Down to earth and dont push there believes on anyone that I am aware of. Just remember sometimes us snake people get classified just like your statement above. All because 1-2 people do/say something stupid....

Snakes cannot be Vegan, they don't digest that stuff well. It's not gonna happen. it's mice or no dice!

Sure, if the snake is big enough and the vegan is small enough. Remember, 2 times the widest part of the body at max.
Oh, I get it now!!! :laugh01: That's hilarious! I wish I could rep you. Whew. Funny stuff.

I don't want to get into the whole vegan thing again because I don't understand it, and it does seem to bring out extremes. I don't like being told that I'm going to die or that I'm wrong to eat meat, and I'm sure they feel the same way about their choices.
The thing that I find interesting is that vegetarians/vegans expect a non-meat option at any event I've been to, but any vegetarian/vegan event (not many admittedly) have not given a meat option. :shrugs:

I really [sarcasm]loooooooove[/sarcasm] the personification of animals. :uhoh:

D80

Originally Posted by Drizzt80
Sure, if the snake is big enough and the vegan is small enough. Remember, 2 times the widest part of the body at max.

^ You're a goofball! :laugh:

Meh, as far as I'm concerned, I'm going to die anyway so I might as well enjoy my steak. There are far worse things I could be doing to myself than eating a bit of cow and pig.

I WOULD like to hear more about what Susan mentioned about pet foods. I'm having a lot of trouble with my cat and food allergies. The vet has suggested that she not have any type of beef, chicken or milk in her diet. I've got her on a seafood kibble, but she's still getting hot spots on her face. If cats ARE obligate carnivores, is she getting what she needs or could it be another type of allergy? I'm at my wits end.

Living in Florida, I get to see more dermatologic cases than are seen in other parts of the country. What other vets see in a year, we see in a week.

In cats, allergies to food more typically show symptoms that affect the digestive system...vomiting is most common and then soft stool to diarrhea, and then perhaps in the skin. Other types of allergens will react more in the skin, causing itching that results in hair loss, inflamed skin and secondary bacterial infections. Actual hot spots on the face are not typical.

Not knowing exactly where the hot spots are located on the face, I would first check the ears and make sure something as simple as ear mites aren't causing the cat to scratch excessively at them and causing the hot spots. Another possibility is an actual contact allergy, such as to plastic food and water dishes. Switching to stainless steel dishes is so simple and easy that it simply has to be tried.

We've done quite a few allergy tests in our hospital, although mostly dogs. The most common food allergies are corn, wheat, beef and chicken. Most cats can't digest lactose as adults, so we don't recommend dairy products to any cat having allergies or not. Switching to a limited ingredient diet (venison, duck, rabbit - not seafood in cats) may give you the desired results, if a food allergy is the cause. Prescription diets (Hill's, Purina, Royal Canin, etc) will be better than anything obtained over-the-counter. Using a hydrolysed protein diet will also work (Hill's Z/D). And to make a proper food allergy trial successful, you must completely eliminate all other foods, including treats, table scraps, etc and feed exclusively the new diet for about 2-3 months before saying a food allergy is present or not. You also can't use any other allergy treatments in conjunction with the diet change.

A problem arises as only about 30% of allergies are to something in the diet. The other 70% are to things in the environment, such as pollens (grass, tree, flower), smoke, dust mites, other animals, dyes, certain cloth, etc, etc, etc. Without testing, it can be very difficult to determine what a pet is really allergic to, and often, you find out it's something you can't keep away from your pet. And those "allergy shots" made up by the testing companies are a waste of money.

We've found that in the majority of cases, if the food trial doesn't work 100%, having to administer corticosteroids periodically to a cat is the best way to go. Cats tolerate corticosteroids much better than people or even dogs, and in many cats, they only need an injection once to three times a year.

Susan, thank you for taking the time to answer that. I do have her using stainless steel, and she is currently on a Nutro food, as the vet didn't even suggest a prescription diet. She's been on this for about two months and still has the problem. I check her ears regularly and clean them with a wipe, and there is not blood or dirt that I've typically seen with mites in my dogs. The hot spots are mainly along her cheeks as if she's rubbing on something that she's allergic to, but maybe she's rubbing to alleviate the itching. I've recently been giving her some benadryl that does seem to help, but she goes crazy when I try to give it. Is this ok for cats?

she goes crazy when I try to give it. Is this ok for cats?

Yes. Insanity in cats is quite acceptable, to be expected even when close contact with some owners is taken into consideration.

Not that I'm saying you're crazier than any other woman, er person...ummm no, what I mean is that I'm not saying you're the crazy one....shhh quiet quiet, she can't hear you anyway....sorry, the voices were getting really loud again.

So, no, er yes, crazy women, er cats, are just fine.

Yes. Insanity in cats is quite acceptable, to be expected even when close contact with some owners is taken into consideration.

Not that I'm saying you're crazier than any other woman, er person...ummm no, what I mean is that I'm not saying you're the crazy one....shhh quiet quiet, she can't hear you anyway....sorry, the voices were getting really loud again.

So, no, er yes, crazy women, er cats, are just fine.

Ha ha, jolly joker!! :nyah:

No, when I try to give her meds, she literally acts like a rabid animal...she starts frothing at the mouth and shaking her head, drools excessively, the works. It makes me wonder if it's worth it to stress her like that.

And I MEANT <ahem> if the benadryl would be worthwhile at all? Clearly, I think I need to find another vet, but I think I'll try one of the foods Susan recommended first.

Excessive drooling is commonly seen in cats when you give them oral Benadryl. Definitely try one of the diets. I would recommend the Hill's Prescription diet Z/D (if you can afford it as it is very pricey) as you won't have to worry about using a food that your cat is allergic to. All the proteins in the diet have been broken down below the molecular level to react as an allergen. Next choice would be a limited ingredient diet, of which you have a variety of brands and flavors and might even be able to get some at PetsMart or Petco and not have to go to your vet.

Excessive drooling is commonly seen in cats when you give them oral Benadryl. Definitely try one of the diets. I would recommend the Hill's Prescription diet Z/D (if you can afford it as it is very pricey) as you won't have to worry about using a food that your cat is allergic to. All the proteins in the diet have been broken down below the molecular level to react as an allergen. Next choice would be a limited ingredient diet, of which you have a variety of brands and flavors and might even be able to get some at PetsMart or Petco and not have to go to your vet.

Thanks again, Susan. I'll try the Hill's first. If I see that her skin is improving, maybe then I'll slowly try to switch her to the limited ingredient diet and see how she does. At this point, the price isn't as important as finding her some relief.

Back