CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Wood allergies

Old 01-14-2005, 12:50 AM   #1
EvilRix
Question Wood allergies

Hi,

I understand that certain types of wood can harm my baby corn (Ollie). I only found this out after a brought a piece of 'bogwood' from my local pet store.

The wood has been sand blasted clean and sterilised. It is designed to be decorative for aqueruims (sic?) and as such was guarenteed to be safe. The problem is this statement is for fish. I've had the wood in Ollies viv now for a few days and he seems happy enough, in fact he loves the wood and is always climbing over it or hiding under it. Should I have any concerns or is the wood likely to be safe? What types of wood are and arn't safe for future reference?

Ta very much.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:26 AM   #2
Joejr14
Stay away from cedar and pine.

I think that's about it.

Old 01-14-2005, 11:04 AM   #3
starwarsdad
One way to help identify what type of wood it is is to wet it thoroughly. Then heat the oven up to about 225°F. Put the wood in for about 15 minutes, checking it to make sure it does not burn. If it is cedar or pine, you will get a very pine fresh smell coming from the oven. This method is not 100%, but it can help.

Again, make sure the wood is wet and check it frequently to keep from burning the house down.

Old 01-14-2005, 11:13 AM   #4
Kel
I agree with testing it for a pine-y smell by warming it first. I've used bogwood in my vivs for some years with no ill effects. Bear in mind that it's very heavy and could do some serious damage if if falls onto a snake. Make sure that it's completely stable and that the corns won't be able to knock it over.

Old 01-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
starwarsdad
And watch out for them burrowing under it and knocking it over or becoming trapped underneath it.

Old 01-15-2005, 04:03 AM   #6
EvilRix
It's almost completely flat with just enough imperfections in it to provide a number of wonderful hide for Ollie. It also has a few holes in it that allow him to get underneath without having to burrow his way in. He seems to really love it and spends most of his time in or on it. It's been in his viv for a week now without any ill effects.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:09 AM   #7
Creeper
We use shreded aspen bedding. It works well and Creeper doesn't seem to have any objections. Pretty inexpensive too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google