• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

found corn snake

KEYNA

i found a corn snake under a big a/c unit today at a friends house so i took him home and fed him. he ate 1 f/t rat pup
i think he is about 2 years old i was thinking about letting him go i have too many already 13 is plenty for me write now
but i have a friend that wants him how can i tell if this snake is someones pet and just got out or is it a wild snake
he is very pretty and did not bite or strike at me at all and does not have any marks or scars on him he looks like the corn snake on pg.74 in the corn snake manual. maybe a little lighter than that.
i just wanted to let him go back to the wild were he is use to being if he is wild but if he is a pet snake then i would not feel to bad giveing this snake to my friend
thanks keyna

Unless you go door to door asking your neighbors if they have lost a snake then I doubt you'll ever be able to really know for sure. Corns have been known on occasion to be just as placid and complacent in the wild as they typically are in captivity. Did your new found corn go all out on the constricting when you fed it the f/t? That's prolly the only way you could even come close to telling if it was truely wild I suppose.

My biggest concern with keeping it would be the chance of internal parasites from being outdoors. If you do keep it (or your friend) I would definitly take it to a vet along with a fecal sample and be prepared to treat it for parasites.

it did not coil around the f/t rat pup it took it nice and gentle

that was one reason why i did not want to keep it i think it may have been out side long enough to get parasites

If it was a wild snake it would have been less likely to take a F/T rat pup. Based on that, I would assume that it could have belonged to someone. It could have picked up parasites while in the wild, so you should at least take a fecal to your vet to have it examined...just in case.

You should also make sure it is quarantined away from your other snakes.

I have picked up dozens of corns from the wild at a zoo I work at. corns are so layed back and easy going you would never be able to tell if he is owned or wild. If he is wild he still would be a good snake for someone to have just get him checked by a vet to see if he has any pari.

CornCrazy said:
If it was a wild snake it would have been less likely to take a F/T rat pup. Based on that, I would assume that it could have belonged to someone. It could have picked up parasites while in the wild, so you should at least take a fecal to your vet to have it examined...just in case.

You should also make sure it is quarantined away from your other snakes.

I disagree on your assumption that a wild snake is less likely to take F/T food. I have several wild corns caught on my farm and they will eat almost anything. I always feed them last because I can use food that was refused by a captive born snake without any waste.

I do however highly agree with the quarantine suggestion.

Santa said:
I disagree on your assumption that a wild snake is less likely to take F/T food. I have several wild corns caught on my farm and they will eat almost anything. I always feed them last because I can use food that was refused by a captive born snake without any waste.

I totally agree. I have 2 WC that are just as tame and easy to handle as a CB. They also eat anything put before them without constricting.

I third that!

Yep, w/c cornsnakes are my "garbage disposals." I don't even thaw food out for them until I'm sure nobody skipped a meal.

I've heard the contrary with w/c gray band kings, but I've never run across a wild corn that wasn't a great eater of thawed.

My WC's do the same thing, if I have let over food it goes straight to them. They always readily except another meal. Keyna, seeing as your in FL. like me it is I would bet a good chunk of change it is WC.

Back