CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

UTH enough for a cold room?

Old 06-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #1
Celestrina
UTH enough for a cold room?

We tend to keep our house around 68-70F (20-21C). Will an UTH keep the entire tank warm enough?

Old 06-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
No.

The UTH is designed to heat only a portion of the tank/cage. The area directly above the pad.

You want a temperature gradient in the tank. A warm area and a cooler area. The pad will take care of the warm area. Place the hide box directly over the pad. Take the temperature reading inside the hide box. As long as it's about 82 to 88 degrees inside the hide box that's ok. The rest of the tank really doesn't matter. If the snake gets too cold he will simply go into the hide box.

I use 2 pads on my tank because it gets cold here too in the winter. I keep a hide box on the warm end at 85 degrees and I keep a hide box on the cool end at about 72. The rest of the cage is just room temperature.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google