• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My First DIY..A Few Questions

admitchell08

Read Katy Manula
So I am planning on building my first rack over spring break in a couple of weeks and I have a few questions before I begin...
Does anybody have DIY instructions that I can modify to be able to use for 34qt sterilite tubs?

Also..I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question, but while using racks, do people make them to where you leave the lids off the tubs and just slide them in and out but have no room for the snake to escape? If so, I feel that I would have to make several attempts at trying to get them to fit snuggly in the rack...is this the case with anyone else?

And I plan on using flexwatt, do you suggest putting it inside the tubs and covering it with something to where the snake can't get direct access to it? Or should I place it underneath the tub?

I am guessing that 11" flexwatt would be best, right? I don't really know anything about the stuff, but can you cut it to fit right or are there only certain places where you can cut it?

Are 34qt sterilites large enough for adults? Or do you recommend I get larger?

I think that's it for my questions for now...

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

The only thing I am still wondering about is if I should run one long strip of 11" flexwatt down the back on one side, or if I should cut it into 1ft pieces and put a piece under each tub. I know it would be more wiring and more work..what do you suggest? If it is just one long strip down the back, does it heat evenly all the way through out? Or is it hotter near the end with the electrical connection, and cooler at the other end?

Which design did you choose?
I think the flexwatt is pretty even throughout it's lenght. You'll probably want to put the flexwatt under each tub though, it's more efficient then back heat. Also the top shelves will be warmer the then bottom ones anyways so you will want to be able to control the temps separately. Depending how tall your rack is, you will want to put at least half of the shelves on a seperate dimmer.

I really want to try something like this. But I'm not sure if it would be easy to do? I don't really have even a clue as to where to begin, but I'm gonna try to just work it out as I go. I want to make it to where it will snuggly fit a 34qt sterilite on each shelf. And I am going to put the flexwatt underneath each tub. That's what I originally intended on doing, but when I was looking around, pretty much everybody had theirs running down the back so I thought maybe that's how it was supposed to be. But I guess it's just personal preference?
Anyways, any ideas or tips you may have would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think a separate piece under each tub is needed, but I would run a separate strip for each shelf...going by the pictures in that link, if you have 2 tubs a shelf, they can each share a strip...know what I mean?
I imagine I will be tackling this feat in a month or so...so keep us updated :)

-Josh

"Back heat" is best used when the ambient temp in the room is CONSTANTLY the same. I would use belly heat :) Just when you add each strip to each shelf, I would cover it will aluminum tape...help hold it down as the tubs slide over it...you should be golden.

Yeah I plan on only making it to where one single 34qt tub will fit on each shelf, I like the uniform look of it. I definitely wouldn't plan on putting a piece under each tub if I had more than one tub on each shelf!
But yeah, I'll definitely keep you updated and will post pics along the way!

"Back heat" is best used when the ambient temp in the room is CONSTANTLY the same. I would use belly heat :) Just when you add each strip to each shelf, I would cover it will aluminum tape...help hold it down as the tubs slide over it...you should be golden.

Can you get the tape at a hardware store or is it only available with the flexwatt? I was originally going to purchase it but it was $19 plus shipping for a single roll, so I didn't know if I should check to see if I couldn't get it elsewhere for cheaper.

I have found that local stores seem to have "heat cords" or whatever, they are made to wrap around water pipes in the winter, and have seen some people use them, but I would just order the flexwatt. I imagine after shipping it's about the same price if not cheaper. What site are finding the flexwatt on btw? I need to bookmark it :)

And about the tubs/strips of heat...I just glanced at that pic in the link and thought you were doing more than one tub per shelf...I understand now...just know you could take one or two shelves, flexwatt them, and setup up atleast a few smaller tubs...I KNOW you are going to be posting some more "look at my new snake" threads soon :)

-Josh

I KNOW you are going to be posting some more "look at my new snake" threads soon :)

-Josh

I actually just ordered 4 snakes from SMR and will be getting them on the 17th! That's why I need to start building my rack!

Also, I meant about finding the aluminum tape at the hardware store, not the flexwatt!

The Bean Farm is where I plan on getting my flexwatt. Just a random question..if I bought it and had it shipped by UPS ground, how long do you think it would take? I can't decide if I should have it shipped to my dorm, or to my house. I would rather it get shipped to my dorm, but I am not sure if it will take a long time and I don't want to risk not getting it before I head home for spring break.

Eh...up to you, but I would ship it home...that way even if it comes before you get there, it'll be waiting on you...the thing w/UPS ground is that they will give you estimated date of arrival, but depending on conditions (weather, roads, driver gets arrested for DUI...whatever :) ) it could take a few days longer...

You can DEFINITELY get aluminum tape at local places...I would almost venture to say that Walmart has it, but not 100% sure.

Congrats on the 4 new ones on the way!!! What'd you order? Just wondering ;)

-Josh (On my way to Beanfarm's website :) )

Ok cool.
I ordered:
female striped motley butter
male bloodred het caramel, poss het lavender, amel, anery, hypo
female bloodred het stripe and amel, poss het hypo and anery
male striped amel het caramel

I'm so excited. And Don truly is a pleasure to work with. He answered all of my questions and made sure I knew everything I needed to know. We literally sent about 43 emails back and forth with my questions and his answers.
I would highly recommend him for your next snake purchase.

I got my tape at Walmart, it shouldn't be hard for you to find.
Congrats on your new corns! :cheers: Don is well loved in the reptile world.

Awesome...on my way to check that out :)
Now I am going to have plans of racks running through my head all week!

Yeah that's how I've been since this weekend!

I got my tape at Walmart, it shouldn't be hard for you to find.

Ok cool I will check walmart next time I'm there.

Congrats on your new corns! :cheers: Don is well loved in the reptile world.

Thanks! A few years ago I stumbled across his site before I had even considered owning a corn, it was just out of pure curiosity that I ended up there. Little did I know that a few years later I would end up ordering from him!

Back