CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Which UTH mats do you use?

Old 06-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
LadyJemima
Which UTH mats do you use?

I was literally just adding Exo Terra Rainforest to my Amazon cart, and I noticed that they only get 3-star average reviews. But I've also read some poor things about Zoo Med and other brands. Curious what everyone here (who uses mats) prefers, brand-wise?

Old 06-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
DollysMom
Mine are all ZooMed, small and mediums. I do stick them to foil first. I have no complaints.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
kayjaypah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Mine are all ZooMed, small and mediums. I do stick them to foil first. I have no complaints.

Why do you stick them on foil, and how do the stick to the bottom of the tank after you've stuck them on foil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
I have 2 ZooMeds. They have a peel off paper and are self adhesive. The problem is, once you attach them to the bottom of the tank, if you ever want to move them or change tanks you can't get them back off without destroying them. (Actually you can if you're very careful, but it's a tedious process).

So if you stick them to foil, then you can attach them to the bottom of your tank with HVAC Foil Tape. If you ever want to remove them, you just slit the tape with a knife and you can place them on another tank or location.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #5
Zombiegirl
Quote:
So if you stick them to foil, then you can attach them to the bottom of your tank with HVAC Foil Tape. If you ever want to remove them, you just slit the tape with a knife and you can place them on another tank or location.
I've started doing this and have to say that it's my new favorite way to use UTH now...Sadly I have only done it to 2 of my vivs but from here on out that's the only way I'll do it. I also use the Zoomed UTH and haven't had any issue with them (other than trying to remove the stuck on ones...)

Old 06-10-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
kayjaypah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
I have 2 ZooMeds. They have a peel off paper and are self adhesive. The problem is, once you attach them to the bottom of the tank, if you ever want to move them or change tanks you can't get them back off without destroying them. (Actually you can if you're very careful, but it's a tedious process).

Wow, that's good to know. I just attached a zoo Med heat pad to my ball pythons tank but I haven't yet attached to one to the corn snake's. I will do that first. Thanks for the explanation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #7
LadyJemima
Oh yeah, I see that ReptiTherm gets way better reviews. Good to know about the foil also.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #8
LadyJemima
Follow-up question: the largest ReptiTherm mat is 8″ x 18″. The Exo Terra I am purchasing is 36" x 18" (x 18"). So...two mats on either side will not cover the entirety of the floor. Do they need to?

*sigh* So much to learn...

Old 06-10-2017, 08:20 PM   #9
DollysMom
Use 2 mediums. They do not and should not cover the entire floor. Center each medium in each half of the floor.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #10
DollysMom
Here's a picture of mine from the inside.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google