• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Antisocial

So my snake shed about a week ago and she is still being super antisocial could there be something wrong or is this just after shed behavior?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what do you mean by anti social? Is she trying to bite or just hiding a lot?

Is she eating, pooping, drinking, and acting normal otherwise?

Has anything else (besides shedding) happened in the past week? ie- Has the temp dropped or raised drastically, has the humidity changed drastically, did you change something or do something different in her cage, has your routine with her changed in some way?

Corn snakes need a while to acclimate to a new environment, and babies tend to be flighty and snippy at times anyway. Developing a "Routine" and regular handling, and familiar surroundings, with steady correct temps lead to a healthy happy snake. If something changes, then the snake may have to adjust to it.

No she had never ever even tried to bite or even acted like she wanted to she is just hiding a lot even at night!! I did add that moss to her viv so she could have more humidity for shedding! I've added a couple hides too!! I honestly haven't seen any poo though but I am using aspen so I may just not be seeing it I'm not sure!!

Hatchlings are super hide-mode. I'm usually surprised the rare times I catch Tango out and about, and he typically retreats quickly, only not to be seen again the rest of the night.

As far as poo goes, check the edges of the viv and pull back the aspen. I notice a lot of corns like to poop around the perimeter.

Good tip thank you!! The only reason this was bothering me was because when I first brought her home she was so curious and was out and about like all the time and then she went into Blue and ever since then she is rarely seen

if she has finished her shed, you can remove her "Humid Hide." You might have the humidity too high for her now. The Humid Hide will permeate its humidity throughout the tank. Ideal humidity is about 50% give or take a bit. There's no need to increase it except during a shed. Are you using a humidity gauge?

I don't have a humidity gauge but I'll get one today! My house is a little dry due to the wood stove and she seemed to love lying on the moss but I didn't realize too much humidity could bother her so I'll make sure to get one today!!

None of my kids are very "social" except Duff, he is always out, I have never caught him sleeping or just coiled up. Everyone else is in their hides 90% of the time except feeding day. Oh yes, on Sunday nights you can set your watch by them!

You are not alone.

Cleo has been in her hide so much after her last shed, about 8 days ago, that I too was wondering if something was wrong with her. I fed her the evening after her shed and that went fine, but after digesting, she is usually out and about in the evenings. This time she has stayed hiding most of the time.

So I went through the aspen and everything in the viv looking for a possible regurge before feeding again. There was nothing but a little buried poop which I cleaned up. A physical exam shows nothing out of the ordinary either. I then fed her and she ate fine. Today, she's evidently done digesting and is back in her favorite cool side hide, though I haven't seen more poop yet and am holding off another day before handling.

It is good to be on top of any behavioral changes. It may be nothing but it may be the first alert to a problem.

I'm still keeping an extra eye on Cleo. My personal take is that we went from fall to winter here. The days are a lot shorter. We had our first snow and first cold snap. The air is a little less humid, down to 40% at times, so I am keeping a humid hide in there for her if she needs it. She's clearly not brumating or anything but I'm guessing she's in winter mode.

Keep us posted. It is probably nothing, but it is always good to be aware of behavioral changes.

What kind of set up are you using?

I've noticed a lot more activity in my corns when they are in plastic tubs vs. glass vivs. If you cover the top of the vivarium with cloth your corn might feel more adventurous. S/he is probably coming out during low traffic or low lit times.

Corns are pretty secretive, especially babies. Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with your baby!

I agree with DollysMom, my snakes are much less active in the winter. Come spring, especially if you have any adult males, it'll be like "go take a nap. I'm sick of you falling off the same branch every 4 minutes for 2 months straight." LOL

Well if they do react to shorter daylight, which I personally believe they do, then us being further north probably notice it more than some of the more southern members.

Well if they do react to shorter daylight, which I personally believe they do, then us being further north probably notice it more than some of the more southern members.

I always notice it in my collection. Usually I just brumate. I got one beauty snake that is much more active this time of year unlike the rest of them.

Back