CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Mice or rats?

Old 08-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #21
amanda84
I feel like I'm starting an argument. I think every doctor is different. I also don't want any fights over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 08-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #22
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda84 View Post
I feel like I'm starting an argument. I think every doctor is different. I also don't want any fights over it.

You're not. Everyone has their opinion, and yes, many Dr's give different advice.
I use what works well for me, based on information from friends who have been doing this a lot longer than I have.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:09 PM   #23
MysticExotics
If you look at the size of most Cornsnakes, and the size of rats, common sense tells you that rats are too big of prey for Cornsnakes.

I have had friends who have had snakes die way before their time, and a necropsy shows large fatty deposits, and the animal was fed rats.
I have talked with people in the Carpet Python (snakes that actually are large enough to handle rats) world who have even looked into starting to offer a variety of lower fat prey (chicks, quail) because they have lost Carpet pythons from being fed too fatty of a diet with rats.

You have to do what you feel is best for your animal(s).

I have fed weanling rats to females recovering from egg laying, but I've had much more success giving reptile vitamin supplement (injected into f/t mice) to malnourished snakes or females having a hard time recovering from egg laying. I do not give it to otherwise healthy snakes.

Proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:36 PM   #24
amanda84
Well I appreciate your information. I'm going to stick with mice. Plus they're cheaper. Hehe. Also, would the chicks and quail have to be fed to larger snakes? I can't imagine my guy eating either of those at this age

Old 08-26-2015, 11:00 PM   #25
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda84 View Post
Well I appreciate your information. I'm going to stick with mice. Plus they're cheaper. Hehe. Also, would the chicks and quail have to be fed to larger snakes? I can't imagine my guy eating either of those at this age

Yes, it would be for larger snakes.
I usually keep my smaller/younger Corns and Kings on mice as babies/juvies, and periodically offer baby quail when they're adults.
I offer baby chicks (chickens) to my Carpet Pythons occasionally.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:18 PM   #26
amanda84
I weighed my guy today and he is almost 4 ounces

Old 08-26-2015, 11:21 PM   #27
amanda84
I got him on 7/20 and he weighed 3ounces. So he seems to be doing pretty good!

Old 08-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #28
MysticExotics
Sounds like he's growing well for you!
He's close to 113 grams, which is big enough for weanling mice (over 90 grams is about when most people move up to weanling mice).
How is he doing with the hopper mice?

Old 08-27-2015, 04:57 AM   #29
amanda84
Really?! That's crazy!! I feel like he is doin okay with them. The first time I was freaked out. I was told they were doing pinkies and had just changed him to fuzzys when I got him from the people I got him from. That's when I learned he should have hoppers, thanks to helpful people here. So the first time I fed him a hopper I freaked out but I think he is doing good. How do I know if he is ready to handle the size change? Here are two shots of him eating a hopper.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:58 AM   #30
amanda84
By the way thank you for all the help. I greatly appreciate it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google