• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Me here to feed.

I personally feed my adult male corn snake out side his enclosure. He's very timid and doesn't get aggressive when feeding. I've only been bit when provoked, I touched the mouse and stuck my finger in front of him. I find if maize is stressed he refuses food. I also find if the lights are too bright this also disturbs him, Sometimes refusing food. I usually opt to feed in the dark on a new clean paper plate. Then I return him to his tank for 48 hours of digesting before being handled again. This has worked very well for me personally since I brought him home June of 2012

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 15 year old male gets fed inside his regular habitat. Sometimes I put a paper down but most of the time I feed directly on the substrate. I use tongs.

Sleenkie has never bitten or struck at anyone and has a very docile and agreeable personality.

I don't like to handle my snakes after feeding, so they get their mice right in their habitats.

I personally have a Little sterilite 6qt container I feed my snake in. (holes punched into the side for air)

It has a lid, so if he is being ultra shy I can just pop the lid on. Set it on the table, let him do his thing, dont have to worry about him escaping. And I can take him out and put him back in his cage when he is finished (I wait for him to get it down pretty far, so when I move him he wont be urged to regurgitate it)

Its easy to clean. It fits in the sink so if he poops in it I can just wash it right away and not have to worry.

It also helps when I clean his cage out completely (I feed him while I clean it up). I can put him in it,Feed him and let him chill while I clean the tank out. Its small enough I can toss it on the shelf in the closet and it doesn't take up the space a normal tank would. he also knows when he goes into it, that its feeding time. and when he goes back into his main tank, its nice and clean for him.

I've always fed in their enclosures, and I have no problems.
Snakes only associate your hand with food if that is the only time you open the enclosure, (or if you've been handling rodents).

I don't handle my snakes as often as some do, but handle mine when I clean cages, weigh them, check them, etc., but most of mine are not aggressive. I say that, because I have a couple, like Zebra Jungles that are just plain evil, no matter what. LOL

But having fed inside their enclosures, regardless of age, etc, they do not bite me.

It could just be the sink. If the surface is too slippery, the snake may stress or freak because it simply doesn't feel it has the purchase/friction required to move, and therefore to feed efficiently/safely.

I have a large plastic bin about 2 feet long and a foot wide. It's sort of like tupperware, clear plastic. I line with with a few layers of paper towels. This is the "Feeding Box."

If you have mulch, repti-bark, aspen or some sort of shavings in your setup, these could stick to the mouse and then the snake could swallow a piece of this foreign material and could actually hurt them significantly. That's one reason for not feeding in the tank. If you have newspaper, paper towels, or some sort of mat material in the setup, then you can feed the snake in the tank.

A second reason to Not feed in the Tank is because of "Learned Behavior." Yes, snakes can learn stuff- they're not stupid. If the snake gets used to eating in his main tank, then he could associate your hands in his tank as "Feeding time." And you could get bit by mistake. If you remove the snake to a separate feeding box, he will learn that activity, and understand what is going to happen when you place him in that box.

When I place my corn snake in the Plastic Feeding box I mentioned above, he immediately starts looking for the mouse. He knows what's about to happen.

He never snaps at me when I reach my hand into his cage, and I don't have to worry about him swallowing something that might get stuck to the mouse.

Good advice and the same reason I feed outside of the tank in a rubbermaid. But I respect that everyone has a different opinion.

There are the "what if's", but none of them are absolute, or all that common, for that matter.

I've always fed in the enclosure with Corns, Kings, and a variety of Carpet Pythons, and none have ever become more aggressive because of being fed inside their enclosure.

I've fed with aspen in the enclosure, with no problems. I thaw the rodents out in water, and let them dry a bit on a towel before I feed, so they're slightly damp when I feed, and I've never had a problem with ingestion of substrate.

It boils down to what works best for you.

Back