CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Moderator(s) needed here....
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 10:38 PM   #71
TandJ
Unfortunantly, getting mods from inside CS might not have the desired effect.. I have an understandable idea of what to expect, and I really think it is not going to be pretty..

Thank you guys for not nominating me. I would have declined the opportunity anyways. Being a former doorman does not help eithier.. Will I vote in the mod contest? Not likely, as we should be able to police our selfs and be responsible for our actions and reactions period.. In all honesty, there are some people on that list IMHO that would make decent mods, then there is others I just shake my head over because of their expressed opinions and additudes ( looks in the mirror, this is one reason why I would not want a mod position ).. OMG, I think I am agreeing with JoeJr, ah well that happens from time to time.. *lol* j/k Joe...

Choose wisely and carefully..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Old 02-09-2007, 10:43 PM   #72
Tula_Montage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandJ
Choose wisely and carefully..
Amen... I can sense a storm a' brewin'!

Old 02-09-2007, 11:06 PM   #73
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandJ
Unfortunantly, getting mods from inside CS might not have the desired effect.. I have an understandable idea of what to expect, and I really think it is not going to be pretty.
I think I may have to respectfully disagree . . .
A. If we are able to police ourselves, then the mods that are chosen will have very little work to do.
B. If they are respected members of this community, and voted on "by the people, for the people", then reminders from them to us shouldn't cause a problem. We know what their job is, and if they have to say something to me, you, the next guy/girl, then it's for a reason (and the behavior should have been corrected already if A was followed).
C. New people to the forum will not know if they are from inside CS or not. Besides, what benefit would come from someone outside CS? They wouldn't know the community, would probably not recognize banter/chatter vs. negativity, etc. It would be similar to the hell that is raised in the "wife swap" TV shows. How can an outsider "run the family" so to speak when they don't know what the family is?
D. The only problem I could see is if those being corrected can't stand to take a second to step back and review their own behavior/comments. Something I think many of us around here have actually done over the past few months.
E. As an aside, something I tell my swimmers "If you go in thinking negative thoughts (practice, race, whatever) you'll more likely get negative results." I think that could apply here as well . . .

Just some thoughts,
D80

Old 02-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #74
jazzgeek
While I appreciate the consideration of being put on the list, and I do want this site to flourish (especially after recent events), I entertain no desire to be a mod here.

In the words of Groucho Marx, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

regards,
jazz

Old 02-09-2007, 11:30 PM   #75
tricksterpup
Ok, i just really didn't want to add my 2 cents worth on this but here it is.
Personally, I don't do not think that mods should be picked by the members here. This will make it a popularity contest and who is favored. That isn't a mods job or why they become mods. They are here to keep an eye on the posts here and just police the really bad ones. All in all, i am not going to vote who the mods should be but will abstain instead. Its Rich's job to figure out who is trust worthy here and who isn't, after all its his site. I just visit here. Its a great site and that is why I keep on coming back and will keep on coming back.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:44 PM   #76
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek
While I appreciate the consideration of being put on the list, and I do want this site to flourish (especially after recent events), I entertain no desire to be a mod here.
I added my name to the list for both of your reasons . . . I honestly hope I lose the "popularity contest", but IF noone else wants to be a mod, WHO will take on the charge to help get the site back to some semblence of normal?! It's obvious Rich can't necessarily do it all by himself, and is looking for help.

I recommended you (if you'd have accepted ) because I value your judgement and your determination that this site continues to thrive . . . but of course, an unwilling leader would be no leader at all, and I'm fine with that too!
D80

Old 02-10-2007, 02:37 AM   #77
TandJ
D80 mentioned the following..

Quote:
A. If we are able to police ourselves, then the mods that are chosen will have very little work to do.
This is the way it should be... Unfortunantly, with the lack of responsibilty for ones sense of selfcontrol it has not worked out that way.. What ever happened to just saying enough is enough and walking away?

tricksterpup mentioned the following as well..

Quote:
This will make it a popularity contest and who is favored.
Its a catch 22, in eithier case and not everyone will be happy.. I know, Dale is going to nab me for contridiction, but I don't care who is the mod for the most part. Will my feelings be hurt, no, eithier way there will be some sort of bias, but I think I can get over it, and move on, even if it results in me posting more or less..

Dale tossed out this one...

Quote:

In the words of Groucho Marx, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
I could not agree more, and I understand where your heading with this train of thought.. I am not here to babysit, nor am I here to win some popularity contest, nor amd I here to pucker up for some good butt kissing.. I certainly don't want people to ever think that of me or Jenn.. Independant, and open minded is our goal period..

Essentially, if I read a post and I don't like how the poster writes etc, I just don't answer..

Rich can choose who he wants to choose, on the list or not, if I take issue to his selection, I have the accord to make my way out or just suck it up and play as nice as I can.... Ah well..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Old 02-10-2007, 07:23 AM   #78
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBogart
With the newer generations, there's a change in the misconception that all snakes are evil. Just go to a show and you'll see the children outnumber the adults by quite a bit, many dragging reluctant parents around to tables. This forum will, (and does), attract a lot of these kids. These kids need advise their parents can't give. Guess what? Now we need surrogate parents to watch over the children, and those that act like it....
I went to read that thread, and like most multiple page threads, another train wreck in action. Most of these threads leave me feeling sorry for the original poster...
This multi page thread... same... the debate is supposed to be over moderators, not explaining ones actions in the thread mentioned...
I believe there are a few good choices in the group, (who've been mentioned), and I'll be happy to vote for them. They also happen to be parents themselves...
I'm so glad I'm not the only one seeing this thread going down the same track as the one leading up to it!

Old 02-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #79
Joejr14
Honestly, I'd like to see the mods on this website already be contributing members who have been here for quite a while.

Some of you may ask why?

Because contributing members feel enough for this website to kick $25 (or in some cases $75) a year to him. They have a vested interest in this website and the direction it takes. I'd also like it to be someone who has been here for a while---because they know what it was like a year ago when everything was fabulous and are less likely to decide one day that corns just aren't for them.

But that's just my $.02. Thankfully, there are a few choices up there that satisfy my requirements, so those folks will be getting my votes.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #80
Fenderplayer108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Honestly, I'd like to see the mods on this website already be contributing members who have been here for quite a while.

Some of you may ask why?

Because contributing members feel enough for this website to kick $25 (or in some cases $75) a year to him. They have a vested interest in this website and the direction it takes. I'd also like it to be someone who has been here for a while---because they know what it was like a year ago when everything was fabulous and are less likely to decide one day that corns just aren't for them.

But that's just my $.02. Thankfully, there are a few choices up there that satisfy my requirements, so those folks will be getting my votes.
Joe; Why don't you be a mod?

I think you would make a good one for many reasons. You have been here for a long while, pretty much everyone on this forum knows you. You vest a interest in this forum, and I think thats what the mod spot needs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread