CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Moderator(s) needed here....
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #51
Dave123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemoNox
That and being grounded.
HAHA!!! I guess that goes for me too. And the hold back for adults is WORK. So there.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #52
desertanimal
Holy Batman! I somehow lost track of this thread until today.

I must say that I'm happy about the idea of having mods here. I've only frequented one other site like this before, and the mods there were good. All they really ever did was get rid of trolls. (They were so on top of it that they wrote Kristi and me asking if we were trolls because we used the same multiple computers and thought we were one person with more than one handle!) I know some people are worried about being overmoderated, but I suppose I have faith in the people here and don't really think that that will happen.

Also, thanks very much Brent and Dale (I really appreciate the vote of confidence and the public expression of your convergent opinion that I am a reasonable person), but I would like to allay everyone else's fears and say outright that I haven't the slightest interest in being a mod. Negative interest, in fact. I feel JUST competent enough to take responsibility for my own posts. Phew. Actually, seeing my name mentioned herein made my heart rate pick up a bit! LOL!

So, carry on! I don't care at all about how the mod system works. I feel VERY happy leaving it in the competent hands of the other contributors to this thread. I'll just stand here on the sidelines and say,

"Hooraaay MODS!" And then I'll say, "Hooraaaaay BEER!" I'll just change it up.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #53
Dave123
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertanimal
All they really ever did was get rid of trolls.
Yea, we could use that right now to get rid of that dtelecom person that is spamming as we speak.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:20 AM   #54
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
I re-read that thread, and I think it would be helpful for potential mods and members alike if you gave us your opinions on what went wrong in that thread. I haven't seen any temp-bans issued to the participants (yet), so I'm genuinely interested in how you view the exchange. I definitely see problems in the thread, but I don't know if my view lines up with yours, and I'd like to know.
I know Rich was being asked his outlook and in no way am I attempting to answer for him. This is MY (no, I'm not yelling, just being specific) opinion of the thread:

Post #2
wat ^ welcom 2 the site. i dont liv in de moins, so i cnt help. but good luk

Post #4
I've got a dictionary for under $25.

Post #17
[in response to] plush was dose a dictionary for under 25$ mean 2 me. its just a book. i dont need a book.01-19-2007 08:58 PM

Are you sure about that?

Post #18
Comprehensive Guide to Corn Snakes VS A Dictionary? I'm not sure which one would benefit more in this case.

Post #29
Chat-Speak is not normally received well here. ( and by the way I'm 14, spell check really help if you do not know how to spell a word.)

Post #31
Books and yourself obviously DON'T get along Shame

Unfortunately the FAQ and search features will not take kindly to bad spelling and words that don't exist

No matter how much you don't like dictionary's or use your age as an excuse for the way you present yourself, the spell check button takes such little effort to clicky and correcty!

Post #35
I'm glad your learning And you wont go wrong with the "Katy Manula"

Post #38
First of all, PLEASE take the time to spell out your words,

Post #39
[in response to]whos Kate Manula. give me the link to her site if u have it plz.

Post #44
e_c_l: Owhay annoyingway isway itway orfay ouyay otay avehay otay
anslatetray isthay? Owhay eriouslysay ouldway ouyay aketay
omeonesay owhay otewray isthay ayway?

Your chat-speak is equally annoying. You won't be taken seriously here until you start writing in real English...

Post #50
First there was reptile addict then Jizzyfizzie now E_C_L......just kidding,...

Post #51
So if you enjoy presenting your thoughts as a six-year old might, go ahead... we'll continue laughing at you.

Post #54
It makes me sad that you'd want to appear stupid when you are not.

Followed by numerous posts pertaining to the release of bodily fluids from a number of members.

Post #88
FYI, snakes would be VENOMOUS, not POISONOUS.

Then some more posts about the release of bodily fluids.

Then the progression to the discussion of "tone".

Then the original poster returns with some colorful language and hostility.

Now, somewhere in this thread I had said something about persons not liking to be corrected. This person came here wanting to get a pair of corns but was given more information about spell check then corn snakes. A lot of what went on within this thread was either not necessary or could have been done via PM and not publicly.

I saw the original post before anyone had replied and I chose not to reply until something was said about auction sites. My response was taken well as were a few others, while the majority were not.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:17 AM   #55
El Jefe
Well, well, well....I guess I'm out for a MOD. ...or am I???

