CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Rep Points

Old 04-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
mike17l
Rep Points

Rich, Can we just get rid of rep points, it has obviously gotten way out of hand. Right now there is a thread devoted to repping people. The whole point is so that every one in the thread can be repped. This is obviously not the intended purpose of rep points. Perhaps this site would be better off with out them.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
ArpeggioAngel
While I agree that thread is a little out of hand and is not what rep points were intended for - I also don't really see the harm in it. Just some people having some fun....

And I have not posted in it to give or get points personally.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
mike17l
I think there is a potential problem. As far as I remember, rep points were there to show the reputation that some one has. Someone with many rep points would have a very good reputation. There are some members who have many rep points, only because they post a lot of nonsense, and very little substance. I can think of a couple off hand. A newbie might see these people as "experts" and reputable, when in actuality, they are far from either.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
RobbiesCornField
Quite frankly, the rep points don't really matter to me. I'm pretty sure I'm off-handedly mentioned in your post, or that could be me just getting defensive. I'll be the first to admit that I do post quite a bit of nonsense, but I also do try and make an effort to help people where I can. I like to think that I've earned most of my rep-points, but I know that I've gotten quite a few nonsense reps as well.
You can eliminate the reps if you want. I'll still post nonsense (but keep it to the DYK).

Old 04-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
LBoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike17l View Post
I think there is a potential problem. As far as I remember, rep points were there to show the reputation that some one has. Someone with many rep points would have a very good reputation. There are some members who have many rep points, only because they post a lot of nonsense, and very little substance. I can think of a couple off hand. A newbie might see these people as "experts" and reputable, when in actuality, they are far from either.

I probably fall into that camp in your estimation, and I'm truly sorry if you view me that way. IMO, the rep points might not stand for what they did "originally", but it seems this whole site has changed and evolved from what it was originally meant to be. There is so much camaraderie here that I've never, EVER seen on another forum, and trust me, I've belonged to many. These people are actually friends, and they tend to use reps to show their feelings of friendship. I'm happy that the majority of my points have come from other long standing members of this site for what they view as my genuine appreciation and sincere feelings for others. If a newbie comes here and gets poor advice from someone who happens to have a lot of rep points, there are always a multitude of people who will step up and refute the "expert's" opinion. I really can't see someone believing ME if I say "oh sure, go ahead and co-hab..it's fine!" based on points. And if I DID post something like that, I'd get the well-deserved "smack down" from the rest of the community.

Yesterday was nothing but one of our long standing friends having some fun and blowing off steam. It's sad that so many have been offended by it, IMO.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
wade
Gee Mike I never pictured you as a whiner. But I can see your point. I can see how people with more points than you could tell people all kinds of crazy things like how they should be out shooting cats or something. An uninformed or uneducated person might not realize that would be wrong. The next thing you know Rich would be liable for the deaths of thousands of stray cats. Rodents would run rampant. Diseased fleas would spread through out the world. Plague would ravage the cities. And death would rule the day.

Rich, we gotta do something FAST.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
ArpeggioAngel
I have to agree that I do not look at rep points to determine if a member is an "expert" or not. I rep people sometimes just to say "thank you" for a particularly helpful post, or just to say "thank you" for a nice comment on a photo I posted.
I think rep points can show appreciation for more than just how knowledgeable a person is.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
jazzgeek
Maybe it's just me, but if I were a noob to the site, I'd:
  1. first take the time to read a variety of threads,
  2. see what everyone has to say regarding the subject matter I'm interested in/curious about,
  3. use that information to determine whose opinion and/or practices are of worthy repute,
  4. base my corn-keeping practices off of the information I've accumulated.

If I'm basing my husbandry practices on the number of rep points a particular member has, I'd think I'd be opening myself up to ridicule. How many noobs in ANY online forum depend on a forum "widget" to formulate their opinions and/or practices?

But again, that's just me.

Lose the rep points, for all I care. Or not. It's not going to change anything in the social dynamics of this community.

Thankfully.

Dale

Old 04-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Gee Mike I never pictured you as a whiner. But I can see your point. I can see how people with more points than you could tell people all kinds of crazy things like how they should be out shooting cats or something. An uninformed or uneducated person might not realize that would be wrong. The next thing you know Rich would be liable for the deaths of thousands of stray cats. Rodents would run rampant. Diseased fleas would spread through out the world. Plague would ravage the cities. And death would rule the day.

Rich, we gotta do something FAST.
I know!! Let's throw a "Teabag Party"!!!! Let's show the world our manufactured outrage!!!!

(And finally, Wade....a post where I'll give you rep points. I LOVE irony!)

Dale

Old 04-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #10
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek View Post
(And finally, Wade....a post where I'll give you rep points.
Or not. Evidently, I've reached my rep quota for the past 24 hours. Time to call in Kiefer Sutherland.

Dale

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google