CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

my male is suddenly not holdable

Old 06-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #21
Firefur
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreewally1 View Post
Get used to it. Snakes are unpredictable
okay i fail to see how this is a response to my asking you how cannibalization could be a problem now when the snakes have been separated for more then a month? also how is canalization a possible cause of the current problem?

Old 06-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #22
bfreewally1
I was referring to your current problem..Just get used to weird behavior. They have a brain the size of a pea..

Old 06-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #23
Firefur
point taken thank you for clearing that up, if the problem continues i'm thinking of moving some of his stuff out as he was tamer with only a hide a ledge and a small branch. maybe he just doesn't like the climbing vines like the others do.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #24
BigByrd47119
I'll take a stab here. I don't recall if he ever bred with one of the females, but I think there is where the problem lays.

Males are notorious for going on these odd streaks of "freakishness", some every year. It seems to be linked to the males hunt for a mate. Considering that before the separation he never had to "search" for a mate, I wonder if this could be part of it.

I know some breeders on here have noted unusually aggressive behavior from males for a few weeks following breeding. It would be interesting to see if members reported aggressive behavior when their males were roaming for mates.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #25
bfreewally1
Yes, My male quit eating. I had him for 3.5 yrs. He wanted to breed with the female I had next to him in another cage. Even though they wern`t together.. They have a great sense of smell.. But no brains...LOL

Old 06-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #26
bfreewally1
I figure thats why he was always crawling around and never hiding..

Old 06-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #27
Shiari
You said you put him back into the tank where he had been cohabbed. Even after cleaning it, there still may be some lingering pheromones from the female in the cage itself that are driving him nuts.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #28
bfreewally1
I agree.. Snakes have a great receptor and can pick up the smallest particle with their tongue

Old 06-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #29
BigByrd47119
Its important to remember that if this is the problem, it will pass. As Wally says, going off feed is common in these instances, so don't be too surprised if he does.

Look on the bright side! I would take a temporarily aggressive male over an egg-bound female EVERY time.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #30
Firefur
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Look on the bright side! I would take a temporarily aggressive male over an egg-bound female EVERY time.
Amen to that, he did breed with the female that's actually how i found out i had a problem (thank god she's alright) and i moved him to a tank on his own, and then moved the other female snake who i later found out was also male (but the sweetest thing ive ever met) to another tank so all three are separate and waiting new wood vivs.
thats part of the reason i'm so baffled, i would have thought the male who breed would be calm and the one who didn't would be acting like a ninny.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google