CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Paradox, is it always genetic?

Old 11-21-2016, 08:04 PM   #11
DollysMom
I can answer the chimera question. A chimera occurs when two or more zygotes fuse to form one individual. They actualy have sections with different DNA.

Edited to add: I just looked up the meaning of paradox in reptiles and it is a spot of pigment that would not normally be present. It is not supposed to be able to be passed on.

So from the looks of it, your little one may actually be a chimera considering the size of the coloration. That's very typical of what I know of chimeras.

Personally I think what happened there was all genetic, even the eye.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #12
NiklasTyreso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
My question would be, is it ever genetic? Many have bought paradox snakes and attempted to reproduce them, but not successfully.
Am I the only one that have got a red spot paradox snow from a red spot paradox snow mother?

Low probability do not prove that it is no genetic factor involved. Low probability of getting the paradox offspring just say that it is not a breedable trait, just as twins is not a breedable trait.

Who care to breed two paradox snakes if the chance is 1/100 to get an paradox offspring from paradox parents, when the chance to get a paradox just by chance with any parents might be less than 1/1000? The odds to get the wanted trait in the offspring is still to little.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #13
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasTyreso View Post
Low probability do not prove that it is no genetic factor involved. Low probability of getting the paradox offspring just say that it is not a breedable trait, just as twins is not a breedable trait.
It's not perfectly reproducible like a recessive gene, but twinning has shown to be affected by genetics in some way, as many twin hatchlings are prone to producing more twins. This occurs in human families as well. I imagine paradoxing is similar. Several people have had a single snake or pair produce 2 or 3 paradoxes in their lifetimes.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:31 PM   #14
Highball
Toffee belly in hognose is also a genetic paradox like in snow sand boas. It's highly unlikely it's an additional mutation.

I wish there were more paradox in corn snakes. I have an opal that has a bright orange scale. I'm hoping her offspring have it too. I also have a ghost pied female that has occasional orange spots on her. I haven't checked her offspring for any though. Hmm...

Tom Thompson has a sick paradox peppermint. I don't think that once proved out genetic did it?

Old 04-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #15
Highball
This is my opal's paradox spot

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google