CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

How to make your own Rheostat for less than $7! Detailed instructions.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #171
nickdolin
Thanks for the design!

I put one together today and my UTH is running just where I want it.

I got a dimmer that looks like a normal light switch but it works the same.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:04 AM   #172
Juniors Serpents
Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this. It took me all of 5 minutes to put it together. The best part no blood.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #173
jbot1975
I was hesitant at 1st but I successfully made one for around $8. using it on my ball python's uth.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #174
Eiram
I can't believe I'm just now finding this! My thanks go out to all the OPs but also to jbot for making this thread show up Seriously great timing as I'm in the middle of making several vivs and was about to buy 3 rheostats. This is still verified safe tight? Cause if someone was going to manage to shock themselves or burn down a house over simple wiring, it'd be me lol

Old 06-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #175
Eiram
Oops, meant to write "right" not "tight"

Old 06-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #176
Alicia P
It's a pretty simple staight forward way to make a rheostat. Just make sure all your wires are in the proper spots and that you've put tape where you were supposed to before you plug it in and you'll be fine.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #177
Eiram
sweet! I think a little shopping trip is in order for tomorrow

Old 06-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #178
jbot1975
just make sure your wire nuts are tight and wrap them up nicely with electrical tape. I also taped the heck outta the outside housing to make sure the wires won't get accidentally yanked.

I just wish the dimmer was harder to twist. I thought about taking a piece of duct tape and putting it over the dimmer knob to keep it from moving so easy.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #179
Eiram
I just finished making two and the house is still standing

I probably went a little over board with the electrical tape, but oh well. Yeah the knobs do turn really easy. At first I just made a mark with a sharpie on the knob and the plate behind it in case something bumped it but the dog's tail kept moving it so I taped the knob lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google