CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

CornSnakes Forum on Tapatalk!!! Thank you, Rich!!!!!

Old 08-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #21
Nanci
Thank you for at least looking into it!!!

Old 08-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #22
Nanci
Rich- besides the forum, lots of us here are in frequent contact by texts throughout the day and evening! I'm not a phone person either but it's great being able to text cool snake feeding pics or herping pics or whatever, spur of the moment, without having to take a picture, DL it onto a computer, process it, upload it to the forum or Facebook or whatever. A smart phone is the coolest thing ever.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #23
Rich Z
Well, here's the email I sent to my programmer as well as his reply.

Quote:
Date: 8/26/2011 , Time: 12:36 PM, Author: Rich Zuchowski:

> Hi Sinan,
>
> Like it or not, it appears that these mobile handheld devices that
> people are using to tap into the internet are here to stay. Personally
> I don't use them myself, but I'm getting quite a few people asking me to
> implement easier ways for them to participate in my forums using those
> devices. I doubt I am the only one facing this sort of pressure.
>
> Have you had to dive into this yourself with your own sites or those of
> your clients? I don't think I can continue telling people I WON'T
> implement it without it starting to hurt membership in the very near
> future. Of course, my caveat will be that any problems they have with
> that sort of interface will have to be their own problem, as I do not
> have any way to resolve such issues, much less see the problems they are
> talking about myself.
>
> I guess this is what dinosaurs felt like seeing all those new fangled
> little mammals running around all under foot....
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich Z
Quote:
Hi Rich,

I don't remember if we discussed it before but we had a VERY bad experience
with tapatalk in one of my clients site. It had a security issue and his
board is hacked multiple times and we had very hard time until we figure
out tapatalk was the culprit. So basically I don't trust that application
at all. But if you still want to install it, it is your call, I can install
it for you, it is np.

In my own site, a lot of people (including my mods) use mobile devices but
nearly all mobile devices are capable of loading vb boards so no one
complains about that. One of them had an issue with javascripts disabled
due to vb's default setting and I enabled it since all mobile devices can
handle javascript now so there is no complaints till then. I'm not sure
what your members are complaining about. Whatever device they use, it is
suppose to browse your board fine (maybe excluding large images/attachments
but even tapatalk might not handle these images anyway). Besides last time
I check tapatalk was selling its pluggin to mobile users so even though its
free your end, its not so in their ends.

My suggestion would be trying to learn what kind of problem they are
experiencing in mobile devices and try to fix that if possible on our
style. If this is not possible, considering vb4 upgrade can also be an
option since vb4's latest versions comes with builtin mobile skin. And
tapatalk would be in the last of order of my to-do list but as I mentioned
before, decision is yours.

BTW. I'll be away away from town for 8-9 days for vacation starting
tomorrow. If you sent an email, I might not reply until I'm back, FYI.

Best,
Sinan

Old 08-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #24
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Rich- besides the forum, lots of us here are in frequent contact by texts throughout the day and evening! I'm not a phone person either but it's great being able to text cool snake feeding pics or herping pics or whatever, spur of the moment, without having to take a picture, DL it onto a computer, process it, upload it to the forum or Facebook or whatever. A smart phone is the coolest thing ever.
I guess it's just me, but there is no one in this world that I might want to talk to that it can't wait till I get home. And there is also no one on this earth that I want to call me while I may be away from home, eating dinner, walking through the mall, or just driving too and from somewhere. They can leave a message on my answering machine, and I trust the world will not end before I can get home to answer that call.

I think more and more people are just getting into the habit of getting into their car and cranking up their cell phone to call someone because they are bored driving and have some time to kill. Heck, Connie gets calls from one of her sisters like that. The conversation starts when her sister gets in the car, and ends when she reaches her destination. Kind of makes you feel that you get a phone call ONLY when that person really has nothing better to do.... And talking to you is just slightly better than driving listening to the radio.

Quite honestly, those people who use a mobile phone, and ESPECIALLY send and receive text messages, while driving, are just being, well gray matter challenged, and endangering everyone else on the road around them. Being distracted while driving is likely the number one cause of accidents, and NO ONE can convince me that you are not distracted while having a discussion while driving. I seriously doubt that 99 percent of the conversations that take place while driving are even close to being worth the risk of having an accident while doing so.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #25
Nanci
(But I _am_ using it in that manner at home!) Or out at the Water Garden! I hate getting phone calls at any time, much less when I'm driving...

Old 08-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #26
Nanci
It's not that there is a "problem" for me to browse CS on my iPhone. Tapatalk lists all the forums I subscribe to, eg TipB, Ian's Vivarium, Pitbull Forum, RFUK, etc. I select the forum out of the list and it provides a list of say, unread threads, in a streamlined list. When I open a thread, the text is sized to the screen, without having to scroll, and the images are thumbnails that I can click on to see the full-size picture. It's just nice, not essential.

It's just a way of quickly browsing a forum, without having to actually open it in a browser like Safari, and scroll around or have to pinch it to mag it up to where I can actually see it.

But if your guy says it has security issues, then obviously that is bad. But possibly he could check with forums that are running it and see if they are still experiencing security issues.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #27
Nanci
I realize I have less of a social/family life than most. But I still do not like to be tied to my laptop, at my desk. I want to have all my "stuff," the Internet, Cornsnakes.com, Facebook, Google, weather, Hurrican tracking, digital books and magazines, etc. wherever I am! out in the living room, outside, at Daytona, at work, at my friends' houses. The iPhone and iPad, or whatever device on uses, untethers you from your desk. You are connected no matter where you are.

I _did_ leave my phone in the car when I was at the beach with Carol and Heather, though :-)

Old 08-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #28
JohnNJ
Hey Nanci. Why don't you forward Sinan's concerns to the support group at Tapatalk. They may have had issues early on but have since fixed them. I can't believe 10,000 sites would be using it if it was not secure.

I would do it but I am away from home.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #29
JohnNJ
Hey Nanci. Why don't you forward Sinan's concerns to the support group at Tapatalk. They may have had issues early on but have since fixed them. I can't believe 10,000 sites would be using it if it was not secure.

I would do it but I am away from home.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #30
pridecity
I wanted to jump in and say with pride "I am a member of the Squinty Generation!" Lol

That being said, with my iphone, I generally turn the phone around so that I can read webpages a little better. It's a pain having to zoom in and out and scroll all the time. However, when I get into debates with friends, having the web in my pocket helps out greatly. I usually win my point better that way. Lol

I'll be honest though. I really don't know or understand Tapatalk. Same with Cloud networks or whatever they are. *shrug*

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google