CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Baby chicks as a food source?

Old 01-04-2019, 06:21 AM   #11
rolandslf
I agree with Zincubus and wish to add that Chicks/chickens have less dietary value than Rodents.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #12
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandslf View Post
I agree with Zincubus and wish to add that Chicks/chickens have less dietary value than Rodents.

That's as I understand things although many feed chicks occasionally just to keep things interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 01-04-2019, 09:49 AM   #13
Twolunger
Quote:
Actually, comparing day old chicks to pinkie mice you will find the protein value almost the same. Chicks are just slightly higher in fat. As both mice and chicks develop the protein value drops and the fat content rises significantly.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #14
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Actually, comparing day old chicks to pinkie mice you will find the protein value almost the same. Chicks are just slightly higher in fat. As both mice and chicks develop the protein value drops and the fat content rises significantly.

It's crazy that day old chicks cost 10 pence ( £0.10) whilst large mice cuts FIFTEEN times more !

Old 01-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #15
67temp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
It's crazy that day old chicks cost 10 pence ( £0.10) whilst large mice cuts FIFTEEN times more !

It makes sense somewhat. Incubation for a chick is 21 days for hatching, then can be culled with no additional cost. A mouse is 21 days for gestation then roughly 42 days till maturity. The mouse also requires food and bedding both during gestation and growth.

My corns get a combination of mice, asf, Norway rats, and day old chicks.

Once breeding season comes I'm gonna hold back two corns from the same clutch and do a test with them. One will get fed mice for the first year and the other will be fed asf to see how their growth is affected by their prey.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:46 PM   #16
Twolunger
There used to be real bargains in the egg laying chicken breeds when the chicks were sexed and only hen chicks retained. I haven't priced any lately but I'll bet there are still good deals. I mentioned to my wife that I wanted to start a couple mice colonies, since the rodent costs are somewhat high. But she said no way, no how, to having mice in the house again. So we compromised, I think, on the ASF's. Now I have to find a starter colony.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #17
MysticExotics
For most Corns, rats are too big of a food source, IMO. I start considering XL adult mice for the Corns that are over 400grams.
I've been contemplating feeding some of my larger Corns ASF's, and I probably will after I get moved and establish a feeder colony.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:22 PM   #18
veldfire
Quote:
I'll just leave this here for you to ponder

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google