• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cheap/favorite hide ideas anyone?

honey.bee

Reptile Gal
I know there are a bunch of topics and suggestions for homemade hides scattered around here but if anyone wants to describe the ones they use/like the most... Thanks ;)

depends on the size of the slithery one ?

I have several young snakes right now, so I use toilet paper tubes cut in "roughly half". Yeah, they love 'em. I keep 3 or so in each cage, scattered around. This is for up to yearlings.

Deli cups flipped over and with a hole cut in one side ... I mean small cups....

In general, Corn snakes like "hides" where they are in there pretty tight. It would seem "too small" to us, but they like close sides and top.

I also meant to say, with deli cups and the like, go for those that are not clear... they like to feel "hidden". That is the secret to the perfect hide.

Hidden.

I press the toilet paper tubes instead of cutting, so they can crawl in in, and have a 'tight' feeling. They also love to hide under water bowls when they are bigger (dog and cat bowls) and i have bought €0,65 containers for screws and stuff for the adults, they love it! And its easy to clean!

533.jpg

I made some hides from a tissue box that our snake likes when he's in his plastic tub while we clean his viv. I just used a regular rectangular Kleenex box and cut around it on both ends an inch or so below the opening for the tissues (so I got 2 hides from one box).

I tried using TP rolls first, but they wouldn't stay in place as he crawled around them, and he just went under the paper towel instead. Now he sits happily inside the Kleenex box hide while we clean everything.

For my adults I get the cardboard tubes from a local carpet shop (from when they use up a roll of carpet), cut to size they are quite sturdy and I throw them away when they get soiled. As Mick uses rolls of vinyl I also get the inner tubes from those for my snakies

My girl is bigger (boa) so I currently use a few sterilite dishpans, cut and smoothed. When I had Plissken, he was really partial to cardboard egg carton lids and honestly, fake plants. He didn't much care for cardboard tubes (paper towel, toilet paper, etc) and would only occasionally use any consumer hide product i got for him.

I have a bunch of babies right now and they have a habit of flipping the TP tubes into their water bowls ... looking for something that small and a little harder for them to flip around !! I'm considering PVC pipe pieces, which I may cut in half ( and then smooth out edges).

I have a bunch of babies right now and they have a habit of flipping the TP tubes into their water bowls ... looking for something that small and a little harder for them to flip around !! I'm considering PVC pipe pieces, which I may cut in half ( and then smooth out edges).

Flat boxes are good for keeping in place, I have Band-Aid boxes, toothpaste boxes, and all different product boxes. It looks like a pharmacy in there, but they are perfect for babies and disposable. I smoosh one end down on toilet paper rolls and angle down into the aspen.

And I am with Nythain, ALL ages love plastic plants! I got so many for really cheap on eBay, less that $10 you can get about 15 plants or so, different colors and shapes and sizes. And they clean up easily.

Cereal boxes and shoe boxes for my adults. The babies like toilet paper rolls and the boxes my kuerig cups come in.

I have found that my juvenile snakes like the thin boxes that heat and eat Indian food comes in. As other s have said a lot of snake can fit in a small space some almost any small size will work.

I have also occasionally used plastic flower pots or plastic bowels purchased at the dollar store. Some of these I have cut a door into then smoothed the edges. Thin construction is ok as you want to be able to cut as needed.

I use coconut hides. Buy a coconut from the store and cut in half using a jigsaw and then completely empty pulp and water, cut a door and boil them to get rid of all bacteria and there ya go. Two hides which you can use for both end of viv. They are very easy to replace and come in lots of sizes so you never have to worry about another hide when your snake has grown out of the last one :)

I have used an empty Kleenex box as a hide. I also use the cylinder tin containers that some booze comes in.

None of my hatchlings like toilet paper tubes for some reason, but I cut off the tops of fountain drink cups from fast food restaurants and cut a little door into them, and they all really like that. Vastra also LOVES her repti-hammock with vines covering it. My two two year olds have toilet paper boxes and paper towel tubes that they seem to really like, and my one year old has some inexpensive bought hides from the pet store that he really likes.

Im using a cool one right now for my new youngling! One of those gifty christmas boxes made of the tough cardboard, it has a lift off lid and I cut a snake sized entrance in the side with a box cutter :D
He seems to love it! Tight space and I can get at him if I need to with the lid.

I have one that I put a tupperware juice container lid in for a hide in a pinch- and now he gets totally but hurt if I take it away! He is almost too big for it and still won't give it up!

Plastic dog food bowls as water dishes seem to be a big favorite. For awhile I'd find some at the dollar store that already had a section cut out of the side.. extremely easy access for snakes!

Plastic yogurt containers seem to really get them too. Just keep in mind this rule of thumb.. the less you spend generally the more the snake will love it. :dancer:

I liked the little plastic containers that mints come in for hatchlings, just pull the lid off and cut a little door in it. Sturdy and washable.

Mine liked TP and paper towel tubes when they were small enough. Now I use the bigger tubes that commercial paper towels come on, and the ones that a rodent's timothy hay comes in.

I've also used cheap plastic bowls, using a soldering iron to make a door.

I use a small cat litter box for one, cut a door in it.

Recently I've used the black plastic tray that some frozen enchiladas came in.

I use cereal boxes for my big two-pound corn. She likes hiding in it or sitting on top of it.

I feel like I'm always on the lookout for things the snakes can crawl through and hide in :)

Back