CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Oh geez -- is Ruby going to shed??

Old 06-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
LadyJemima
Oh geez -- is Ruby going to shed??

I noticed this afternoon that her eyes seem cloudy. I don't have a very good "before" picture but I swear her eyes were much darker a few days ago. What do you think?

If so...ack, I'm not ready for this. She is not in the best state (underweight), hasn't eaten for over a week and a half, and is just becoming comfortable in her new viv. I've read a lot about sheds and I hope she doesn't have a really bad one, and that she can figure out where her humid hide is (she's only gone in twice, when I've put her there). Seriously....bad timing Ruby....

Old 06-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
The shedding process starts long before the eyes get that Milky look.

In fact many people can tell when their snake is about to shed because it starts hiding a lot more than usual. (My snake does this. When he's hiding more than usual I know he's about to shed).

Many snakes leading up to a shed will also refuse to eat. (Also my snake does this. The past several times he has shed he has refused to eat. He once went 5 weeks without food.)

The process of hiding and refusing to eat can happen several weeks before the eyes ever get milky.

Usually the skin also gets a lack luster dull look too. This usually happens before the eyes get milky, but sometimes it's the other way around.

Finally the eyes get that Milky Glazed over look.

After a few days the eyes will clear up and look normal again. And then the shed happens usually a few days after that.

The entire process form first signs of Hiding a lot to the time of actual shed can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. (I completely missed my snake's Milky eyes one time and found a shed skin in the cage. Took me by surprise. He shed very quickly with no warning. On another occasion it took him 5 weeks to complete the process.)

It's hard to tell with the red eyed snakes sometimes. You can't go by the eyes alone. That's why I've described the entire process to you.

Don't worry about her, she knows how to shed and she knows what she's doing. All you have to do is provide the "humid hide." She knows if she needs it or not.

And if she is about to shed, you could actually be delaying the process by handling her. It's usually best not to feed them during shed and not to handle them during shed.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
Dragonling
Lol, take a deep breath and relax. Consider that most keepers with hundreds of snakes don't even bother providing humid hides and very rarely have shedding issues. This is a non-event for even small breeders like me. But you should enjoy the process! You'll be so excited to find a freshly sloughed skin and a bright shiny Ruby.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #4
LadyJemima
Oh yeah, I am most definitely NOT handling her from here out. That may explain why she refused food twice (or, she's just still settling in and doesn't want to eat). Same with hiding in the aspen all the time.

Wow, poor girl. Bad timing with transferring to a new home. She must be stressed.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:45 PM   #5
LadyJemima
I trust her to know what to do!

Old 06-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
Scrappyeddie77
Yes she is in shed mode her skin seems to have a pale look. My girl looks like that before she sheds just wait until she sheds they are so bright after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-22-2017, 12:13 AM   #7
DollysMom
Relax. I brought home my Cleo as a new baby, and the next day I found her perfect little shed. It was a surprise. At least you have warning.

Leave her alone. Do not feed. Do not handle. Provide fresh water. Clean up any poop. Ruby will do the rest.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:23 AM   #8
Shiari
Also as an fyi, your snake does not appear to be underweight in any photo you have posted.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:22 AM   #9
LadyJemima
Thanks for all the info, guys. I trust her. Just a little bit of a shock less than 72 hours after bringing her home!

Quote:
Also as an fyi, your snake does not appear to be underweight in any photo you have posted.
Her skin is a bit loose and you can feel her spine a bit. She was being fed fuzzies at 3 years old...

Old 06-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #10
Scrappyeddie77

You have this to look forward to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google