• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Progression thread: Normal Cape African house snake

Saw your video ... he is a fast mover! Very pretty and graceful for sure.

Attachments

• Snip20160306_1.png
    Snip20160306_1.png
    371.5 KB · Views: 57
Sparkly Clyde

Wow, after his shed the other day, Clyde is real sparkly. I wish it wasn't rainy today and I had better lighting, but in person he is almost iridescent.

He's a whopping 25 grams now!

sCZZSM7l.jpg

6aOuZoWl.jpg

SfHuVaDl.jpg

yZZxzNzl.jpg

gsdNRtel.jpg

And this Clyde last night, just being cute under his water dish!

DfHyWoPl.jpg

Last edited:
Very shiny looking! (I can't believe I have a snake that weighs more than Clyde!) :rofl:

I was thinking that as I posted, Ken. Yes, Loopy is a big boy now! He will remain larger than Clyde from here on out. Breeding weight for male Cape African House Snakes is 125 to 150 grams.

I figured House Snakes were generally smaller than corns when I saw Clyde's weight. Good for you! Who wants a 20 ft. reticulated python crawling around the living room?

Love the pic of Clyde's nose sticking out of his water dish hide.

Is that a combo "Hide and Water bowl" made for snakes, or did you just find that somewhere and put it to use? I've never seen one like that. It works great as a double purpose item.

With that being said, does he seem to like that as a primary hiding place?

I figured House Snakes were generally smaller than corns when I saw Clyde's weight. Good for you! Who wants a 20 ft. reticulated python crawling around the living room?

Retic :rofl:

One thing to note is that house snakes are sexually dimorphic with the females being much larger. I knew that going in. In fact, one of first things I told Tavia when I contacted her was that I knew about the sexual dimorphism. Hard to believe that he was 8 grams when I got him. At first he could only eat a pinky head!

Here's his weight chart:

Nov 3, 2015 8 grams
Nov 22, 2015 8 grams
Dec 2, 2015 10 grams
Dec 28, 2015 11 grams
Jan 6, 2016 14 grams
Jan 11, 2016 16 grams
Feb 7, 2016 18 grams
Feb 20, 2016 19 grams
Feb 29, 2016 21 grams
Mar 21, 2016 25 grams

Is that a combo "Hide and Water bowl" made for snakes, or did you just find that somewhere and put it to use? I've never seen one like that. It works great as a double purpose item.

Those little ones are actually found in the rodent section of Petco. They also have them online, sometimes on sale for a lot cheaper than in the store. I love them and have bought a ton for the babies. Nearly all the snakes I've put them in with have loved them. I've had a few that love to tip them over and had to have a different water bowl but thankfully that's been pretty rare. I really like that it maximizes their space by combining a hide with their water bowl.

Most of my adult snakes also have the dog bowl version of them. I wish that they were a bit more natural looking but they often work a lot better than the prettier, more expensive reptile bowls. Sometimes you can get them at Walmart but our local one hasn't been carrying the right style the last few years. I've been getting the bigger ones at our Shopko, they are dirt cheap and come in 3 different sizes.

Long story short, Tavia uses these dishes for her babies. So when I asked what I could do to make Clyde feel at home before he was shipped to me, she mentioned it.

You can get them online from Petco. It's just a small animal dish.

I hadn't seen him under there for a long time, so it was especially cute when I found him there last night. I didn't know he still fit, but obviously...

It was his primary cool hide when I first got him. His primary hiding places at this time are his warm hide which is a cork 1/2 round that is almost flat and his humid hide. He can also fit under the wood base of his little plant and I find him there fairly often.

He's 3x larger than when I got him so I know he's going to need larger hides at some point.

P.S. I didn't see Tavia had already answered when I posted this, lol. She truly is Clyde's hatch mom :)

Last edited:
Because you can't have too many snake pictures

I got a label maker so here is Clyde's new label.

PnCpRlml.jpg

Clyde in the critter keeper while I cleaned his house. I haven't mentioned it but he mostly poops in the corner furthest from his warm hide. It's his toilet corner. He makes cleanup easy.

ZNviv0pl.jpg

We all know they look different colors in different light. This is the truest representation I have of his color. He's a beautiful golden brown in natural light.

JWQ0uYdl.jpg

Clyde loves the phone and spent some time wrapped around it today. He does change the settings when he crawls on the screen. He's going to be taking selfies soon at this rate. Firmly anchored on my fingers, I estimate he's stretched up at least 1/2 his length here. It's amazing to watch.

s8588TLl.jpg

Just sniffing things out here.

wzJg8izl.jpg

Sweet little face.

4FnvVlGl.jpg

Back home in the viv. That's the cool side temp. His warm side is 90 F.

QaxPLJrl.jpg

Last edited:
LOL He's really reaching out. He wants to reach out and touch someone.

On that 3rd pic, he is so shiny. You're not putting auto wax on him are you? :D

He stretches towards the phone like that all the time. If he didn't I'd have a lot more clear pictures, lol.

Hmm, not sure which works better, Turtle Wax or Snake Oil, lol.*

*On the off chance someone sees this takes it seriously, the waxing part is a joke -- do not wax or oil your snake to make it shiny.

One more pic before the day is done. Clyde's largest pinky ever at 3.4 grams. He had no problems with it. Definitely getting him ready for his first fuzzy. He saw/smelled me getting the mouse out of the warm water, and drying it. He had his face pressed up to the glass on that end of the viv and was fixated on it.

5eLzf12l.jpg

Back