• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is He Still Hungry?

rweighell

I've had Rusty for 2 weeks now and he's just had his second feed.

After the first (waited 7 days for him to settle in) he stayed pretty calm and relatively still for a few days.

However he has been very active after his second (6 days later), so I wondered if I'm leaving it too long in between? Or if he's just comfortable?

He was about a year old when I got him, and he's about 12 inches long but I can't weigh him as my scales don't go that low!

Thank you :)

You didn't mention exactly what you are feeding him. If you are feeding him pinkies he can be fed every 5 days easily. I've got 4 month old corns that are already over 12 inches long.

My measuring was a bit off first time around, he's actually about 16 inches.
And yes, he's on pinkies. I'll feed him with 5 day intervals and see how he gets on. Thank you :)

I've had Rusty for 2 weeks now and he's just had his second feed.

After the first (waited 7 days for him to settle in) he stayed pretty calm and relatively still for a few days.

However he has been very active after his second (6 days later), so I wondered if I'm leaving it too long in between? Or if he's just comfortable?

He was about a year old when I got him, and he's about 12 inches long but I can't weigh him as my scales don't go that low!

Thank you :)

After a dozen twinkies, Oprah is still hungry too, but that doesn't mean she should eat another one. (LOL)

A year old and only 16 inches long???

Without weight, it's hard to say for sure, but I personally imagine a 16 inch corn snake weighing about 20 to 30 grams. That seems abnormally small for a year old to me, but I'll take your word for it.

If the snake is about 25 grams or more, you might be able to feed 2 pinkies of average size. Or a big one every 5 days.

The Munson Feeding Plan is loosely based on feeding babies about 13% of their body weight in food. (That's why weighing is important). So for example, if your snake did weigh 20 grams, you'd feed a meal weighing about 2.6 grams. This could be 1 pinky weighing that much or 2 that also total that much. Do not "Over feed."

The best method is to try and test. In your next feed, wait for only 5 days and see how your snake reacts.

Thanks for your advice everyone, after a few feeds with 5 day intervals, it seems that he's just quite active in general, haha!

We've had our first shed (perfectly!) so back to normal feeding regimes now!

Back