CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

ESCAPEE or HIDE LOG HORRORS?

Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #61
Nanci
We should start a club!!

Old 08-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #62
OkeeteeMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by braingarble View Post
I know this is an old thread, but the same thing happened to me....with the same cage decoration/log hide. I purchase this from my local petsmart.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11147241

Even though I could not figure out how my snake would have escaped, I started setting tape traps. After two days of this nonsense, I went with my instinct...I carefully drilled a small hole at the very top of the hide. After all the noise and moving around, she came slinking out of the bottom of the hide.....In the blue.

Needless to say, this item no longer resides in her vivarium. It is near impossible to see this hole/access without turning it upside down and on an angle.

Just wanted to let anyone know this was not a unique experience with this item, but looks more like a design flaw.

-braingarble

I've got to agree about it being a major design flaw! IF the ornament is cut at the correct angle, the new hole faces the back of the viv and is not visible.

The hide is now in Big Cat's viv and he seems to like it a lot...he's even camo'd in it! I'll post another pic as soon as I catch him in it.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #63
chag67
I had the same hide and had the same thing just happen last night. I cut him out today. I'll post pics of the "rescue". Too bad, it is a really need looking log hide. I'm gonna round off the sharp edge and leave the top area open and put it back in.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #64
chag67

Old 12-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #65
OkeeteeMom
Would you look at that! Did you panic and go nuts like some of us did? How did you come around to finding your snake? I'm curious!

I sanded the ends of my log and my Banded Charcoal Okeetee loves it...he's about 2.5 years old now.

Great pix!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #66
chag67
Someone alerted me to this thread in another thread. I have long fingers and could feel him up there.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #67
LGRIGG
Thanks!

Just wanted to add another "it Happened to Us too" story. We had just gotten Edith, our very tiny little butter and my granddaughter loves the snakes. She wanted to get Edith something nice so we went to the pet shop and found another but similar log hide. Ours has shelf fungus growth on it and looks natural also. Well as you can guess Edith went MIA. I really thought my granddaughter might have accidently let her escape but she in fact was in the hide in a wee little hole. My granddaughter had told me that she knew Edith was there but I had been unable to find her. We were sick until we did. I think it is best to use hides that we can safely find the snakes. I may put the hide back when the snakes get larger but I really don't like not being able to handle my pets because they've secured themselves in an unreachable place.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #68
Campitor
yea my guy is 71g now and I don't worry about him getting stuck up in it. He does like it tho, I have it on the cool side with vines around it.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #69
OkeeteeMom
LGRIGG, you're welcome! So glad you found Edith (may be the cutest name for a snake I ever heard!).

Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #70
Neurotica
HELP!!! We just brought home a 2 month old corn snake and the SAME LOG...She's(we think) has come out a few times at first. We we able to feed her, but now it seems she has crawled back into the log and we can't get her out or see her. I've waited up for four nights for her to come out and to remove the log. Nothing!!! Now I'm freaking out. Any advice???

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
escape, escaped, escapee