CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Vacuum seal

Old 02-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
Stewy84
Vacuum seal

Just wondering how long pinkies will stay good in a deep freezer when vacuum sealed? I probably ordered more than I should have but shipping is kinda pricy so I order 100 small pinkies 200 large pinkies and 100 fuzzies. I have 6 corns coming that are about 6 months old. I vacuum sealed them in packs of 6. Just wondering if I'll be pitching any of them. Thanks

Old 02-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
Patmart
Where do you live ?? Cos I get mine from our local pet shop
Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 02-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
Stewy84
The closest local shop is 15 min away but charge 3 to 4 times what I can order them for and to top it off I really do not want to support that shop. The guy goes into the Scott smith all animal expo and buys the cheapest animals, has a huge mark up and doesn't have any idea how to properly set up habitats. Come on 70 for a normal baby leopard gecko. The next closest is about a hour and is like 4 bucks for 3 pinkies so by time it's all said and done I have Like 3 hrs there and back and paid a dollar more per pinkie. The way I see it is I can feed 5 of 6 snakes for the same money by ordering in bulk. And to me more is always better, lol thanks

Old 02-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
Patmart
I get 10 pinkies for £3.00 our pet shop is very good she help me to set up my viv
I get fuzzes now cos my baby is 4 months old now
I don't blame you not supporting that shop
Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 02-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
Nanci
They should keep at least 6 months, maybe 12. I'd still feed them 12 months old, if they'd been vacuum sealed.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #6
Stewy84
At 5 day feeding I should be out of pinkies in about 8 months. But I'm not sure I'm don't buying corns yet, I really want a pair of amel okeetees. I'm hoping to get to the Scott smith all animal expo within the next few months. And knowing me I'll find a few others along the way.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #7
DollysMom
Interesting that you should ask that question. If kept frozen and vacuum sealed they can keep up to two years. At least that's what they say on the Big Cheese Rodents web site. They ship theirs vacuumed packed. That is also in line for meat storage guidelines on the FoodSaver site. They don't list mice specifically of course, but they do list other meats. http://www.foodsaver.com/Brand-Promise.html (halfway down the page there's a chart)

I've been using Ziploc vacuum bags with a hand pump, but they have discontinued them. I just bought a FoodSaver and a bunch of one pint vacuum bags for the 150 mice I just bought, 25 of which I'm sharing with my son. BTW, there are other brands of vacuum sealer out there. Not trying to push one brand over another. This is just the one I'm familiar with.

One thing I also do is keep my vacuum packed mice inside gallon Ziploc bags. Sometimes the hand pump bags lose their seal and having them double bagged helps. I currently have some 8 month old frozen mice which are still fine. They look they did the day they arrived.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
Stewy84
Dollysmom, I've been vacuum sealing meat for years now and can tell from my experience that it keeps for 2 years easy. I've used the hand pump also with not so good results. I work on a large dairy and in the winter things get slippery, from time to time we will have a cow with a broken leg. None the less I can't just send a animal that I know it's whole life history out to be made into dog food. Not to mention beef prices seem to get more and more expensive. You will be very happy with the foodsaver, I've use about every brand and have had good results. I however do not like the ziploc brand od bags for the vacuum sealer. I always buy by the role, cut the exact size I need. I'm not a fan of reusing the bags, just a personal preference. Thanks

Old 02-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
DollysMom
I agree on not reusing the bags. They are inexpensive enough.

I had no idea of your experience or background so didn't mean to be preaching to the choir.

My FoodSaver came with a roll, but for so many mice I just didn't want to go to the trouble of making my own bags. I was thrilled to see they had little bags pre-made!

My paternal great-grandparents were dairy farmers in Indiana and later in Kane County, but that's as close to it as I get!

Old 02-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
Stewy84
You weren't preaching, just stating what you knew which is very helpful. I just didn't want to assume that they would fallow the same guide linseed as meat. Thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google