CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

hyper/easily startled-will he grow out of it?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
StarpphireEnigma
Question hyper/easily startled-will he grow out of it?

i understand that young corns are very aprehensive ( survival)- and im probly just getting ahead of myself ( it took a while to get my leo to be comfortable being held)- still, when i first held him, he loved it, crawled all over, wraped himself of my sholders, was very relaxed ( and he was in blue too)- but since ive had him home, he freaks out evertime there is sudden movement ( like my hubby getting out of his chair) and he darts around very quickly. it takes a while to get him to finaly take it easy, and it isnt for long.

i know hes still a baby- im just curious if i keep handeling him ( around 48 hours after feed, each day until he needs food- i try not to grab him as he slithers off, but he is so fast! its only in short bursts, and only if he is calm enough to be held ( i let him smell me first, know im there, ill slowly aproach- he now stays long enough to flick his tounge, then leaves))

i love his energy, but its hard to let him have freedom outside his tank because he is so fast and dodgy- do you think he will one day calm down, atleast a little? or will i be dealing with a 3-4 ft garden hose on full blast and not held ( comic image)?

none of this will change that i love him- he is my cutie just the same

Old 06-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Carinata
Baby cornsnakes, and colubrids in general tend to be jumpy as babies. I have raised my fair share of baby colubrids and now work with them on a daily basis through my job and I can say with confidence, 90% of baby colubrids aren't shoulder snakes. Most are afraid that everything is out to get them and that they have to get away. In my opinion, the best way to get a snake used to handling is to handle for a short period of time 1-2 times weekly. This way you're not stressing the animal with constant handling, but not ignoring it. Most corns, tend to be great lap snakes as adult. I used to have quite a few but I sold out to get into AFTs, but I still have my original corn, who is a perfect lap snake

Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Christen
I have also noticed that may snakes are more calm when handled in blue. It is hard for them to see so I think they chose to stay opposed to darting off and falling or going into something more dangerous. So I am sure that he was the same way before you got him but he will calm down.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
rosewood
How long have you had him? Is his enclosure in a high traffic area? How long and how old is he? What size enclosure is he in?

I have never seen a young corn not calm down after time. If you need a hand on the handling bit here is a link to my site, I have made two videos on handling corns.

http://rosewoodcorns.webs.com/apps/v.../2987411-corns

Also keep in mind that too much of a good thing can be a bad thing when it comes to younger corns and handling. Handling too much can cause unneeded stress. Don't hold him the day you feed and wait 24 hours after feeding then handle him once every second day. This gives him a break from the scary monsters that keep picking him up :P

Keep handling time fairly short 15 mins or less. When he starts to calm down more you can up the time to 20-30 mins. Once he is comfortable at that stage you can start holding him every day going back to 15 mins or less, after that back up to 20-30 mins a day. And once he is fine with that knock your socks off Of course keep to the no handling on the day of feeding and no handling for 24-48 hours.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
StarpphireEnigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
How long have you had him? Is his enclosure in a high traffic area? How long and how old is he? What size enclosure is he in?

I have never seen a young corn not calm down after time. If you need a hand on the handling bit here is a link to my site, I have made two videos on handling corns.

http://rosewoodcorns.webs.com/apps/v.../2987411-corns

Also keep in mind that too much of a good thing can be a bad thing when it comes to younger corns and handling. Handling too much can cause unneeded stress. Don't hold him the day you feed and wait 24 hours after feeding then handle him once every second day. This gives him a break from the scary monsters that keep picking him up :P

Keep handling time fairly short 15 mins or less. When he starts to calm down more you can up the time to 20-30 mins. Once he is comfortable at that stage you can start holding him every day going back to 15 mins or less, after that back up to 20-30 mins a day. And once he is fine with that knock your socks off Of course keep to the no handling on the day of feeding and no handling for 24-48 hours.
thankyou so much!
stats: i want to say 3-4 months old, 10 gal long tank with lots of hides and branches ( lock top, cozy) , a private room in the part of the house where, we can look in, but dont need to go in ( i check on them all every day(observe/water/clean/feed) when i do go in) ive had him about 5 weeks- hes about 13 inches long, just finished a shed two weeks ago ( had to help him)
i take him out around 48 hours after he eats ( any sooner, and he poops on me!) see how he feels, if i can calm him down, or get him out ( ill let him know im there first, aproach slow, let him smell me- most times hell sniff, then slink off, though he does it slower and not as panicked as befor- almost more relaxed)
sometimes i have him out for 10 mins or so, put him back. last night i was able to keep him out for over 30 mins- thanks to my hubbys supper docile spotted python- it was amazeing! she calmed him down, and they nuzled and played together for quit a while ( of course we were very very cautious, hands ready to seperate just in case- his snake is twice his size) i know corns can be snake eaters at times, but i was so surprised in thier behavior- i have pics ill have to post.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
StarpphireEnigma
thanks for the site too- i do the same with my baby- hes closer to the size of your younger one- but i know he was in the store for a couple weeks befor i saw him, had to wait a month, got him, and this is the fifth week ive had him- hes strong, exploritive, but is he small for his age? ill post a pic
btw, your corns are beauts! what is the first one again? i couldnt catch it, the the pixles were a bit blury- is he a lavender of sorts? and i LOVE your butter- how much was he?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
rosewood
The corns in the vids are both 10 month old girls (well 11 months now). The first one is a lavender het hypo stripe pos het amel, I paid $75 for her.

I think paid $85 for the butter but I cant remember lol my boyfriend paid for the butter as a b-day gift so I didnt pay to much attention to the price :P

Old 06-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
StarpphireEnigma
so this is my baby with my hubbys baby- she kept as close to him, side to side, scale to scale, matching his moves- never once did either display any adverse actions, preditory or otherwise- i have more pics, but they did this around half an hour, climbing on my husbands desk chair.

second, my tatsu's leangth- i think hes closer to 16 inches mabe? it was convinient for him to strech out like that

Old 06-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
StarpphireEnigma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
The corns in the vids are both 10 month old girls (well 11 months now). The first one is a lavender het hypo stripe pos het amel, I paid $75 for her.

I think paid $85 for the butter but I cant remember lol my boyfriend paid for the butter as a b-day gift so I didnt pay to much attention to the price :P
hm, mine must be older than i thought! i thought the vid said 9 weeks ! i had the sound on so low, i didnt pay atention as well as i thought ( have a 5 year old son too, who loooves the computer- he would tell me to play it over and over again ( he wants a ball python )
well, let me know what you think- he is eating a pooping well, his next feed is in two days ( hes eating large pinkies ( ones with just the beginings of fuzz, not much)

Old 06-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
rosewood
Haha very cute :P

My two girls in the vids are small for their age. I have a 7 month old golddust stripe that I picked up on saturday, he is 7 months old and way bigger than the girls. Just goes to show how different genes produce larger and smaller snakes. I would say your snake is around a year.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google