CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Hummingbird

Old 08-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
Rich Z
Hummingbird

The hummingbirds have been fighting like cats and dogs around the feeder, but this one finally was able to get a meal in peace.

The first pic was taken with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000.

The last two were taken with the Nikon P900.

These were taken through the bedroom window, and the glass isn't as clean as it should be..

Old 08-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
Nanci
Need a comparison pic from your new phone!!

Old 08-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Need a comparison pic from your new phone!!

Like I could get close enough with that phone to even SEE a hummingbird in a photo I could take.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:08 AM   #4
NinnJinn
Nice Pictures Rich. This is the first time that I have seen pictures of a humming bird that wasn't blurry due to the wings.

Are you or the Mrs. an avid humming bird fan?

6yrs ago My aunt moved back to Indiana after spending 30yrs out west. She started with one small feeder in front of her kitchen window hoping to attract and catch a glimpse of one here and there. After 6 years, She has 4 larger feeders that she fills up 2x day and it is to the point where about 1/2 of them kind of hover around her while she is hanging up the freshly filled feeder. Of course they are always darting around but the most she has counted is 19 at one time...

Old 08-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
Twolunger
I had massive flower beds in Michigan and the hummers were all over the place. I put up a feeder and watched some of the males fighting for the best spot. I found nests in my elderberry bushes and the eggs were tiny, and I watched the babies grow after hatching. The parents didn't seem to mind as long as I stood still and didn't disturb them.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
DollysMom
Beautiful photo, Rich. That's my favorite style feeder-- where they can perch.

When I lived in California we used to have a feeder and we had Anna's Hummingbirds year round. I well remember the hummer wars. We had one male in particular who owned that feeder.

After I moved out and was rooming with a friend we didn't have a feeder, but each evening at dinnertime we saw a hummingbird perch in the same place on the same tree. They sure are interesting creatures.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #7
Rich Z
We have been having some doves lately getting into the bird feeders, and this is a new event too. We have always had them pecking around on the ground, but it wasn't until this year that they discovered the concept of bird feeders up off the ground. They seem to be more keenly aware of their surroundings than the other birds, because they understand the concept of INSIDE by seeing us through the windows. The other birds tend to ignore us when we look through the windows at them, but not so with the doves. Connie doesn't like them in the feeders, calling them "pigeons", because they are so big that they shake the feeder poles when they land and take off. That will shake the hummingbird feeders causing the fluid to slosh around.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google