• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

HELP!!

for some folks snakes are a source of income - the breeders. They have dozens, maybe hundreds of snakes. They breed and sell and make money and that's what they care about. The snakes for the most part are kept in plastic bins on shelves, they are fed as necessary, and the cages are cleaned as necessary. Handling the snake is not important, its job is to make babies.

For other folks (like me) the snake is a pet. No different than a dog, cat, bird or whatever. The pet owner sees his animal in a different manner than the breeder, just as the dog owner sees his dog differently than the Puppy Mill owner sees his 264 dogs.

I take the time and expense to house my snake in something a bit nicer than a plastic bin on a shelf. I am not interested in the breeding aspect, and currently have only 1 snake. I take the snake out (call it handling or interacting) daily.

The folks that say "Snakes don't like being handled" or "Snakes are incapable of feeling a certain way" obviously don't know what they are talking about.

I've had 5 pet snakes over the past 41 years. One of them, a boa, for 23 years. I've had 2 Amazon Parrots, 2 dogs, and a cat, and I can tell when an animal appreciates being held, rubbed under the chin, and cared for. And yes, snakes are no different. They appreciate a good home, good care, and a rub under the chin too.

Ah yes but there are snakes that you don't want to get all cuddly with. I'm not about to give a cobra or any hot a chin rub. ;) Or even hold a hot. No thanks.

Some keepers of just pets reptiles will set them up in naturalistic tanks and then they'll be mostly display animals.

and some people chain their dogs to a tree in the backyard as a display animal too. Poor things.

I understand breeders and I understand pet owners. I don't understand the people that acquire an animal and then do nothing to care for it, never interact with it, don't clean up after it, and then ask stupid questions : "Why does my snake not like me?"

Ok I have read all the replies here and I will add my two cents
I would say get rid of the cats and maybe even the roommate
I have had a lot of pets over my life and I have found that snakes make the best pets
1. They don't make much noise if any.
2. You don't have to feed them ever day. Just keep them with clean water.
3. And when you clean up after them it is in a box aka viv.
4. The temperature can be a hassle but they make do make thermostats nowadays to get that part easier.
And the best part about snakes
5. If you hear the door bell and you aren't expecting anyone grab a snake and get the door in that order. And 9 out of 10 times who ever is at the door will not want to talk about what ever they are selling or preaching.

Do right by the animals you care for and they will do right by you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrappyeddie,
I agree with 1-4, and I stand and applaud #5.
It's great to fall asleep with a smile on my face!
Lol

Last edited:
Haha I like number five. I'll have remember that next time. Tho I try not to scare people with my snake. I want them to see that snakes aren't the bogey man and play a part in our Eco system. Just like any animal does.
Oh I'd agree with getting rid of the room mate haha

5. If you hear the door bell and you aren't expecting anyone grab a snake and get the door in that order. And 9 out of 10 times who ever is at the door will not want to talk about what ever they are selling or preaching.

I wish I'd have had a corn snake when I was a kid on Saturday afternoons when the Jehovah's Witnesses came knocking... :laugh:

Breeder perspective here: I have 70 animals currently, though more than half are babies that will be sold once they're established. Most do not get held for very long each week, but they do get picked up and inspected at least. I have a few favorites I hold more frequently, but the only major difference I notice in handling them is that 1. my males are on average much more wiggly vs. my clingy females and 2. the ones who get handled less typically act as though they're about to be fed when I first open the cage, staring down my hand until I pick them up, at which point they seem to lose interest. I've gotten into the habit of putting my palm down flat over my more aggressive feeders' heads to signal that food isn't coming before picking them up. It seems to work.

Back