CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

The snake that won't eat

Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
TarynAlisha
The snake that won't eat

Hello all,

My snake Kairos seems to be having a bit of an issue eating lately. He/She (I don't know the sex) has not eaten since the end of April, despite my repeated attempts at feeding. Usually, this snake is the easiest feeder ever; never had a regurge or any problems at all. However, since the end of April it has been refusing to eat and will completely ignore a dangled mouse. Nothing about how I present the food has changed, but Kairos just seems completely uninterested.

This doesn't seem to have affected its health however. Kairos is still extremely active and just shed completely. Drinking normal amounts of water too. Still extremely strong and curious, climbing all over the place. Temps of the UTH are normal.

Also, this same thing happened around this time of year last year - but not the year before. Eventually in early July she accepted food again which is why I have not posted this sooner - I am wondering if this is a "mating season" thing?

Should I be concerned and if so what steps should I take other than regular offerings of food (sucks though because once I thaw the mice I have to throw them away when she refuses them. waste of food and money).

Thanks, Taryn

Old 06-08-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
Nanci
It sounds like a mating season thing to me! I have a number of snakes that have been refusing for one or two months now, both males and two year old females. You could offer as infrequently as once every two or three weeks, and you could offer smaller mice, say fuzzy size, so you aren't wasting so much.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
jayson rafter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
It sounds like a mating season thing to me! I have a number of snakes that have been refusing for one or two months now, both males and two year old females. You could offer as infrequently as once every two or three weeks, and you could offer smaller mice, say fuzzy size, so you aren't wasting so much.
I SECOND THAT!!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
SnakeAround
I third that!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
rosewood
i fourth it!

Old 06-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #6
CALIVIK
I fifth it...lol
I had a few of mine (males) that were driving me crazy not eating. Finally over the wk they are slowly eating again. This is the first yr I'm experiencing this.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
TarynAlisha
hahaha in that case, I sixth it! Thanks guys!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google