CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

must spread around

Old 08-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #131
Rich Z
So how is this working out so far?

One thing I did change in the admin settings was to change Reputation Point Factor from "10" to "1000". I think that setting was the one most responsible for the snowballing effect previously, so I wanted to limit that quite a bit in this rendition.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #132
HerpsOfNM
seems great, though I seem to be seeing just a bunch of people at either 0 or 1. But if I read post #130 correctly, if you're at 0 you must get 10 "add to x-user's reputation" hits before you move in scale, i.e., if you've received 20 rep adds you should be at a rep power of 2? If I following correctly?

Old 08-19-2013, 02:09 AM   #133
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpsOfNM View Post
seems great, though I seem to be seeing just a bunch of people at either 0 or 1. But if I read post #130 correctly, if you're at 0 you must get 10 "add to x-user's reputation" hits before you move in scale, i.e., if you've received 20 rep adds you should be at a rep power of 2? If I following correctly?
If you are referring to the accumulation of rep power, nope. As I mentioned above, I changed the Reputation Point Factor from "10" to "1000". So it will take getting 1000 rep points from someone else before your rep power increases by 1. Yes, it will likely take a long time before anyone gets a rep power of "2 or more now.

Any new member with a post count less than 20 will have zero (0) rep power, but on reaching the 20 goal post, they then get a rep power of one (1). I think having new members establish a little bit of a footprint here before their reputation grants affect others is prudent to do.

I felt that the reputation POINTS are the important factors here, and not the amount of "power" that someone can accumulate. So I just evened out the playing field such that if someone has 498 rep points, than that means that 498 actual grants of reputation by members GAVE that person those pats on the back. I think this is a more realistic use of the reputation system and better reflects what the points mean. In other words, actual reputation point totals are the goal to be striven for and not any such "power" derived from that and other factors.

And this is also the basis behind my removing the increases in reputation power based on length of time registered here as well as the quantity of posts made. With the system as it is now, I believe it is TRULY reputation based without having anything being ratcheted up in "score" based on arbitrary influences.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google