• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Babysitting Gila Monster Mom

zorro

Old Guy
A friend asked me to watch her while he went away for the weekend cause she was expecting. Here are a few pics of her, she only had 2 eggs.
John
DSC_0520_zpsf63ce006.jpg

DSC_0523_zpsb9fcbdee.jpg

DSC_0525_zps8a39a5ec.jpg

DSC_0526_zps252f0edd.jpg

Nice! I've been on the fence about getting into those for a decade.

I love Gila's!! You are so lucky to work with them, even if just for a short time.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

How many eggs do they usually have? I would demand to incubate them!! Can you even imagine the babies???

How many eggs do they usually have? I would demand to incubate them!! Can you even imagine the babies???

I guess it takes about 5 months to hatch, I thought I had to wait along for corns and kings! I am going to have to look up Gila's to see how cute the babies are.
John

I have a friend who was bitten, and he said he was in so much pain he wanted the ER to amputate his hand! But yeah, gilas and beadeds always seem pretty laid back... Actually, I think I know two people who have been bitten by gilas -one of which will die of snake bite in the next 10 years if I had to bet on it. I won't mention his full name, but I'll remember to post "Walter has died," if it happens. He's been bitten by venomous snakes three times since I've known him -twice by coral snakes, and then by a cobra which cost him his collection.

I wonder if your friend that got bitten is my friend who got bitten. He posted about it here, but I've never been able to find it again.

I guess it takes about 5 months to hatch, I thought I had to wait along for corns and kings! I am going to have to look up Gila's to see how cute the babies are.
John

LaborDayWeekend-14.jpg

There's a start for ya. My first field herped gila. I've seen 3 so far, all from NM.

SO cute!

I wonder if your friend that got bitten is my friend who got bitten. He posted about it here, but I've never been able to find it again.

If he was from NC, likely so. I don't know of either of these folks being on message boards or social media, but first names are Dennis and Walter.

Not my friend :)

One needs a venomous permit to keep these in Florida. Which means the 1000 hours of working with them, and a home inspection.

SO cute!

If he was from NC, likely so. I don't know of either of these folks being on message boards or social media, but first names are Dennis and Walter.

I know a breeder that went to intensive care for a Gila bite (in the wild), although this was a long time ago it stays fresh in his memory to this day. It almost killed him. I have been told that Gila's have to "work up" the poison in their saliva when they get agitated and in captivity they have more of a "dry bite" with less. Just what I have been told.
John

Back