CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Morph, type and gender theories?

Old 02-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
Seaweedthesnake
Morph, type and gender theories?

Hello!

I’m not entirely sure it’s okay to post this or it’s in the right spot. My apologies and please inform me if I’ve messed up!

I am new to the site and to corns and snakes really in general.

I now have a 6 month old corn who is just wonderful and kind Andrea I want to know so as much about her as I can! Well I think it’s a her haha!

Anyway I posted this a bit in my new member post but I thought why not put it out there in another spot. I believe she is female because of how her tail tapers and also that she is a normal type (not sure I am wording this right) just from pictures I’ve seen and research I’ve done.

Again, I’m new and have no idea but would love to hear what others think!
Please be nice but go ahead and say what you want to say!!

Thanks guys c:

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...suumjznus.jpeg

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...stmke4lpt.jpeg

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...syktqjto5.jpeg

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...sooo0u6uu.jpeg

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...sywjmmijz.jpeg

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...soxafnmch.jpeg

I think she is in shed in all of these! She was much more red on her top half the day I got her. She may not be in shed in the last one where I’m holding her but I think she was and I just didn’t realize!

Thanks again!

Old 02-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
Seaweedthesnake
*and, not Andrea. Sorry for typos!

Also her name is Nori (seaweed) c:

Old 02-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Dragonling

She is indeed in shed, just about the worst time to attempt identification, but I believe you are correct that she is a normal, also called classic or wild-type.

To even hazard a guess at confirming her sex, we would need a photo of both the underside of the tail and from the side, both held as straight as possible.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
Shiari
Your little one is so young that their tails basically all look the same at this age. The tail method is easier with juveniles and adults.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:19 PM   #5
Seaweedthesnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post

She is indeed in shed, just about the worst time to attempt identification, but I believe you are correct that she is a normal, also called classic or wild-type.

To even hazard a guess at confirming her sex, we would need a photo of both the underside of the tail and from the side, both held as straight as possible.
That makes sense! It’s because their colors are obscured right? And thank you, I like the sound of ‘classic’

Oh I see. Okay that is good to know. Eventually I will have her looked at by a vet for a check up and they could probably tell me for sure but maybe if I can get her to cooperate for better pictures I will try asking again!

Thank you much

Old 02-20-2018, 11:24 PM   #6
Seaweedthesnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Your little one is so young that their tails basically all look the same at this age. The tail method is easier with juveniles and adults.
Oh okay! That makes a lot of sense as well. I tried to do a quick google search of at what age they are considered juveniles and not babies anymore, just out of curiosity at this point, and I couldn’t get a clear answer :c

Thank you for your reply, I guess I will just have to be patient!

Old 02-20-2018, 11:34 PM   #7
Shiari
I consider them juveniles at about 18 months old.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:49 AM   #8
Seaweedthesnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
I consider them juveniles at about 18 months old.
Thank you so much!

Old 02-21-2018, 12:51 AM   #9
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaweedthesnake View Post
That makes sense! It’s because their colors are obscured right? And thank you, I like the sound of ‘classic’

Oh I see. Okay that is good to know. Eventually I will have her looked at by a vet for a check up and they could probably tell me for sure but maybe if I can get her to cooperate for better pictures I will try asking again!

Thank you much
Don't assume the veterinarian will be able to sex your corn, unless you are lucky enough to have a reptile vet. My last vet was afraid of snakes, but would at least do fecal samples for me. The new vet that checks my dogs won't even see my snakes or do a fecal sample. I had to do a search before I found a reptile vet in my area.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
Seaweedthesnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Don't assume the veterinarian will be able to sex your corn, unless you are lucky enough to have a reptile vet. My last vet was afraid of snakes, but would at least do fecal samples for me. The new vet that checks my dogs won't even see my snakes or do a fecal sample. I had to do a search before I found a reptile vet in my area.
Ah yes I understand. I don’t think the vet who sees my cats will likely take on my snake (which is silly to me but it’s there job so of course they should do it how they’re comfortable)

I will take your advice and make sure to seek a reptile vet! Thank you c:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google