CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Contextual links appearing in posts

Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Chip
Contextual links appearing in posts

I have been noticing contextual links showing up in typed posts for various keywords. These links seem to go to affiliate websites. The problem is, CS.com does not authorize them, they are clearly going to sites that we are not an affiliate of. It annoys me, because I'm used to being able to click on a link in a post b/c I know the poster put it in. These people are at best stealing traffic. Browser is Chrome and I'm running every ad block app and extension. I haven't seen it elsewhere, but I haven't been online a ton. Anyone else noticing this?

Old 12-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Rich Z
I haven't seen it. And as far as I know, my programmer hasn't implemented any new code here for something of that nature.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
Nanci
You mean ads in the sidebar or Google ads?

Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Chip
It may be something on my end, in my browser maybe. It will be right in the text of a post. A word or phrase will be hyperlinked to a page that the user didn't embed. They seem to come from Sortfly.com if that helps. Tinkering with Ad Black Plus, but it seems to make the whole word go away when I report it as an unwanted ad.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
It may be something on my end, in my browser maybe. It will be right in the text of a post. A word or phrase will be hyperlinked to a page that the user didn't embed. They seem to come from Sortfly.com if that helps. Tinkering with Ad Black Plus, but it seems to make the whole word go away when I report it as an unwanted ad.
Chip that is in your system for sure.

Seems like you have something fruity in your loops.

Download this: Malwarebytes The free version is fine. Perform a full scan and follow the steps it gives you. Generally a full scan will take an hour or so.

Also check here: contextual links appearing on pages

Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Toddsnake
Chip, I have the same thing going on. Some words will be underlined and are links to unrelated websites. The words "Google ads" on Nanci's post has one that says Savings Sidekick when I place my mouse on the word and if I click it it takes me to Sortfly. Let us know if the fix BloodyBaroness posted works for you.

Todd

Old 12-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
Chip
DLing and running the program. The other link was like the guy was reading my mind! I am having this bug, though. Blocking them makes the whole word or phrase in the text go away. This is so weird.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Chip
Update, scan completed, no malicious items found.

I'll try to type something now that would create a link. I want a good deal on heat tape. And hotels. And tennis shoes. At bargains. That should do it.

Edit: Not seeing any links, there. I tinkered in Ad Sweep and Ad Block Plus, and restarted my browser. Maybe it's behind me. TS, you seeing it still?

Old 12-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
Toddsnake
Chip, still have the one in Nanci's post....none in your last post...I will try it also...

I want a good deal on heat tape. And hotels. And tennis shoes. At bargains. That should do it.

Well...when I was posting this I went down to your post in Topic Review to do a copy on you text and there is links on "hotels" and on "completed"...??

Todd

Old 12-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
Chip
Are you also using Google Chrome? Seeing it anywhere else?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google