• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeder Question??

cornsnakes101

Two Corns and Growing!
So I only have two corns both of them yearling's and as of now i feed them live fuzzy's only because I can't find a f/t dealer that sells in small quantities as we all know they only sell fuzzy's in a minimum quantity of 100 and they'll outgrow them by the time i hit 50, maybe. So does anyone know of any small f/t mouse dealers?

It is hard to buy frozen mice in small quantities. The shipping costs are the same for 10 mice as they are for 100 mice. But when you divide the cost by 10 mice it makes them too expensive. Most people that buy frozen try to buy as many as possible in one shipment to save on the shipping cost.

Having said all of that, how many would you want to buy at a time?

Here is a better answer for you. Here is a link for The Mouse Factory. They have an 800 number you can call. I haven't bought mice for years and years but I used to buy from these people and they are fantastic. I know people who still deal with them and love them.

I just looked it up and they will sell you fuzzies in packages of 25 and they cost 0.40 each. I don't know what the shipping cost will be on that but Edna will tell you if you call her. She is a great lady and will answer all your questions.

Dang! for 25 fuzzy's it cost 40 dollars for shipping so all together $50 thats expensive! Does anyone know how much petsmart/petco frozen rodents?

That is the problem with small orders. You could buy 50 mice and the shipping would still be the same. Check with some of your pet stores and see if there is a herp club in your area, maybe you could find someone to share an order with you.

That is the problem with small orders. You could buy 50 mice and the shipping would still be the same. Check with some of your pet stores and see if there is a herp club in your area, maybe you could find someone to share an order with you.

I don't think I have any herp clubs where I live, Albuquerque NM, I think I remeber some little f/t mice breeder in my area that will drive to your house in a van or you can pick it up from their house Ill see if I can find him if not would fresh killed work, I would do it humanely of course and if so how would it do that?

You need to get more corns. Then you won't have this problem. LOL

Lol I'm actually considering it but I don't know what morph to get next I'm think anery haha

There must be someone in your area that is buying mice. Ask at the pet shops and see if they can give you the name of other snake owners in your area. See if there is a pet store that specializes in reptiles. That would be better than PetCoSmart.

There must be someone in your area that is buying mice. Ask at the pet shops and see if they can give you the name of other snake owners in your area. See if there is a pet store that specializes in reptiles. That would be better than PetCoSmart.

I looked around and found this one place specializing in herps but they want 1.25 for a frozen fuzzy each.. ridiculous I tell you. I think I'm gana buy them from the place im getting them now and just put them down myself and freeze them. If I can't find anything better to do.

I looked around and found this one place specializing in herps but they want 1.25 for a frozen fuzzy each.. ridiculous I tell you. I think I'm gana buy them from the place im getting them now and just put them down myself and freeze them. If I can't find anything better to do.

Actually from a pet shop 1.25 per is not a horrid price. Its $2.00 each if you have 25 shipped to you. So really 1.25 isnt that bad of a price. If you feed once a week, an average 4 week month, your only paying $5.00 per snake. Really not bad for having a couple of snakes.

I sell mine to private people for $1.00 per (small orders). Bulk orders get a better deal, but I only sell locally or I'd help you out....

I run into this problem during the fall and winter. For the most part, I raise all my own feeders, but when my mice and rats go on winter hiatus and production is down, unfortunately, I have to order them.

There are two things you could do to solve the problem

1. See if there are any reptile shows coming to your area. Sometimes there are vendors there that you can purchase feeders from and they are very reasonably priced.

2. This is the one I use, because I hate the cost of shipping. I place an ad on Craigslist asking if anyone would like to split the shipping costs with me for snake feeders. The last time I did this, I got two takers, so it was split three ways.

I found out what the other people wanted, placed the order and paid for it. I told the other people involved what their totals would be when they came in. I had the feeders shipped to my house. When they did come in, I met them part way from where they lived, they paid me for their portion of the order, plus 1/3 of the shipping cost.

I didn't make them prepay, because they don't know me. Plus, if they didn't pay or if they changed their minds, I had the feeders in my possession and I could either use them or sell them.

Hope that helps,

Wayne

Correct me if i'm wrong, but can't you mix and match feeder size from places like Rodent Pro, Big Cheese Factory, and Mice Direct. I would suggest getting a large order together but get the size and quantities of what you will need in the future as well. That way you can take advantage of the shipping cost as best as possible and get the feeders you need now and as the snake grows.

Mouse Factory will not open packages so they have limits of one package that might have 25 mice. But they will combine sizes for price discounts.

I went to Rodentpro, I got 1 bag of each size. Might have gotten two of one size can't remember, lol. All I remember is how awsome the total was. $140 something. Enough feeders to last until next tax return. That is a whole year for 7 snakes! Just a thought :)

I ordered mine from my petstore. He placed a special order for 100 fuzzies and 50 small adult mice...it still ended up being a little over $100 though. You could also get the minimum order of fuzzies and just double up on them. That is what we are doing with some of ours. The sizes of mice vary so much from dealer to dealer that some of the small mice we got weren't much bigger than the fuzzies so we give some of ours 2 fuzzies. We also started cutting the fuzzies in half to replace the pinkies...instead of 2 pinkies, they get 1 fuzzy or 1 1/2 fuzzy. (I am talking about the small peach fuzzies and not the larger ones) Hope that makes sense. We are trying to find someone locally as well to split orders with so we can place a large order from mice direct or rodent pro. The shipping costs are so high. We had thought about breeding our own mice, but may hold off on that until we breed our corns. You are right though, a lot of local pet stores don't carry many frozen mice.

Holy cow! A hundred dollars for 150 mice! I paid under $100 and got 700 mice of different sizes from Mice Direct. Beats the hell out of pet shop prices and I don't have to reorder anytime soon.

Just because your corns will be ready for bigger mice doesn't mean you can't feed multiple fuzzies to them.

Also, PetCo sells frozen mice (usually 1 in a bag or an option of 3 in a bag) of all sizes in bags in the freezer near the fish section. They're at the bottom at the freezer.

Petsmart sells frozen mice in bigger quantities, 3 or 6 mice in a resealable bag that is in a box that is blue with with text that I believe is "Arctic Mice/Mouse."

There's also the other option of breeding your own mice. You'd be able to get the right size and freeze them for later. You could freeze either all the mice you breed or sell some if you aren't sure how many to freeze at what size.

I started raising my own feeders. Thought it would be fun. Plus it is nice knowing that I can always have the sizes I need. I have only been at it about a month and just fed off my first fuzzy. Its kind of fun raising your own. It was a little hard to put down the litter that I had so that I could freeze them, but it is the cycle of life I guess. I would definetly think about raising your own.

Back