Seems some of my comments in the aforementioned thread are part of the reason mods are necessary but let me address that later and digress for a while.

In my humble opinion, mods have been needed a long time before this and because of the lack of mods on this forum there has been a rift that probably will never mend or at least not do so in the near future. Most of us know about the rift and know that certain members have left and will not return. Some of these members were great assets to the community and it is sad that the straw got piled so high that it broke the camels back so to speak. We have had discussions about the "greatness" of these members and really who is great and how great but what it all comes down to is we have lost members that were (in my opinion) much "greater" than the trolls that ruined chat, or the kiddies that come here to stir up trouble, or the BOI-like threads that hurt reputations, or the nasty comments that come up in threads (yeah...me included), and the list goes on. Rich is a busy man...at least that is what he has said. He cannot be here all the time and I do not blame him one bit. But what needed to happen a while ago is what is just starting to happen. Moderators are an excellent idea and could change the way some of these threads might go.

Okay, let me circle back to the original thread. Sure, my attitude and posts in the above referenced thread were probably out of line. I probably should not have made the comments I did and had someone sent me a PM about my attitude I would have apologized and moved on. However, in that situation, I think a moderator ALSO would have mentioned to the 14 year-old that has been here for less than a month there are certain rules to follow in how you speak on the forum. My first comment about a dictionary was due to the fact that there was NO attempt at correct punctuation, spelling or grammatical correctness and it was also meant to be a JOKE. Most of us know that a 14 year-old should be able to put sentences together and most of us also know that a 14 year-old that writes a message like that (looking for a cheap snake) is not the kind of person that will most likely come through on a sale OR buy the appropriate husbandry supplies for such a critter once it is purchased. Still, however, that does not excuse my attempt at a joke that was in poor taste. I was going strictly for laughs and it was probably not the best thing to do...even if several peopled rep'd me. In my defense, though, I did add a bit of helpful information:

Quote:
Just a little hint: If you want your offers/questions to be taken seriously on this site then you might want to try and pose them in a more professional manner.
See I have moderator qualities after all. I can suggest the nice way of doing things and if I was a moderator I would have to watch what I say....

Hmmm...the best of both worlds? Maybe my hat should float into that ring....

Old 02-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #56
Fenderplayer108
I like Jeff's point. I think that a moderator on this forum was needed way before this, and not just after this incident. I think the moderator should be someone that has been on this forum for a good amount of time, and is respected by almost everyone.

No offense to the younger guys on this forum, but not everyone would accept to listen and mind a 12-14 year old on a online forum.

My $.02

Old 02-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #57
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
I know Rich was being asked his outlook and in no way am I attempting to answer for him...
To be honest David, based on the posts you flagged, this would be a very dull place if you become a mod here. I don't disagree with you on most of the posts you've flagged, but you're way off base on some of them. I employ a "bad Roy, good Dean" method when dealing with people like the original poster of that thread. I think she and I ended things on the right note as far as our interaction was concerned. I won't apologize for my posts. But when I say you're off base, I'm really not referring to the posts of mine that you flagged.

I really can't see what is wrong with the following posts. I think you'd have to be a real nazi-mod (that's nazi with a lowercase "n") to confront these posters for these words. The o.p. was beligerent from very early on in the thread. Why? Because she was asked to post coherently. Big deal. I think she deserved MOST of the abuse. Heck, she ASKED for it.

Quote:
Post #29
Chat-Speak is not normally received well here. ( and by the way I'm 14, spell check really help if you do not know how to spell a word.)
Quote:
Post #38
First of all, PLEASE take the time to spell out your words,
Quote:
Post #88
FYI, snakes would be VENOMOUS, not POISONOUS.
-----------------------------------------------------
Members: please remember this post if I'm listed in a poll thread as a mod nominee. I'd consider being a mod, but I'm not interested in being a babysitter or a micro-managing behavioral analyst.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #58
Fenderplayer108
Another thing Dean, I agree with you, because its not hard to spell check your posts.

Heck, there is a button right next to reply for it!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #59
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohrSnakes
I've got a dictionary for under $25.

Just a little hint: If you want your offers/questions to be taken seriously on this site then you might want to try and pose them in a more professional manner.
I still don't see ANY problem with this post.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:51 AM   #60
snake5007
Sorry, i'm a bit late here. My three choices for moderators would be Dean, tyflier and mbdorfer.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread